“All said a great time but definitely needs some work and attention to "hospitality"” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort

Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Bal Harbour
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We recently stayed at the St Regis for a long weekend... our first time away from our kids in over 2 years and to celebrate our 10-year anniversary. All-in-all we had a great, realaxing time, and while the hotel is slightly "overdone" it was pleasant and nice.

So the bad...I called in advance and asked for a bottle of white wine to be waiting in our room for our anniversary and surprisingly there was no welcome wine, chocolates or note or anything... odd.... the four seasons always has that!

Let's get to the check in process. We arrived at a very quiet time of day and were asked to take a seat to check in. My wife anxious to get to the beach, asked them to make it quick so we can get to the pool/beach. Despite asking, the check in process took a decent amount of time. First, the receptionist said to us "hang on for a second, I may be able to do something for you guys...." and left to discuss something with her colleague (manager?). She came back after a good 5 minutes and said "I am sorry, I thought I could upgrade you for free but I can't. I can give you a discount for the larger suite". We were already in an oceanfront junior suite, but by this time my wife is getting anxious to get to the beach and it telling me to "just do it". Boy do I feel as I have been taken for a ride. So we opt for the upgrade and end up paying more than I wanted (moreover when I get to the room - no wine or welcome).

Top that all off, the fire alarm goes off at 1:30am from a wedding celebration and wakes us up with strobe lights and loud beeping. The manager did take off the one night of upgrade charges but not that best start to our anniversary getaway.

After the initial settling in process, we had a relaxing time. The pool, gym and beach were great. We used the bikes they offer (for a small charge) both days to explore the trail along the beach. We enjoyed the bar and the J&G grill as well.

I would recommend the hotel to others, but just be aware of the front desk. They are a bit awkward (I think our receptionist had good intentions but clearly did not know how to manage expectations of arriving quests), slow and draw out the check in process for no reason (they tried to explain the proximity of the rooms as the layout of the hotel is strange and it got us no where).

I will likely come back and try the hotel again, but this time I am not falling for the bait and switch of upgrading me for free and then charging me... and I wont expect a welcome note, food or drink.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
BalHarbourManager, Manager at The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear gmh77,

Thank you for your recent stay and your review on TripAdvisor. I appreciate your comments, especially as it helps to improve our guests’ experience.

I would welcome an opportunity to discuss these issues with your further if you wish and can be contacted at 305-993-3310.

Warmest Regards,

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Fairfield CT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

The check in process was so poor, I almost checked out and went to another hotel before going to the room. I was told to sit and wait on a chair by the valet, after a while someone noticed me and “checked me in”. When my room wasn’t ready I was told to go sit in the lounge, but they could not tell me when the room could be ready, only vaguely that they “would let me know”. I asked the lady not to leave me sitting there for ages without an update, but that is exactly what happened. After 45 mins I had to seek out someone else at the front desk, who told me the same thing. I waited an hour and a half to get into my room – at 5:30, finally the second lady takes us up in a very snippy way and dumps my friends handbag on the table and says “ here it is! “ and leaves.
Hmmmm. No butler, no introduction to the property or the room features. My bag arrives, and the very nice valet asks if we need anything and we say yes, we have some questions for our butler. He summoned someone that will remain nameless, but it was a very strange. I don’t care about butler services, but don’t advertise them if they are useless and you never see them again! We asked 1. Could we get room service for dinner from the Grill downstairs, and 2. We wanted a coffee maker.
Answers : 1. I don’t know, they are very busy, maybe if you order 4 hours ahead of time. ( ?! )- he did bring up menus and when we called they said no problem, it would be 45mins.
2. I am your coffee and tea maker madame – really? So when we still asked for a coffee maker, and he said he would be back with one, he NEVER turned up with it the whole weekend, and when we passed him the next day in the hallway, he just wanly smiled at us like he had no clue who we were. We wanted to order some herbal tea before bed at midnight and guess what – not only did it not magically appear, it took 45 minutes. We just wanted to have some tea and go to bed and we’re up waiting for the private dining to show up.
Not ok for spending 2K a night, and one of their best suites in the hotel.

Here are the few good things. The beach service is very good, and the sushi you can order while you lounge there is excellent. Shout out to Fausto and Regi who are first class at handling all the requests on the beach. Also, the spa is very well stocked and clean, and I had a wonderful massage with Cecilia ( I believe her name was ) – highly recommended. The room itself was very pretty and nice, but you could be anywhere, like NYC, just with a better view. All the rooms have nice big balconies, but hardly any sun, so there is no sun lounging possible at any time of the day.

The bad – with the inclusion of the above, the light and drape system in the room drove me to distraction. How I wished for a simple toggle switch. The elevators, while I appreciate the security, were also a pain, especially if you wanted to see guests on other floors. A concierge we dealt with for a few requests ( flower arrangement for my Mothers b-day and car transfer ) were met with befuddlement and were not accomplished correctly. My Mother received some chocolate strawberries with a nice note welcoming her - we received nothing except an odd display of hard fruit in what appeared to be a mixing bowl on the second day.

