“Don't waste your money” 1 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   9909 Collins Avenue, Bal Harbour, FL 33154   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Bal Harbour
“Don't waste your money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

This was by far the worst experience in a hotel, ever. I've stayed in numerous hotels--this being the most expensive, and worst service ever. Absolutely none of the staff were friendly with the exception of the the man working in the concierge. My first night staying there I was locked out of my room because their door's lock malfunctioned so I was placed in another room. Because of their miscommunication, the terrible clerk threatened to call the police on me in addition to charging me for the extra room. My conversation with them that morning was embarrassing and uncalled for. There were many other problems that persisted with my week stay, but I'll save the time. Just do yourselves a favor a do not stay there. Worst mistake and I just wish I could get my money back.

• Stayed March 2013
Sea View Hotel o, Manager at Sea View Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2014
Dear SweetMarie1,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us as we are always looking to our guests comments to better our hotel. We apologize that you did not have a pleasant experience and would hope you could give us another try soon. Our GM and management team have been made aware of your concerns and are currently investigating them. We are reviewing our policies as a hotel and look forward to make some nice changes regarding retraining the staff and customer service methods. Again, we apologize for this unfortunate experience and would like for you to contact us so we can make it up to you.
Looking forward to hearing from you soon.
Sales Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
St Peter Port, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

The Sea View is reminiscent of a grand 30's hotel from the outside, but inside is is modern, clean and comfortable. The bedrooms are large and beautifully furnished - ours had a kitchen area and dining table and chairs. The views from the balcony are wonderful with the beach, palm trees and ocean beyond. The pool area and beach are welcoming and user friendly and the "pool guys" are so helpful. The location could not be better - the Bal Harbour shops are across the street and South Beach or the Aventura Mall are only a $2 bus ride away. It was our 3rd visit to the Sea View and we will definitely return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor and try and get a balcony room with an ocean view
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Sea View Hotel o, General Manager at Sea View Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2014
Dear Jocelyn D,
We appreciate your kind comments about your most recent visit with us. We are always looking for ways to satisfy our guests so they have the best experience. Hopefully you will be revisiting us soon as we welcome your return as always.
All the best,
Raj Singh
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I spent one LONG night at this hotel before moving over to the St. Regis (ie. heaven on earth). The service was awful from start to finish. The bell staff swiftly swooped up my luggage without so much as a "hello". Clearly, the focus was on getting a tip, not the actual customer service involved. Check-in was fine, nothing warm and welcoming by any means. The room was near appalling. It was so dated and dull. There was mold in the corners on the floor, it smelled of must and mildew, the bathroom was tiny, the carpet worn, the heat/air system smelled like something was on fire. I ordered room service lunch, the gentleman on the phone was absolutely rude. He hardly said "goodbye" at the conclusion of the phone call and didn't offer any beverage or sides with my order. I asked for "no bacon" and not surprisingly, my salad arrived with bacon. I pointed this out to the delivery man and he said this, "Hmmm, I asked them for no bacon". He didn't offer to amend the situation and scurried out. The next morning, I wanted to purchase a snack from the sundry shop which appeared closed albeit the "open" sign. I had to ask the front desk to ring me up and then they couldn't print me a receipt. He made a big fuss about it and finally was somehow able to make a copy from the front desk. All the guests were foreign and the hotel was just overall run-down and tired. I cannot believe the prices people are willing to pay for accommodations worse than some of the worst Holiday Inns! The hotel is absolutely not business friendly at all.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear SEGMN,
We thank you for taking the time to post comments about your experience when you stayed with us at The Sea View Hotel. We appreciate your comments as it always helps us improve our guest's experience. We apologize for your experience and hope we can make it up to you should you decide to visit Bal Harbour again. We are taking steps to reorient our staff to better serve our guests with the experience they expect out of a four star hotel. Please feel free to reach out to us should you have any questions as we would be delighted to discuss your experience.
We look for to hearing from you real soon.
Regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Spacious rooms, largest swimming pool in the Miami Beach area,, beautiful beach with a lovely mile long landscaped walk for jogging. All easily accessible for children and strollers. There is always a warm welcome at arrival. My family has enjoyed this hotel for many years. In addition . high quality food, at reasonable prices is served on the terrace, in the bar, or dining room and as room service.This is the place for an idyllic vacation.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Cynthia M,
On behalf of the The Sea View hotel management and staff, we thank you for the wonderful comments and hope to continue to meet you and your families expectations.
We look forward to your return real soon.
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I recently stayed at The Sea View Hotel. People who stay at this hotel also live there...On two separate visits i would lay out at the pool. I would set up my towel near the "cabana" area. Most specifically 3 from the end. A young man was sitting in the cabana not knowing it belonged to one of the "entitled" owners..When the owner came up he said "that's MINE" reminded me of a spoiled two year old who didn't want to share his toys...While the owner does pay and has his snobby little rights he just came off as an old selfish bitter old fart that didn't know how to handle the innocent situation with any grace whatsoever. Seemed to be jacked up on caffeine or something...If you are younger than 65 you will be young to stay here...kids don't have a chance especially if they are afraid of old people. Yikes.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear sophia F,
We thank you for your comments and sharing your experience when staying at The Sea View Hotel. we apologize if you felt uncomfortable during your stay in any way as we take this quite serious. Our guests are paramount to the success of the hotel. The hotel consists of shareholders as well as travelers such as yourself. The environment we try to create here is one that is welcoming and comfortable. Please feel free to reach out to us next time you visit and we will do our best to make you feel at home.
Looking forward to seeing you again real soon.
Best regards,
Jerusalem, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

