“luxury as you know it redefined” 5 of 5 stars

Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Bal Harbour
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, England, United Kingdom
“luxury as you know it redefined”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

When picking hotels I was well aware that as a city built on tourism, Miami has shortage of amazing beachfront properties which tick all the ‘great holiday’ boxes. However, since I was travelling with my mum, I was looking for something that little bit more special.

The Hotel

The St Regis Bal Harbour opened on the 19 January of this year. Located in one of Miami’s wealthiest neighbourhoods it is a 15 minute drive from the pulsing mayhem of South Beach. If you’ve ever stayed in a St Regis you’ll know that apart from the amazing rooms and service there are the little extras that make any trip unforgettable.

As I'm typing this Tyler my personal St Regis Butler is wrapping my dresses in tissue paper, folding my purchases and packing everything neatly into my suitcase. And in the morning the complementary St Regis chauffeur driven Bentley is unavoidably going to ferry me on a last minute dash to the shops. Oh, and before bed there are the delicious handmade gourmet chocolates that send me off into a sweet satisfied slumber. Holidays don't get any better and it is these little gestures which made me choose the St Regis.

The moment I walked through the doors, I thought 'wow' and I am not easily wowed. The hotel was designed by Seiger Suarez Architectural Partnership with interiors by renowned studio Yabu Pushelberg. There is a delicate balance of beautiful luxury but that doesn’t descend into tasteless over-the-top opulence. Marble, mirrors and handcut crystal chandeliers. Lilac coloured blooms which bring the spaces to life and friendly, sunny staff. Many of the other hotels in Miami were built in the 90s or early noughties and don't necessarily have the same 'wow factor' you expect when shelling out for a five-star.

The Rooms

We stayed in a deluxe oceanfront room on the 21st floor which opened up onto the most gorgeous azure view of the Atlantic Ocean.

All rooms at the St Regis are 'smart'. There are no switches to flick on or off. Everything can be done from the comfort of your bed or from super simple touch panels on the walls. Want to draw the curtains? Swipe your finger. Switch on the lights? Swipe your finger. Play moody jazz or classical chill-out? ... yup, you guessed it; swipe your finger. It's a bit like having a magic wand.

Everything in the rooms is designed for ultimate comfort. The beds are like everything else in America, supersized. There is a nightly turn-down service (remember those chocolates?) and bottles of Fiji water for every guest. Slippers, bathrobes and a million goodies in the bathrooms to perk you up after a long soak in the massive marble bath. An ipod connecter and stereo system mean you can bring the party back to yours after a night on South Beach. And if you can't face the beach in the morning you can collapse on the sofa-lounger on the balcony and still catch the rays.

The Facilities
As a five star the St Regis has everything you could want. There are two swimming pools, jacuzzi, beach, spa, state of the art gym and two restaurants. The food throughout the Hotel is delicious and I've posted a review of breakfast here, if you are interested.

I've now moved from my room to the bar. It’s a balmy evening and there is a quartet of musicians playing live Latin jazz and couples dancing the salsa cheek-to-cheek. It could aptly serve as the setting for a modern day Casablanca, except that there's no Bogey making sultry chocolate eyes at me from across the room, which is about the only thing the St Regis can't provide.

As I sit here, gently swaying to a jazzy improvisation of Louis Armstrong's 'It's a Wonderful World' (no really!) I can't help but feel a tinge of sadness to be leaving this beautiful little haven of tranquility and all the happy memories its given me. However, can't shake the feeling that it's Hasta La Vista, Baby.... I'll be back.

Read full review on www.the-luxury-marionette.com

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Delaware, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

This hotel is quite fabulous. I spent two nights here at the end of February for a conference, at a (group) rate that was an 84% discount from the rack rate posted on the card inside the closet. I felt very lucky, even if no one ever pays that rack rate; even a 50% discount was still stunningly high.

The room was massive, and very luxurious. I think it was a standard king room, on the 21st floor. It was probably about 600 square feet of interior space, with an entryway with closet, large bathroom with separate tub and big "rain" shower, separate room for the toilet that also has a sink, a dressing room/closet, bedroom with king bed, desk, and a sofa seating area, and a very spacious sea-facing balcony with two huge armchair/ottoman combos as well as a table and chairs.

