“Superb!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Bal Harbour
South Orange, New Jersey
“Superb!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

We stayed here for five nights last week in a ground-floor, one-bedroom unit and thought the room and the hotel overall were impeccable -- well-located, comfortable and immaculate, well worth the rate. We had a great vacation, and the hotel was a primary reason. I'd highly recommend staying here, and I have absolutely no connection to the management.

After reading some of the comments below, particularly the one by the numb-nuts Oleg, I was a little skeptical about my choice. I'm contributing this review to make it clear that the place couldn't have been nicer. Our unit was kept spotless, and housekeepers were in no way intrusive. The linens and towels were top-rate, for instance, and the furniture was plush and comfortable. It's obvious that they've worked hard at these kinds of comforts.

We enjoyed having coffee on the patio and watching tiny lizards scoot about. The beach was easily accessible, no more than a quarter-mile to the east. The hotel is situated next to a bridge that connects barrier islands, and it sounded as if it might be a hassle to get in and out, but it wasn't at all. The shops and restaurants in Bal Harbour and Surfside were varied, plentiful and convenient. The staff was extraordinarily accommodating.

It was relatively easy to get to other spots in Miami that we wanted to visit, but, at the same time, it felt as if the Quarzo was kind of out of the way -- not another beachside high-rise. As for the "smell" inside the hotel, it's eucalyptus-based, very pleasant, and didn't drift into our unit. The only drawback I can think of is that the housekeepers liked to turn the thermostat down, but we simply turned it back up. If that's the worst thing I can say about the place, that's pretty good.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
QUARZO H, Manager at Bal Harbour Quarzo, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear David,
How are you?

Thank you for leaving a feedback about our hotel!

All our team is absolutely happy that they made your stay unforgettable. We are very glad that you enjoyed our patio.

We will be very glad to see you in the nearest future again!

Best Regards,
Management.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Benito Juarez, Distrito Federal, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

The hotel has a luxury rooms, Outdoor is well combined vintage-modern style. The interior well designed and modern. The staff there are very kind. The location is perfect: Is close to Bal Harbor mall. Excellent view to the Biscayne Bay. Very clean hotel and the amenities are excellent.

My family and I have enjoyed very much

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
QUARZO H, Manager at Bal Harbour Quarzo, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear Almaquio T,

Hello.

We are so glad that you took the time to write a review regarding your stay at our hotel. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed our room and design. All our team is absolutely happy that they made your stay unforgettable.

Looking forward to see you again.

Warmest regards,
Management
Kiev, Ukraine
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

This was the worst experience ever!
We arrived very early in the morning, our room wasn't ready until 5 PM... Really?
The view... it's ok, bridge right infront of your face, we can deal with that, because we
were not really staying in the room. Housekeeping is just horrible, they kick you out of the room, because they MUST to do it now, ridiculous. None of them speak english, aren't we in USA?
As I figured after all, owners of this place are Colombians. It's not a Colombia, take care of people.
At least all front desk agents are extremely helpful. Thank them for this. As I understood they don't have a General Manager at all. Too bad, should probably get one.
Summarizing everything, the worst hotel I've been to. I don't ask much, at least learn how to operate small place like this.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Lehi, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

My wife and I stayed one night at the Bal Harbour Quarzo and enjoyed it immensely. It was close to several places to eat and the beach. The staff was very friendly and helpful. One of them spent several minutes helping us find the right place to go have dinner and called a cab for us.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

The setting--under a road overpass. A bit offputting at first. The exterior almost looked like a low-rent hotel. But inside, it was nice and clean. I arrived earlier than planned, and my room wasn't ready. They upgraded me--nice! I was alone and on a business trip, so the big living room and kitchen were kind of overkill. Still, very nice of them. The hotel is across the road from the beach--also nice! But it appeared the Quarzo had no room service at night (when I needed it), so I went to the big hotel across the street and had a delicious burger.

After I had check out, however, I noticed an additional charge of $13 from them on my credit card bill. I called and asked what it was--they had charged me for a missing glass and a bag of potato chips. It was only around $13 bucks, but still. I didn't steal or break a glass, and I didn't eat any potato chips. (I don't even like potato chips much.) I asked them to remove that charge from my bill. (And again, I was on a business trip, so I could and would have charged that to my company, had I in fact eaten the chips or broken the glass. But I didn't.)

They said they would take care of it. Around a week later, I see a refund of $1 from them on my credit card bill. I called and asked them what was up with that, and could they fix it. I never heard back from them and my credit card was never reimbursed. I would think a good hotel would a) check inventory before the next guest is ushered in, to avoid this awkward situation, and/or b) give a guest who says she didn't eat the potato chips or break (or steal) a glass the benefit of the doubt. I am very surprised that they didn't make this right, as they seemed nice and on top of things otherwise.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

This is a great place to stay - and I would have give a "5-star" if it was a away from the brigde.
The room is very sound-isolated - so you will not hear the traffic outside, but the rooms facing eastwards are staring straight into a bridge.
We, a family of 4, had a 120 sqm apartment with 1 bedroom, livingroom+kithen, great bath and balcony - and we loved it.

Location: it is close to the beach (200m) and the hotel have beachservice incl in the room-rate. But as mentioned is is to close to the bridge.

Pro:
- great rooms
- great service
- great utside area, pool, beds ..

Con:
- A/C is noisy, and works well in living-room, but not that effective in bedroom.
- you hear people in the corridor rather easy.

Room Tip: 2nd og 3rd floor is probably better due to noise from the corridor.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Darmstadt, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

well i'm from germany, so my english is not so good.
But it's even good enough to see that they tried fo fool us.

i booked 22.03.2014 over spledia a room and there and at the quarzo homepage there was standing that i have to pay 10$ for overnight parking.
After i arrived (02.04.2014) they charged me 15$ per night and they told me, that they raised the charging fee more than 2 months ago to 15$.

how can that be? they fooled us.

but it wasnt the only thing there. We had worms in the room and they cleaned it not away.
after confrontating the service they asked us: why didnt you told me that there are worms?

so - i have to tell them how they should do there job? ^^

however:
good rooms and a nice hotel, but the service is arrogant and bad.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
QUARZO H, Front Office Manager at Bal Harbour Quarzo, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear Warsheepx!

Thank you for your feedback!

We are truly apologize for the misunderstanding.

As it is mention on our website and the travel agent that you used,

we do have an additional charge for the resort fee, which is $10 per day,

as well as charge for parking, which is $15.

We always make everything possible to provide the best

service to our guests.

Sometimes there are factors beyond our control but your

experience let us know what we need to improve.

Our team also tries very hard to avoid situations like

this to happen in the future.

Very Best,

Management

Been to Bal Harbour Quarzo? Share your experiences!