“Fantastic adult getaway” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Bal Harbour
NYC
“Fantastic adult getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Overall an exceptional stay with great service and premium amenities.
Property Layout - difficult to get a feel for this from the website. There are 3 buildings in the St Regis BH cluster, separate but very close to one another. The center building is perpendicular to the coast line. The end closest to the ocean, the "01" line, is occupied by large suites and private residence condo units. These are the only rooms that truly face full ocean front. The rest of the hotel rooms either face north or south. Facing south you will get sun on your balcony but you do look at a neighboring condo property about 150-200 yards away, which will obscure you side view of the ocean the further down the hallway away from the ocean you are. We stayed in a one-bedroom suite which was the "02" line which was did have great ocean views as it was one room from the end. We had looked at an "08" room and a "10" room which were further down the hallway away from the ocean and you could not see much of the ocean unless you went out to the balcony and looked left. Set back from the ocean on either side of the hotel building are two St. Regis condo buildings that run parallel to the beach. If your room is further down the hall away from the ocean you will see a lot more of those buildings than you will at the end closer to the ocean. The entire complex is essentially T-shaped. Each room does have a large balcony with two comfortable chaise lounge chairs that are angled toward the ocean to maximize views.
The grounds. There are 2 pools - a family pool which is somewhat small and has regular steps on 3 sides, no "zero entry" area for children. It is loud and pretty packed. The adults pool is relatively larger and less crowded. The pool-side cabanas priced from $150 per day are not that great in that you don't have any view of the ocean from them. The ocean-view villas priced from $550 per day are a real treat in that you get a great view of the ocean and lots of privacy plus many complimentary items such as bottle of champagne, mojitos, signature bloody mary's, large fruit presentation, waters. The menu in the villas is very good and the service is prompt and solicitous. They constantly come by to see if they can bring you anything.
The Beach. Nice wide and long beach with amazingly beautiful clear light blue water. Like the Caribbean. Beautiful gentle waves start to break a distance from the shore. Plenty of chairs and umbrellas available.
The Spa. Very professional and solicitous staff. Checkin was easy and you receive a personal escort and tour of the facilities. Private lounge off the mens and women's locker rooms as well as an attractive co-ed lounge with a view of the pool and private garden and sliding doors that open to the fresh air. Very nice facial with customized Remede products.
Hotel Lobby. The public rooms of the hotel are done in a high-design Miami style. Very formal and opulent. The lobby itself is somewhat dark and you do not get an open view of the water like you do in most beachfront properties. It is more urban in feel.
The Suite. The beds are new and extremely comfortable. Mattress very firm. Sleek and modern furniture. EVERYTHING is mechanized. Press a button on a key pad to turn on lights, open drapes, etc. The lighting was somewhat cumbersome. There was no way to turn on a small light at night to illuminate a path to the bathroom without turning on all the lights in the whole room. Had to use my iPhone. But otherwise very comfortable and beautiful.
OVERALL - the best part of the property is the service. They are very highly trained and very responsible to any request. People seem to be proud of the property and enjoy their jobs.

Room Tip: chose lower number rooms for better views of the ocean. Even numbers face south, odd face north.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
BalHarbourManager, Manager at The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear GothamAdventurer,

I wish to extend my sincere gratitude for your recent review of The St. Regis Bal Harbour. I am pleased to hear your overall experience was excellent and I look forward to sharing your kind comments with our staff and leaders.

