“The "Dead" Sea View AKA One Foot Inn...” 3 of 5 stars

Sea View Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   9909 Collins Avenue, Bal Harbour, FL 33154   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Bal Harbour
Boston, Massachusetts
“The "Dead" Sea View AKA One Foot Inn...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I recently stayed at The Sea View Hotel. People who stay at this hotel also live there...On two separate visits i would lay out at the pool. I would set up my towel near the "cabana" area. Most specifically 3 from the end. A young man was sitting in the cabana not knowing it belonged to one of the "entitled" owners..When the owner came up he said "that's MINE" reminded me of a spoiled two year old who didn't want to share his toys...While the owner does pay and has his snobby little rights he just came off as an old selfish bitter old fart that didn't know how to handle the innocent situation with any grace whatsoever. Seemed to be jacked up on caffeine or something...If you are younger than 65 you will be young to stay here...kids don't have a chance especially if they are afraid of old people. Yikes.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Sea View Hotel o, Manager at Sea View Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2014
Dear sophia F,
We thank you for your comments and sharing your experience when staying at The Sea View Hotel. we apologize if you felt uncomfortable during your stay in any way as we take this quite serious. Our guests are paramount to the success of the hotel. The hotel consists of shareholders as well as travelers such as yourself. The environment we try to create here is one that is welcoming and comfortable. Please feel free to reach out to us next time you visit and we will do our best to make you feel at home.
Looking forward to seeing you again real soon.
Best regards,
Sales Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Jerusalem, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

The comfortable rooms and great pool--warm even on a winter day--plus the access to the beach gave us a feeling of instant vaction even though we were on a business trip. An old-fashoned but nice feature is the direct-elevator to the pool avoiding the lobby.We We didn't eat in the hotel because of our dietary restrictions,(there are kosher restaurants in abundance nearby) The refrigerator in the room was handy for our snacks. Our only complaint is the lack of on-demand movies. We finally had a chance to see Lincoln, but there were only TV stations on the flatscreen TV. On the other hand, the free wireless, often lacking in hotels, was another nice feature.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Jerusalembarbara,
Thank you for your comments about The Sea View Hotel and we are pleased you had a positive experience on our business trip. We are hopeful to have you return soon and enjoy the upgrades we are currently going through. We are striving to be a better hotel with better service as everyday passes. Hopefully you will share in our success.
Looking forward to seeing you again.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I have never written a negative review of a hotel until now. I feel I owe it to all potential guests to alert them to our horrible experience at the Sea View Hotel. The place is dated and unattractive, but that's the least of the problems. The first night I ordered two peanut butter and jelly sandwiches from room service for our 4 year old and 6 year old. They were delivered. The following night I called and ordered the same sandwiches. I was told they would not make them because the chef does not go off the menu. I explained that it was a simple peanut butter and jelly sandwich, that it was indeed on the the first floor menu and that the chef had made it the night before. She rudely persisted that they did not need to make this sandwich and the person who made it the night before wasn't there (remember this is a simple peanut butter and jelly sandwich). I asked to speak to a manager. At this point, she said ok and HUNG UP the phone. I called back a different person answered and I asked for the manager. He said there was NO MANAGER and I should call the front desk. When I called the front desk and asked for a manager they said they didn't have a manager but would help me. When I pointed out I wanted the same simple peanut butter and jelly sandwich I had the night before, he quickly apologized and said he would take care of it. He called back shortly to tell me the chef refused to make the sandwich because it's not on the room service menu. I pointed out that a chef was not required for a simple sandwich. That this was all ridiculous. A motel could get a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. No sandwich. No manager. I also asked for yogurt or apple sauce to mix my son's medicine. They said they could not give me yogurt because it wasn't breakfast. YOGURT! I didn't want pancakes. I said yogurt! The next morning I asked concierge to confirm that I was going to the nearest Whole Foods, he couldn't do that because he did not have a computer! A concierge without a computer! We asked for a babysitting agency as we were traveling with kids and we needed a babysitter they could not refer us to one. My husband asked room service for a paper with his coffee and they said they didn't do that. My clothes needed to be pressed and I called housekeeping (they never pick up). When I asked the front desk they said they didn't offer that service. Valet pointed to the parking lot and told me that was were my car was and handed me the keys. Isn't valet suppose to get your car? There was no turn down service. No mini bar for the waters they didn't provide. The sweetest man in the cabana man. But no one wants to sit in their old cabanas. If you expect good food and good service don't stay here. The rooms are dated, the air conditioner is loud and the refrigerator is loud. But worst of all, the staff can care less if you are happy and have no desire to serve your needs while you stay with them.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Athena D,
Your comments about your most recent stay have been brought to the attention of the GM and hotel management team. We apologize that you had to experience such difficulties with such simple requests for you and your family. Staff has been notified and reoriented regarding policies and customer service. Please consider The Sea View Hotel and give us another chance to prove to you how we have improved on your next visit.
Many regards,

Travelers are raving about these Bal Harbour hotels

3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

After having booked our stay with ebookers I was disappointed to note that
- they gave us a room on the first floor view on parking lot
- breakfast association not included nord cheap
- the rug was old and stained
- the fitness room was not accessible at 5.40 pm (!!) . I was told machines would be too complicated for me
- they billed usd 18.- per day parking fee !