The lighting system takes some getting used to. Everything is electronic and controlled via touch-pads or a touch-screen monitor by the bed. It was not that hard to use, but trickier than normal light switches. At least I was not reduced to pulling lamp plugs out of the wall to turn them off, as I have had to do at some hotels in the past. I did not have any trouble with opening/closing the drapes or with lights mysteriously turning on and off, as another reviewer noted; I guess this kink has been worked out.

I didn't eat at any of the hotel restaurants (my conference provided breakfast and lunch, and I spent my one dinner at an outside place), so can't comment on them. I did spend a bit of time at the pool area, which is pleasant although not particularly memorable. Although the hotel was sold out and the weather was gorgeous--sunny and 80s--the pool was mostly deserted. The hotel has its own beach area as well, with loungers for guests (it was also mostly empty). There is a generously sized fitness center, which I passed by on my way out the door to run along the beach path.

Service was extremely friendly all around. It was even a little over-the-top for a property in the US, where I am more used to the staff just nodding and smiling at you (at best), rather than making conversation with every guest they come across. But I'm not going to complain about people being too nice!

The one thing that hit a wrong note was the bizarre elevator system. The elevators do not have buttons inside, but instead have to be directed via a touch screen before you get in, or by swiping your room key on a pad outside the elevators. The screen then tells you which elevator to get into, and the computer tells the elevator where to stop. This would work fine if it actually did work. But half the time the elevator door you're directed to just never opens, or it opens and is going up when you wanted to go down, or vice versa. And the only floors you can go to are the lobby, ballroom floor, conference floor, or the floor that your room is on. There is no way to go to any other floor (what if you have a friend with a room on another floor? Too bad, you've got to meet them in the lobby.) The whole system was kind of infuriating.

My one other quibble, and this is also quite irksome to me, was the lack of coffee/tea facilities in the room...sadly all too common in high-end hotels in the US. Yes, there is a setup in the lobby bar, but when I am wandering around in my pajamas at 7 AM or 10 PM I do not want to trek down to the lobby to get my cup of tea.

Overall, I was very pleased with this place and felt quite fortunate to be staying there.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
clarence, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

We had heard about the newest property for St Regis. We needed a quick getaway and decided to stay there. It's a spectacular property. Very modern in every way. Technology and state of the art features are part of the experience.

The rooms are beautiful and every need is thought of. The bathrooms are exactly what you look for in a home away from home. A neat idea....the toilet area is separate from the shower/tub area. We were on a higher floor, but the elevators are so fast and efficient (just a wave of the room key registers what floor you are staying) it didn't matter.

The staff is very friendly and eager to help. Each and every one. They certainly make you feel welcome.

Loved the restaurant! Top quality food in great preparations.

The pool was a hilight of the trip....as we hit bad weather for our entire stay. The pool was
at 87 degrees....unheard of at a hotel pool. Thanks so much for that special touch!

The property is directly across the street from the famed Bal Harbour shops. If you like to shop, you will love it here. Great restaurant spots too. We loved that we checked in for four nights....did not have to rent a car....could walk to restaurants (there are a bunch of local spots just up one street, beside the mall dining spots) and shopping. It was a relaxing long weekend.with no stress.

Also....if you love spa treatments....the Remede Spa is top notch. Don't miss the experience.

The hotel location is also great for the beach walking path that runs all the way to South Beach....too far on foot.....but a great place to start the day if you like to exercise. We loved that.

Our only complaints.....we asked for ice each day. (guests do not have access to ice machines) and it took forever to get it. Also....there is complimentary coffee/tea set up in the bar each morning. We were never told about it. We ordered coffee (expensive room service) our first two mornings before we discovered the great set up on the third day. They should tell you this when you check in! The other complaint......the patio design of the rooms. If you are on your patio/lanai.....everyone can see you . There is absolutely no privacy. I'm sure there is a reason for this.....but it seems like they could have done something so that eveyone isn't watching everyone else.