It will be my pleasure to welcome you to our address again very soon.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I stayed at the St Regis for business recently with a group of around 200 people. Praises were flowing for this property throughout the week. The service and experience were five star all the way. As soon as you walk in, you are surrounded by luxury in the beautifully appointed lobby. Service was wonderful, the rooms were out of this world. Spacious, luxurious, beautiful views, comfortable beds, immaculately clean, I could go on and on. The fitness center was one of the best I've used, there are separate rooms for cardio and weights and both had top of the line equipment. The beach and pool are beautiful and service is available in both areas. The complimentary tea and coffee in the lobby bar each morning was a very nice touch. The only small issue I want to mention is the slight difficulty with the elevators. Your room key is scanned and you are directed to an elevator to your floor. It is very efficient most of the time but there were a few instants when I would scan my key and I kept being directed to an elevator that would never open. It was quite frustrating as I could not just get on any elevator because there are no floor buttons inside and I wouldn't be able to get where I needed to go anyway. The touch-screen technology in the rooms, however, was very innovative and nice. It controls everything from curtains to TV to lights and privacy requests, etc. All from the touch of the screen next to your bed.

The hotel is conveniently located on Collins Ave right across from the luxurious Bal Harbour shops and convenient to many delicious restaurants.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear SEGMN,

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor. I truly appreciate you taking the time to detail your experience, and I am so pleased that you had a wonderful visit at The St. Regis Bal Harbour in Florida. I hope to welcome you back to the best address in the near future!

Best regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Wrapping up a quick weekend getaway at the St. Regis. A great value for redeeming Starwood points - if you have enough. While this is it generally the type of hotel we stay at when going on a beach trip, it was a great choice for a two night getaway we tagged on to my fiancée's business trip in Florida.
The hotel is gorgeous inside - the decor is very stylish, combination of neutrals and dramatic sculpture, mirrors. Service was very good, especially reception and room service; poolside drink service can be slow. Sea view is a must. Breakfast on the large balcony is a good way to start a lazy day. The rooms are spacious (we had a deluxe king sea view), and the bathroom is gorgeous - very large, with a great shower, enormous tub and totally separate WC.
Had dinner at J&G Grill - too casual for this type of hotel, and food was good but definitely not of Jan George quality. The tuna tartar was particularly bland.
The spa was amazing - so glad we gave it a try. The body scrub is such a relaxing treat, and the facilities are very calming and relaxing. Not too overpriced in comparison to other similar spas.
Food by the pool was good and reasonable; go for the fish tacos.

Concierge - was disappointed with our Saturday night dinner at Baoli - see separate review. A good concierge would have gotten us a great table at a prime time, otherwise should not have recommended this place to us.

Room Tip: Pay up for the sea view, 5th floor or higher
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
BalHarbourManager, Manager at The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Ilbucofan,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comment. I am very pleased to learn that our team provided you with exceptional service throughout your stay and that we made your trip a memorial one.

I appreciate your comments, especially as it helps to improve our guests’ experience. Your feedback will be shared with the involved departments, for further investigation, review and training.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Kansas City, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Feel very lucky if you get a chance to stay here. I felt enveloped in luxury my whole stay. The lobby, the rooms, the facility, the setting....glamorous in every way. The rooms are gigantic, the bathrooms fabulous and the oversized deck overlooking the ocean just beautiful. A perfect place to watch the sun rise and set. There is a trail along the beach for walking or running every morning. We had dinner in J&G grill and it was wonderful. We shared the scallops and the short ribs and splurged on a salted ice cream sundae with caramel corn that was so delicious I am still dreaming about it. There were a few problems with service at breakfast and at the upper pool. We had to ask repeatedly for menus, had to send our eggs Benedict back because the eggs were rock hard, and one morning it took 20 minutes to get a smoothie. But the front desk and concierge were excellent and there was a woman at the lower pool who was at the door to the fitness center who went out of way to provide me with a blow dryer when I showered there after we checked out and spent the day at the pool. I can't wait to go back!

Dear knspr,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review about your recent stay at the St. Regis Bal Harbour. I appreciate your kind comments regarding our spectacular guest rooms and the magnificent views from your balcony.

We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all feedback we can get. I will share your feedback regarding the breakfast service with the involved departments, for further investigation, review and training.

I am pleased to hear of your exceptional visit and hope I will have the future to welcoming you back to the best address in future.