No next time for us

• Stayed December 2012
Dear isabellano9,
Thank you for your comments regarding your most recent stay with us at The Sea View Hotel. We take your comments seriously as it helps us create a better hotel. We are currently engaged in a new installation of air conditioning system and will be embarking on a renovation of the exterior to follow. So we are trying to update the hotel in phases as we feel that this is what the feedback has been asking of us. Creating a comfortable and welcoming environment is paramount in our guests' stay. In addition, we are reviewing our hotel policies regarding added fees. Our parking fee is most competitive in Bal Harbour, Surfside and Sunny Isles. For this we are proud of as it helps save money for the guests.
We hope you decide to return and give us another try and see what has changed for the better.
All the best,
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We just visited for christmas holidays and stayed for abt 1 week. The Seaview is a great location right across from bal harbor mall. There were a lot of good restaurants and shops nearby.

We found the staff and service to be very helpful and friendly. We liked having the room cleaned twice a day with a turndown service at night.

We found the food in restaurant to be very good. We also enjoyed eating at the coffee shop which is like an old-fashioned luncheonette.

The pool is nice and the beach is right in back of the hotel.

We had a very relaxing stay

Room Tip: ask for a more modern updated room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Sea View Hotel o, Director of Sales at Sea View Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2014
Dear Martyf842,
We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay during your list visit with us at The Sea View Hotel. We strive to make The Sea View Hotel one of the best in Bal Harbour and with comments such as yourself, we know we are on the right path.
Thank you again for your patronage and rave reviews. Hope to see you again.
Regards,
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Lovely old hotel with terrific location, but as you spend time here you realize that the owners of rooms here have rights superior to those of us who decided to pay $330 a night. Want to sit by the pool? Only over there away from the owners' area. And it's $10 a chair. Want to use the health club? Fine if it's within the few hours it's open. Want to eat by the pool? If you're an owner, fine. If not, move up to the restaurant where the service leaves a lot to be desired. We eventually gave up trying to do anything in this hotel, lest we discover new rules that restricted what we have become used to getting for this kind of rate at other hotels. We'll be back if we want to buy a unit. If we want to rent a room in a hotel fof three nights, no way.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Philip S,
Thank you or taking the time to voice your concerns. We certainly appreciate your comments and take your concerns seriously. We apologize for the way you felt that you were being treated in relation to the owners. True, there are owners who reside at the hotel as this is a condo-hotel. Seasonally, the owners frequent their property with the knowledge that it operates as a hotel. If you felt like a second rate guest, please note that is certainly not our intention. We have the utmost respect for guest and owner and treat the same. Guest experience is paramount to our management as we want every guest to feel as comfortable as if it were their home.
Please contact us again if you decide to vacation in Bal Harbour again and we will do everything we can to make your experience and awesome one.
Many thanks,
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I just loved this hotel. My boyfriend and I went to FL in July for a sports event and decided to stay at this hotel as it was in between all the places we wanted to visit. This hotel has great and helpful staff. They have a restaurant on the first floor (don't eat there unless you really have to). The restaurant was pricey and not good. The bar right next to the pool is a plus though. When you walk our of the back of the hotel you go through the restaurant, to the pool and right after the pool is the beach. It is quiet and not crowded. Perfect place for a getaway. The hotel looks old from the outside is nice on the inside. Super clean. Walking distance from a mall, restaurants and gift shops. The hotel provides a booklet with activities. TAKE A TRIP FROM THE BOOKLET! They book has parasailing, water skiing, snorkeling and all other activities. Sign up for ONE. The bus will pick you up and take you to the Keys. Once you are there you do your activity and have the rest of the day to sign up for other activities (which cost half of what you paid for the first one because the first one includes transportation). I will definitely stay there again. I forgot to say breakfast is included in the price.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an ocean view on a middle floor.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear patricia200820,
We appreciate your kind comments from your recent stay with us at The Sea View Hotel.
We are pleased that you and your partner had a fantastic stay during your time in Bal Harbour. We always welcome you back and hope to see you soon.
Best regards,
Sales Manager

Been to Sea View Hotel? Share your experiences!