“Beautiful 5 star hotel with 2 star service.” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Bal Harbour
“Beautiful 5 star hotel with 2 star service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Staying there right now. Stunning spot. Great location but the service is poor in spots particular around the pool where have waited upwards of an hour for a hot dog. Drinks have taken 40 minutes so plenty to be ironed out.

• Stayed December 2012
BalHarbourManager, Manager at The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Cpearson24,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comment. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the hotel.
We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all feedback we can get. I do apologize for the poor service you received at our Fresco Pool and beach bar, I will share your feed back with the involved departments, for further investigation, review and training.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel in December with my family. I had heard the hype of how sensational this hotel was and how it was considered the best hotel in South Florida. It felt very cold to me and I was very surprised of how badly decorated it was for a hotel of such calibre. I usually stay at the Ritz Carlton in Key Biscayne in December and I will certainly be staying there again next year.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
BalHarbourManager, Manager at The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear Katy H,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comment. I am disappointed to hear that you dislike our holiday decoration. The choice of decoration for The St. Regis Bal Harbour is to compliment the modern and exclusive style of the overall design.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the best address in the future

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

“Could become best hotel in Miami but there's work to do......”

20 Dec 2012 BarryAscot
We only have The Setai to compare this to......we would have booked the Entertainment Suite at The Setai.....however our previous stay there was so fantastic that we didn't want to risk a possible let-down given previous management (probably amongst the best in the world) had been removed in a manner which shocked the hotel industry in Miami. So, we booked into the new St Regis. Comparing this to what the Setai certainly used to be like, I would comment as follows: St Regis breakfasts/breakfast service nowhere near Setai.....in fact St Regis breakfast service a disaster area where you have to ask three times for items....it is badly co-ordinated; accomodation better than Setai; beds way better than Setai; position not good unless you want to do upmarket shopping across the road.....it's a long drive to everywhere; bathrooms superb; St Regis is not trendy whereas the Setai had style. Pool.....the family pool gets best sun, main pool virtually deserted. On our first stay, a New York family dominated the pool....very LOUDLY...a very fat mother-in-law/loud...a loud-mouthed father-in-law....their married/rude/loud offspring and their grandchildren.....the hotel staff weren't impressed either. The son (or son-in-law) took a drink into the pool and spilt it. They were just so loud and vulgar, everyone else couldn't help notice. They were in everyone's faces and were oblivious to all other guests. In case this obnoxious family are reading this.....they were in action on 8th December 2012. When we returned 9 days later, staff told me that other guests had complained. Meanwhile it's not the hotel's fault. It's a tough call whether or not we would return here, go back to The Setai or try the Ritz Carlton. The St Regis has room for improvement....it's early days. I was particularly irritated by Concierge service.....not a patch on the superb concierge desk at The Setai. A great concierge service is important. Finally.....they add 20% service then expect a gratuity on top. I played the game and overtipped but I believe guests at a top hotel shoud be allowed to tip as they wish without such impositions.

• Stayed December 2012
BalHarbourManager, Manager at The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear BarryAscot,

Thank you for your valuable feedback on your recent stay at the St. Regis Bal Harbour. Although I am pleased that you enjoyed our services and product, I am disappointed that it was not a flawless stay for you.

Please allow me the opportunity of discussing your comments further so that we can examine the issues which you have noted. I may be reached at 305-993-3310.

Westport, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

My family vacations often at the Ritz Carlton in Key Biscayne, but we decided to try the new St. Regis in Bal Harbour, Florida as several staff recently moved from the Ritz to the St. Regis. I was instructed by the hotel to book the room through SPG since I was using Starwood points and then to call the hotel's front desk to change our bedding from a king size bed with roll away to 2 queen beds. This would be much more comfortable for our needs as I was traveling with my wife and teenage daughter. I was informed that this change in my reservation would be taken care of when I spoke with James at the front desk and we spent over 1/2 hour discussing room upgrades upon check-in. I was never told that the queen beds were subject to availability, although I was told that the room upgrades were subject to availability. When we arrived at the hotel to check-in, were were greeted by James, with whom I had spoken a few nights earlier. Much to my surprise, I was informed that not only were there no upgrades available but we could not have a room with the 2 queen beds. We were offered a "double upgrade" if we were willing to pay an additional $2,000 per night. I was surprised by that response since I had taken contemporaneous notes when I discussed the bedding arrangements and upgrades with James prior to arrival. I asked to speak with his supervisor to no avail. I then asked to speak with another supervisor and I was again informed that I was mistaken, that my vivid recollection of that converstation with James was incorrect and that there was nothing the hotel could or would do for me. In fact, I was told that the queen beds were already booked many months ago and would not have been available for us. I felt more misled by that revelation. After pressing the issue some more, I was offered the following: (i) free internet service in our room (the entire hotel has free internet service), (ii) complimentary roll-away (I've never paid for a roll away bed in all my years of travels to some of the finest hotels/resorts in the world), and (iii) use of a day bed near the kid's pool (which we never used since we were using the adult pool). The supervisors did offer to help us find accomodations at another hotel if we were not satisfied with their meaningless offers. Needless to say, I was surprised by the response from the resort's senior management, including not only their unwillingness to try and make the situation better but also there willingness to move us to another property. Not what I would expect from one of Starwood's "luxury collection" properties. But what made matters even worse was the dismissive attitude that I encountered from the hotel's general manager later that afternoon. I was again told that there is absolutely nothing that the hotel is prepared to do and that they would help me make alternate reservations at another property.