Washington DC, District of Columbia, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

What you'd expect from the St. Regis brand: top-notch service from a well-trained staff, a very good but expensive restaurant on premises, and elegant, richly decorated and well thought-out guest rooms -- almost all with a fabulous view of the ocean and beach.

What you might not expect: a peculiar hotel with an unattractive driveway entrance (reminded me of a highway ramp) and no lobby to speak of...because this was really built as a condo apartment house. The high-tech elevator system (you need to swipe a card) can be a bit annoying. The beach at this northern part of Miami Beach is clean and very nice, but the pool is cramped and reminds me of a nice apartment house pool - not one at a true 5-star luxury resort. All of this is due to fact that the plot of land is pretty cramped (no surprise given the value of oceanside real estate here), so --while they've done the best they can with limited space -- don't expect an expansive resort with lots of landscaping.

I guess if you want a Miami Beach -- meaning urban -- high-end vacation or conference venue, this is a good place. It's across the street from the (excessively) high-end Bal Harbour shopping center, but otherwise isn't in a particularly attractive locale (nothing you'd want to walk to nearby). But if you wanted a great beach resort, I'm not sure why you'd go to Miami Beach in the first place, let alone north Miami Beach.

Room Tip: Almost every room has a good view, but ask for a higher floor to get the full ocean view
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Frequent_Flyer_2011,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comment. I am disappointed to hear that the design and location of the resort was not what you expected.

We located beachfront, on the edge of the Atlantic Ocean. One of the most distinguished neighborhoods in South Florida, Bal Harbour is an island village of only 3,300 inhabitants located on Miami Beach, 15 minutes north of South Beach, and on the south bank of the only inlet on the barrier island between the ocean and Intracoastal Waterway.

Bal Harbour and the neighboring Miami area provide an experience like no other, with the ocean at your doorstep, the legendary Bal Harbour Shops steps away, and all easily accessible from two major international airports in Miami and Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood.

I certainly hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the best address in the near future. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly if there is anything I may be able to assist in the future. I can be reached at 305-993-3310.

Warmest Regards,

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Just returning from 5 nights at this beautiful hotel on North Miami Beach with my wife and youngest son. He has had the good fortune of having been on many continents and in many hotels. His opening line sums up the place: "This is the nicest hotel I've ever seen." Our agenda was intentionally unambitious. Nonetheless, my wife and son made it to beachside bootcamp several mornings and enjoyed their workouts by the ocean. We took advantage of long breakfasts outdoors at Atlantico, a few sessions and steams at the spa, and peaceful afternoons by the adult pool or beach. We enjoyed dinners on site at JG's twice and at Fifi's, O La's and Betto's off premises. South Beach is not far (but not too close either) and shopping at Bal Harbor is special. However, the attentiveness and friendliness of the staff at all stations really made the experience special. I can highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Peter R,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review about your recent stay at the St. Regis Bal Harbour. I appreciate your kind comments. Our staff has a commitment to each and every guest to create a discreet experience of bespoke service.

Warmest Regards,

Lomma, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

The St Regis was a pure delight to stay at. Everything from the view, the pool area, the staff, location, food was top class. The rooms were big (We had a grand deluxe ocean view) with a huge balcony (altough the sun was on our balcony only during the morning). The only downside was that you could notice a difference in staff's attentiveness on weekends vs. weekdays. On weekends they were fast, "on their toes" and great service. While the service was great on weekdays as well, the wait was longer (a couple next to us had to wait 2 hrs for their lunch! was given complimentary champagne but still...)

However, all in all - a great location that I would recommend to anyone (altough pricey!)

Dear lepetitgarcon,

Thank you so much for your positive review about your stay at The St. Regis Bal Harbour. I am thrilled to read about your great experience at the Resort and indeed, all our guest rooms, studio suite and suites have the spectacular and breathtaking ocean view.

We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all feedback we can get. I will share your feedback reagrding the beach service with the involved department, for further investigation, review and training.

I certainly hope I will have the pleasure to welcome you back to the best address in the future.

Hotel Manager

Been to The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort? Share your experiences!