By the way, the same thing happened when we tried to check my Mother in for one night, at almost 5 pm. Also we were told the room wasn’t ready. It seemed often there were a number of long faces hanging around the lobby always waiting, waiting. When I asked the lady again – why the hold up, she actually shrugged. Wow, just really poor rude service and not close to 5 star. I would highly suggest the management find some ladies at the front desk who like their jobs. I checked out one day early and went to another property that truly is 5 stars.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Sinclair36,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comment. We clearly missed the mark with providing you with an exceptional experience in many areas. Please accept my sincere apology for falling short of showing you the value you deserve when staying with us.

Kind regards,

Buffalo, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

My wife and I just completed a 3 night getaway at the St. Regis for a special occasion. The property was amazing and the service was even better. Our butler Marine, couldn't have been more attentive to our needs. She even upgraded our room to a full suite and had flowers and chocolates sent up to the room with a personalized photo as my wife and I just got married. The pool, health club and restaurants exceeded my expectations. The property is a great low key getaway to the craziness of South Beach, while still being a short cab ride away. I would definitely recommend the hotel Marine as a great butler.

-Matt Sabuda

Room Tip: Only tip I would add is to ask for a south facing room of you're looking to get plenty of sun.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
BalHarbourManager, Manager at The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Matthew S,

Thank you for staying at The St. Regis Bal Harbour during your visit to Miami, Florida. I am very pleased to learn that our team provided you with exceptional service throughout your stay. Thank you for the kind words and lavish praise you bestowed upon Butler Marine - I will share your good feedback.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the best address in the near future!

Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Just got home from a 5nt stay at this incredible hotel! The rooms were beautifully spacious and a perfect set up for 2 girl friends traveling together. We enjoyed every detail to the huge ocean view balcony to the relaxing "rain" shower in the bathroom. One evening, we had some difficulty opening our bottle of wine...and ended up cracking part of the bottle's neck. The next night, we got back to our room to find an entirely new bottle with a sweet note telling us to contact them upon opening! You are treated like royalty at both the beach and pool area...with the chairs, towels and umbrellas all being set up to one's liking! Yes, things are on the spendy side...but basically, you get what you pay for....top notch service!! My only "constructive" comment would be to figure out the fire alarm systems. The alarm went off 4 times during our visit....once at 2:30am. My concern would be if there ever really WAS a fire? The staff didn't seem too concerned. All in all...I would recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone!

Room Tip: All rooms have a beautiful view!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear MissSwissJ,

I wish to extend my sincere gratitude for your recent review of The St. Regis Bal Harbour. I am pleased to hear your overall experience was excellent and I look forward to sharing your kind comments with our staff and leaders.

It will be my pleasure to welcome you to our address again very soon.

Naples, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

The staff at the front desk were disingenuous and condescending. The butler phoned our room and woke me because the "do not disturb" sign was on the door. The room service order was wrong. I did like the jazz in the bar, and drinks were great. Just way too precious and pretentious for the cost.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
BalHarbourManager, Manager at The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear Chopstick224,

Thank you for staying at The St. Regis Bal Harbour during your visit to Florida and your review on TripAdvisor. I appreciate your comments, especially as it helps to improve our guests’ experience. Please accept my sincere apology for falling short of showing you the value you deserve when staying with us.

Kind regards,

boca raton, florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

My husband and I live about 45 minutes north in Palm Beach C We had friends visiting from New York and decided to take a quick retreat to Bal Harbour.
We decided to stay at the St. Regis for the weekend!! we loved it!! The hotel is gorgeous!! The room beautiful and very spacious. We were able to check in early as well. The restaurants for breakfast and lunch were quite good. I have to admit their signature restaurant (which was part of the reason we chose to stay here) was very disappointing.
But overall I would definitely stay here again!!!!

Room Tip: They give discounts to AAA members.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
BalHarbourManager, Manager at The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear beauoli,

Thank you for your valuable feedback on your recent stay at the St. Regis Bal Harbour. Although I am pleased that you were upgraded and have shared some positive comments about your experience, I am disappointed that it was not a flawless stay for you.

I would welcome an opportunity to discuss your concerns about our siganture restaurant J&G Grill further if you wish, and may be reached at 305-993-3310.

I hope I will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the best address in the near future!

Warmest Regards,

Greensboro, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

Came to the St Regis for a long weekend. Hotel is incredible. Rooms are beautiful. Balconies are huge. Bathrooms have an incredible rain shower. Service is superb. Food is also excellent, especially breakfast and the lunch sushi. Pools are top notch. Cannot wait for a return visit. Hotel is not 5 star, it is a 6 star resort.
Exceeded are expectations

• Stayed April 2013
Dear 1412510ark,

I am thrilled to hear you had such a wonderful stay with us. Thank you for sharing your experience, and we hope to have you back to the Resort soon.

Hotel Manager

Been to The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort? Share your experiences!