On a positive note, the friendly faces that I recognized from the Ritz were glad to see me and my family and they went out of their way to try and help salvage a very uncomfortable and ungracious welcome.

The bottom line is that this property is new and well appointed. However, perhaps senior management at the property should be just as concerned about welcoming their non-celebrity clientel as their more famous guests. If other guests were unwelcomed the same way that I was, it won't be long for the word to get out that there are many other resorts in the Miami area that will make you feel more welcomed. Looks like I'll be back at the Ritz in Key Biscayne for many more years to come and I won't have any regrets.

Room Tip: Don't use SPG points- you'll be treated as a "second class citizen" and will be ha...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
BalHarbourManager, Manager at The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear siweinberger,

Thank you for taking the time to detail your experience at The St. Regis Bal Harbour. As a valued SPG Gold member, we truly appreciate your loyalty in the brand and your feedback. I am deeply sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations during your recent visit to our hotel.

With your membership status, you are eligible to receive a complimentary upgrade to the best available room or standard suite, however this exclusive offer is based upon availability at the time of check-in. As we discussed while you were here on property, the room type that you booked was confirmed as a King bedded room in advance. Your request to upgrade your reservation from a king bedded to a two queen bedded room was noted in your reservation when you reserved your room a week prior to arrival, however due to high volume of business which are mainly families traveling with children during Christmas and New Years, we were not able to accommodate an upgrade as this room type was fully booked. We do guarantee the room type that is reserved, and as such, your king bedded room was provided to you as guaranteed.

As we discussed, it remains my desire to continue your loyalty to the brand and The St. Regis Bal Harbour, and I welcome the opportunity to assist you with future reservations. I may be reached at 305-993-3310.

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

What can you say....it's the St. Regis. From the check-in (sit down check-in with champagne) to the hotel shuttle (Rolls Royce Phantom) and everything in between. No detail is forgotten or missed. In fact each detail is taken to the ump-tenth level and more. With special thanks to Carla and Jessie on the beach crew to Chantal, the pool bartender. From this point forward myself and my girlfriend will compare all other hotels and resorts to this standard.

Room Tip: Get the suite on a high floor with ocean view. It's amazing!!!!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear HJohnSIII,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review about your recent stay at the St. Regis Bal Harbour. I appreciate your kind comments. our staff has a commitment to each and every guest to create a discreet experience of bespoke service.

I am pleased to hear of your exceptional visit and hope we will have the opportunity to welcoming you back to the best address in future.

Warmest Regards,

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Let me start off with saying, my husband and I frequent to St. Regis properties and while we usually stay at beach front resorts, we knew we couldn't expect such extravagance at a Miami property; we had already gone in with slightly lowered expectations.

PROPERTY: When you walk into the hotel, it's gorgeous -- I see people complaining about the crystals and calling it tacky, etc, but frankly we found it beautiful and different. Could it be out of style and seem tacky in years from now? Maybe. But Miami is already full of tacky art deco style. Anyway! The property is still beautiful and fresh.

POOLS: There are two pools: one of which is main, the other considered the tranquility pool. To start off, I don't mind family-friendly places, but the main pool was just full of kids. Maybe it was the weekend we were there, but there were kids everywhere and they were running around and jumping all over the pool and no one stopping them. So, we moved on to the tranquil pool. This was fine, until of course kids starting running around up there too, and were never asked to quiet down. It was a little much, we didn't find ourselves at the pool as often after that.

ROOMS (OCEANFRONT JR SUITE): The lobby is equipped with smart elevators meaning that all you do is swipe your card, and you are told which elevator to go to and just walk in - no buttons, you are taken to your floor. We stayed in a suite which was interesting because upon exiting the elevator, there are only two rooms you can enter -- not a long hall where you need to go find your room. The rooms are large with a stocked kitchenette and oversized balcony. Bathroom is typical St. Regis with two sinks, bathtub, separate shower and toilet areas. The room is clean and comfortable and we enjoyed hanging out in it.
--CONS: The problem with the balcony is that even though it's ocean front, there is zero privacy -- I can see all my neighbors, side to side above and below. Like another reviewer complained, however, it is tough to work -- there is no desk in even such a large room, so my husband had to work from the bed during our stay. Lighting is also interesting, you can set the mood, though it gets confusing. There is also only one closet so we were fighting a bit over space and hangers, and my one other gripe is there are no full sized mirrors! It was a pain to get ready.

BAR: Our very first night, we were surprised to be turned away from the lobby bar due to a private event -- it was off putting, just like another reviewer commented, and we weren't too pleased about it. We were still able to walk over to the J&G restaurant bar, but that's not the point - we wanted to go sit outside by the lobby bar and take in the fresh air... we were escaping from the cold winter after all. Anyway, the drinks are good, the bartenders very friendly.