Room Tip: We were on a high floor. I overheard one of the staff saying that the best rooms are mid way up...
Poughkeepsie, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed here (2/9-2/12) and had the most amazing getaway. Before we even checked into the hotel Brittney from the butler service was amazing. She helped to arrange a full weekend itinerary for us including meals and advice on how to get around. And also thanks to Gilmar the concierge we were able to get reservations at every restaurant we wanted, including Zuma which seemed impossible until he arranged a prime Friday night spot for us. Upon arriving at the hotel (be aware it is a bit far off from Miami Beach) we were taken back by the beautiful layout and art work of the lobby. The lobby does seem surprisingly small but I think its good because they used most of their footprint for a gorgeous outdoor area with pools and maze like hedges. Check in was very smooth, and were escorted up to our rooms by Brittney who showed us how to use the technologically advanced hotel features (elevators that only go to your floor, full automation of the room, etc). Now I cant forget to mention the view from the room (I think they are all very similar) it was spectacular, and the oversize balcony with the chaise and table set were a lot of fun to use. Everything in the room was top-notch from the comfortable bed, to the rain shower, to the last fixture. My only complaint was the TV inside the bathroom mirror refused to work (maintenance came by twice and nothing). We had dinner at J&G Grill the first night, and we were expecting something simple, but instead it was an amazing 3 course dinner. The staff were very helpful and friendly navigating the food and wine menu. We also had breakfast at Atlantico (the only place open for breakfast). The first time we ordered off the menu and were treated to very nice breakfast with a local flare. The second time I asked for something simple coffee and a breadbasket. The waitstaff were very nice in putting together a collection of breads, and my absolute favorite was the olive-oil loaf (which they referred to as a sourdough). Unfortunately I cannot speak much to the beach and pool as the weather was pretty cool while we were there so we didnt get it. But they both did look lovely, and there is a nice hard-packed jogging path along the water. The staff (especially Brittney) really helped make us feel pampered which included wonderful chocolates in the room every night (and not standard pillow mints, but delicious specialty items). Suffice to say we plan on checking in again very soon.

Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

We stayed here for 4 days last week over the long weekend. We found the property to be outstanding. The design sensibility was aesthically pleasing - high ceilings everywhere - stunning art and design pieces and comfortable above all else. The staff were all friendly and tried to be efficient.

This is where the hotel fell short - they have just been open a few weeks and it shows. There seems to be lots of generals and not many troops so no one knows who to listen to and all tell you they will find out why something went wrong vs. just fixing it. Our room was not cleaned our first day, and when we called down they said they would find out why - I could care less why it wasnt done - I just wanted the room cleaned.

Terrace/balcony off the room is awesome - and the room iteself is cool - the wireless control for drapes, lights and temp are great - but not perfect and if you are not digitally inclined they will be constantly assisting guests at all hours to close the blinds.

The restaurants were okay - room service was more efficient and less mistakes then in the actual venues.

I want to go back when they have fixed all the bugs and tweaked everything. The staff were responsive, tried to get things perfect and always were pleasant and happy! They are proud of this new starwood property and they should be! it is cool!

A few people we spoke to suggested a golf cart service over to Bal Harbour - but the walk is nice and quick on a sunny day - in the summer or rain they may have to think about providing a service for their guests if they keep promoting bal harbour across the street - most guests are staying there for the mall and the locale so they might as well offer it.

Pool decks were great - no problem with finding chairs or lounges - the beach club is well staffed - not pleased they charge $20 for an umbrella when the rooms are over $600 a night - but that is Miami! Good experience it could be Great!

Room Tip: dont think there is a bad room
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

The St. Regis Miami opened in January 2012. The property, the amenities and the service is first rate. Our suite faced the ocean with a stunning view to the north of Miami Beach. The living area and the bedroom both had spacious balconies. The food and in-house dining were excellent, and there's a sort of "butler" system to attend to guest's requirements. We spent the two plus days on the property, which has two swimming pools, a gym, a spa, a restaurant and a beachfront where you can relax, sunbath and swim. Across the street are the Bal Harbour shops. My only disappointment was the check-in (room was not ready at 6:30pm?) and the check-out (too long of a wait and no follow-up about transportation). I will attribute that to this being their start-up month and rate this excellent overall and worth the cost.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

The hotel itself is stunning, I have stayed in many luxury hotels and this ranks among the top. The rooms are large and every room has a 200 SF balcony with ocean view. Every balcony has two lounge chairs, table and chairs. Total first-class facility. The beach is fine, but the beach is better and wider further south on Collins near W, Setai, Ritz, etc. Food & beverage service still working out the kinks of recently opening. Room service and pool bar expect long wait times.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort? Share your experiences!