The comfortable rooms and great pool--warm even on a winter day--plus the access to the beach gave us a feeling of instant vaction even though we were on a business trip. An old-fashoned but nice feature is the direct-elevator to the pool avoiding the lobby.We We didn't eat in the hotel because of our dietary restrictions,(there are kosher restaurants in abundance nearby) The refrigerator in the room was handy for our snacks. Our only complaint is the lack of on-demand movies. We finally had a chance to see Lincoln, but there were only TV stations on the flatscreen TV. On the other hand, the free wireless, often lacking in hotels, was another nice feature.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Jerusalembarbara,
Thank you for your comments about The Sea View Hotel and we are pleased you had a positive experience on our business trip. We are hopeful to have you return soon and enjoy the upgrades we are currently going through. We are striving to be a better hotel with better service as everyday passes. Hopefully you will share in our success.
Looking forward to seeing you again.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I have never written a negative review of a hotel until now. I feel I owe it to all potential guests to alert them to our horrible experience at the Sea View Hotel. The place is dated and unattractive, but that's the least of the problems. The first night I ordered two peanut butter and jelly sandwiches from room service for our 4 year old and 6 year old. They were delivered. The following night I called and ordered the same sandwiches. I was told they would not make them because the chef does not go off the menu. I explained that it was a simple peanut butter and jelly sandwich, that it was indeed on the the first floor menu and that the chef had made it the night before. She rudely persisted that they did not need to make this sandwich and the person who made it the night before wasn't there (remember this is a simple peanut butter and jelly sandwich). I asked to speak to a manager. At this point, she said ok and HUNG UP the phone. I called back a different person answered and I asked for the manager. He said there was NO MANAGER and I should call the front desk. When I called the front desk and asked for a manager they said they didn't have a manager but would help me. When I pointed out I wanted the same simple peanut butter and jelly sandwich I had the night before, he quickly apologized and said he would take care of it. He called back shortly to tell me the chef refused to make the sandwich because it's not on the room service menu. I pointed out that a chef was not required for a simple sandwich. That this was all ridiculous. A motel could get a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. No sandwich. No manager. I also asked for yogurt or apple sauce to mix my son's medicine. They said they could not give me yogurt because it wasn't breakfast. YOGURT! I didn't want pancakes. I said yogurt! The next morning I asked concierge to confirm that I was going to the nearest Whole Foods, he couldn't do that because he did not have a computer! A concierge without a computer! We asked for a babysitting agency as we were traveling with kids and we needed a babysitter they could not refer us to one. My husband asked room service for a paper with his coffee and they said they didn't do that. My clothes needed to be pressed and I called housekeeping (they never pick up). When I asked the front desk they said they didn't offer that service. Valet pointed to the parking lot and told me that was were my car was and handed me the keys. Isn't valet suppose to get your car? There was no turn down service. No mini bar for the waters they didn't provide. The sweetest man in the cabana man. But no one wants to sit in their old cabanas. If you expect good food and good service don't stay here. The rooms are dated, the air conditioner is loud and the refrigerator is loud. But worst of all, the staff can care less if you are happy and have no desire to serve your needs while you stay with them.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Athena D,
Your comments about your most recent stay have been brought to the attention of the GM and hotel management team. We apologize that you had to experience such difficulties with such simple requests for you and your family. Staff has been notified and reoriented regarding policies and customer service. Please consider The Sea View Hotel and give us another chance to prove to you how we have improved on your next visit.
Many regards,
Sales Manager

Been to Sea View Hotel? Share your experiences!