GYM: no complaints here. There is a full cardio room and a separate weight room, I never had an issue. A nice touch is they wipe down machines and already have a towel and water bottle waiting for you.

DINING: Excellent, five stars across the board. I cannot rave enough about the food. We'd leave downtown to come back to the hotel and eat. J&G is also fantastic, I definitely recommend it for at least one of the nights.

SERVICE: This is pretty hit or miss. You have staff even managers walking by you and maybe smiling if they feel like it and there's nothing cozy about it. I don't expect to be treated like a queen here, but St. Regis is known for service and when you're going to a highly rated location as Bal Harbour, you'd just think they were on top of their service. The maids I'd like to point out were exceptionally nice. Turn down service is also great, and you are given two bottles of waters and a couple of chocolates.

VALET: is expensive. It's $38 plus tax a night. Apparently those who dine at J&G can get their ticket validated for a lower rate, though no one at St. Regis told us that and nor do they discount for hotel patrons. Further, on our way out, we were asked if we wanted water.

Overall, this property is worth checking out - it raises the bar for a Miami property but it needs some work - and don't count on it being your next favorite destination for the price you pay. You also can't visit expecting it to compare to other St. Regis properties.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Vionnets,

Thank you for taking the time to detail your experience at The St. Regis Bal Harbour. I am deeply sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations during your recent visit to our hotel.

Chile
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

I recently stayed at the St. Regis for the second time in a couple of months, and wanted to share some observations.
I agree that the hotel has first class rooms, nevertheless there are differences between them. This time we stayed at suite 1703, which was smaller than the previous one we had the weekend of the storm, last October. I did appreciate the well stocked kitchen unit, which I didn't request. On the other hand there were several no-no's that I want to point out. There was only a small conventional closet (I mean SMALL), and no walk in how I had experienced before. Also there was no large body mirror, which everybody would understand, it's a must for any lady who will need to get ready before leaving the room. Unbelievable! Finally, there was no office desk to set up a work place! Seriously, it doesn't seems real at a property like this, I'm just talking about basic setting on a suite of this level, there was a dresser, where there's no possibility of accommodating if you need to work on a computer. We are talking here about an US$700 per night room, let's keep that in mind, it's not like I'm demanding exhorbitating luxuries.
The balconies are nice and roomy, but the lack of privacy issue is a fact. Early in the morning I was awaked by my neighbor, who prayed enthusiastically from his Torah, which I think it's an act that definitely needs privacy.
The butler issue is like previous reviewers have mentioned. We were never greeted by her/him, and only were contacted at the moment we were leaving the hotel, which felt like "I have to do this since it's my duty, but I'm sure you'll have no opportunity now to request anything from me". Useless.
In general, the attitude of the staff, either at the general areas, breakfast areas, poolside or beach, was courteous but very impersonal, which you can tell if you stay over five nights, like in our case. Nobody knows your name or tries to learn. I think that should be looked into.
We were never asked how our stay was going, if we needed something (I think that should go back into the butler's comments).
My final observation, which I think is the most important, is the one regarding the private events held at the property. It seems that the hotel is very trendy, and that reflects in the number of events that take place. During our stay there was at least one each night. Staying at the seventeenth floor, I thought the noise and music wouldn't be an issue, but contrary to my guessing, I had to close the windows and increase the television volume to try to take it away from the background. If you are trying to experience a nice quiet time, people should we warned that this could be an issue, again, in an hotel charging you this kind of money per night. But the absolutely unnaceptable point was, that on our first or second evening staying here, we decided to go for a drink and enjoy the nice weather outdoors after dinner, and we were DENIED access to the outdoor area, by a security staff person due to a private event. I'm not referring to a specific deck or balcony or part of a restaurant, we couldn't access any area near the pool or its surroundings. I thought being a paying guest would grant me the right to stroll around the public areas of the hotel but I was wrong. And with nightly private events, this was repeated every night, meaning you couldn't stay outdoors or neither on your private balcony due to the noise. I strongly believe that with this kind of price range, you can't be a quiet witness in a hotel crowded at nightime with attendees of some party that didn't pay a dime to be allowed in, and in disbelief be denied the access to public areas, that you paid to enjoy.
The hotel should be able to grant comfort to the paying guests no matter what events are taking place on the premises, any other arrangement it's just not acceptable. If this is what the guests should expect, they should be warned of this problems ahead of time when the confirmation of the reservations are taking place. It makes you think who is the hotel targeting, the loyal returning guest or the easy make-big-bucks-fast-one-night-deal.
I really felt that I didn't got what I payed for.
Finally, I would like to include my email address, in case my observations are relevant to the management, and explanations might be given.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
BalHarbourManager, Manager at The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear Clandrea,

Thank you for your valuable feedback on your recent stay at the St. Regis Bal Harbour. Although I am pleased that you were upgraded and have shared some positive comments about your experience, I am disappointed that it was not a flawless stay for you.

I will reach out to your personal email to discuss your comments further so that we can examine the issues which you have noted.

Hotel Manager

Been to The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort? Share your experiences!