“nice facility but disappointing service” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #1 of 5 hotels in Bal Harbour
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“nice facility but disappointing service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Spent a quick weekend at the St. Regis Bal Harbour; while the rooms are modern and have nice views - left feeling disappointed by the hotel overall. I'm not quite sure what isn't clicking at this place but all weekend they just seemed unable to get things to work right - from the moment we walked in the place just seemed uncoordinated and uninterested in guests. For example, having housekeeping in the room when we first arrived, and turning off key card access at noon on checkout day leaving us unable to get in after we had already pre-arranged for a late checkout. Especially disappointed by the pool and beach service - it just wasn't easy, as you'd like things to be on a getaway. Both days it took 30 minutes from the moment we wanted a drink to finally get one; both days we had to seek out someone to set up our chairs for us, and in both cases then stand around and wait for them to get around to us rather than somebody being right there ready to set things up for the guests. Similar situations of frustration with the concierge after requesting the house car to go 4 blocks down the road to avoid walking in heels and him telling us it did not run after 6:30 pm and then giving us no alternative... I would say the hotel staff attitude is more of a "too bad for you" versus a "let me see how I can make this work" attitude that you get from other 5 star hotels. As for on-sight dining the staff is very friendly at the bar of J&G Grille with a nice wine selection and we also had good service at the wine & bar vault; spa facilities and treatments are as expected; probably the highlight of the trip was avoiding the public areas of the hotel and relaxing on the balcony utilizing the in-room service which was prompt and friendly.

Overall this just isn't the service I would expect from a 5 star hotel at this price point. I'll try out one of the other many hotels in the area for the next getaway.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
BalHarbourManager, Manager at The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear MJM1234,

Thank you for taking the time to detail your experience at The St. Regis Bal Harbour. Although I am pleased that you have shared some positive comments about the resort, I am disappointed that it was not a flawless stay for you. Please accept my sincere apology for falling short of showing you the value you deserve when staying with us.

If given the opportunity, I would welcome to discuss your comments further so that we can examine the issues which you have noted. I may be reached at 305-993-3310.

526 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Massapequa, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

My wife and I needed a little getaway. We chose this property and loved the entire stay. Service was notably a standout. From Yen, who delivered the best service ever experienced beachside, to a very helpful and knowledgeable concierge Brian, to the front desk staff, gym trainers, pool attendants, restaurant, housekeeping and bell staff, each was consistently respectful, friendly and very helpful.

The hotel is only one year old. I would describe it as understated elegance, and very high tech. The rooms have spectacular ocean views with a large and private balcony. The location is perfect for some peace and quiet. A short cab ride can get you to the craziness of South Beach and all it has to offer.

We will definitely return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Chris D,

Thank you so much for your positive review about your stay at The St. Regis Bal Harbour. I am thrilled to read about your great experience at the Resort.

I am pleased to hear of your exceptional visit and hope I will have the future to welcoming you back to the best address in future.

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

I have been to the St. Regis in October 2012 and again in January 2013. Fantastic ocean location. Great staff that was better than any FS I have been to. Everything was perfect for both trips and I hope to be back this coming autumn.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
BalHarbourManager, Manager at The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear etm117,

Thank you for staying at The St. Regis Bal Harbour during your visit to Miami, Florida. I am very pleased to learn that our team provided you with exceptional service throughout your stay.

I look forward to having you return for many years to come.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here in jan 2013. Seems they are working out several kinks they had since opening. We were upgraded to a big suite for free and had a pretty amazing time. Staff was friendly and the amenities were excellent. Far enough from south beach you can relax, but close enough that you can still go to dinner. The hotel itself and its finishes are beautiful.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear App19,

I am thrilled to hear you had such a wonderful stay with us. Thank you for sharing your experience, and we hope to have you back to the Resort soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

Overall our experience at the St. Regis was superb everything from check in to check out went flawless. Rooms are gigantic with spectacular views and top of the line amenities. Some of the people went above and beyond to make our stay more pleasurable such as, Tony at the bar, Carlos on the beach and Lenny the butler. They were not only friendly and helpful, but genuinely seemed to enjoy their jobs. I do however have one complaint, that being.... the service I received at the poolside restaurant. The service seemed to be lacking the same enthusiasm. Im not sure if our server Leila was having a bad day, she just had a miserable attitude overall. Not once did she smile, ask us how we were doing, or even seem to care about us, or let alone her job. Looks like a typical South Beach server that already has her 18%, definately not the same calibre as the rest of the staff!!!

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Shizzyd,

Thank you for your review about your stay at The St. Regis Bal Harbour. I am thrilled to read about your great experience at the Resort and indeed, all our guest rooms and suites have the spectacular and breathtaking ocean view.

Thank you for the kind words and lavish praise you bestowed upon Toni, Carlos and Lenny, I will share your good feedback with our associates.

We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all feedback we can get. I do apologize for the poor service experienced at our Fresco Pool & Beach Restaurant, we will review your comment and investigate.

I hope I will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the best address in the near future!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

With family in Miami, we are very familiar with the hotels in the area - including some wonderful hotels like the Four Seasons and the Mandarin Oriental (both fantastic). From a service perspective, however, the St. Regis passes them all - though to be fair it is a very different experience and a further location.

It goes without saying that we had a wonderful room, but really if you have to worry about the room at a new St Regis (or any St Regis) then something is really wrong. The view of the ocean was also fantastic.

And though a quiet location, it has great direct beach access, is accessible to a terrific walking/jogging path along the ocean and for those who like shopping, is across the street from the famous Bal Harbour shopping mall.

But what distinguished this place was the service of the staff, pure & simple. From the moment we arrived and were offered acai champagne glasses, we were treated like gold by the employees of the hotel.

Best of all, we had a wonderful dinner at the J&G Grill where one of our entrees took longer than anticipated because it wasn't cooked to the chef's liking, and they pre-emptively brought out an additional food item for us and then gave us a comped dessert selection.

It's that kind of service that differentiated the restaurant but also distinguished the hotel in general. I should also mention that we had wonderful massages at the spa. The spa facilities were great - perhaps not as phenomenal as the St Regis in Puerto Rico - but very nice and the therapists were top-notch.

All in all, if you can swing the hefty price (or better yet use Starpoints) it's a wonderful, can't-miss hotel. We stayed for one night and about 24 hours and felt like we had a much longer vacation. It was terrific.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear dansac,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review about your recent stay at the St. Regis Bal Harbour. I appreciate your kind comments. Our staff has a commitment to each and every guest to create a discreet experience of bespoke service.

I am pleased to hear of your exceptional visit and hope we will have the opportunity to welcoming you back to the best address in future.

Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

This Hotel is really modern and beautiful, the room is spacious, and beds are really comfortable, bath room is really nice too, however, at night while we were sleeping the air-condition shut off, and when we turned it back on, it just would not go back on, We complained and hotel said they w check it out, for the duration of our stay the air-condition at night didnt work,and it was really hot, otherwise it was beautiful.

Room Tip: make sure air-condition works at night,