“Great Rooms in the Heart of Wilmington” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Wilmington
New York
“Great Rooms in the Heart of Wilmington”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2007

My club-level room in this wonderfully convenient hotel was one of the loveliest suites I've ever had. Newly decorated in contemporary shades of dark blue, tan and espresso brown both living and bed rooms were open, spacious, clean and bright. The lounge are was large and the complimentary breakfast was well turned out. I was cordially received by the front desk when I arrived; the underground garage was very convenient, safe and reasonably priced; the room service personnel were extremely pleasant and my order arrived quickly and complete! The food was even quite tasty! Over the years I've stayed in many different types of lodging in this area for pleasure. If you are doing mostly the Brandywine area this will not be a great location for you. But if you are there for the city - business or the museums and riverfront, for instance - then I highly recommend this great value.

• Liked — Fresh, clean, stylish, open and bright 2-room suite
  • Disliked — My pet peeve is when hotels make you pay for high-speed internet access. It is just plain greedy.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Pembroke, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2007

I was proposing to my girlfriend and chose Sheraton Suites as the place to stay for the night. I got a great deal on the Romance Package. It included parking, 4pm checkout, room service breakfast, and a free bottle of wine with cheese and crackers. I believe I paid $147 for this, total. In any case, I let them know when I booked it that I would be proposing to my girlfriend that night. About two days before the big night, I got a call from Amy at the hotel. I feared that there was a glitch in my plan but it was just the opposite. The hotel was upgrading my room to a higher floor on the corner with a great view, upgrading my wine/cheese/crackers to a bottle of champagne with chocolate covered strawberries, and providing rose petals and a bouquet of flowers. I noted that I was on a limited budget and they insisted that there was no extra charge! I really was in a state of shock that they would do so much extra to make this a special night. In the end, we had an immaculate room that was the epitome of comfort and full of the little extras. The staff even went out of their way to congratulate us as we left the next morning. I was truly amazed. Not only was the hotel amazing, but they went the extra mile and beyond to make this a wonderful memory. I highly, highly recommend this hotel to anyone and if it is a special evening don't be shy about letting them know. Oh, by the way, she did say "yes". =)

• Liked — Service, Staff, Size of Rooms, Ammenities, Location
  • Disliked — No complaints
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Edgewater, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2007

I booked this hotel and then just the day before checked TA reviews. I was a bit worried, specially with all the comments on suites not being clean.

To my surprise, the hotel staff was very cordial, very helpful. We had requested a crib for our eight month old son and they had it ready before our arrival. The crib sheets were clean, the rooms were nice and bright and it worked out well.

Stayed March 2007
Boston, MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2007

I am not one to fret over trivial items like the view, whether or not the desk clerk smiled, etc--especially when I travel for business as I did here. However, I expect much more from a brand like Sheraton.

The good: Rooms are large suites, comfortable (and fortunately clean) bed.

The bad: Filthy furniture, stained sofa and chairs, stains on what looked like a dingy 40 year old carpet, a greasy film on the desk.

Interent (for a fee, mind you) not working, the front desk gave me a toll free # as it was not their responsibility. I waited 15' on hold with the tech service before giving up.

I got in very late, having reserved several weeks ahead of time. According to the clerk, the hotel was full and I got the last room. The best was not saved for last. And, the hotel's chance to make a good impression on a frequent traveller was lost.

Staff seemed disorganized in the morning, many people waiting 10-15' to check out--I suspect, like me, many had places to be. And, on top of that, I was charged $416 on my bill for a soda (my room # was 416, only thing I could figure). The charge of course was reversed when I pointed it out, but goes to the issue of disorganization.

I won't be back to this hotel and will look for alternatives on my next stay in Wilmington.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
charlotte
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2006

I stayed at this hotel on 11/23 as stopover stay on my way to NY. This is such a quaint town! The hotel was fabulous. I paid $45 for the night using Starwood points and recieved a delicious hot breakfast the next morning. The room was very spacoius (club level) and appointed nicely. I was very impressed with the in room printer and the free internet access downstairs! Was only there to sleep so, not much more to say. I do want to also mention the bathroom with its granite (or faux) tops and the marble floors, wow, nice. Caswell-Massey bath amenities were the final touch. This hotel is in the heart of downtown and well suited for the business traveler. However, it is appointed so nicely it may as well be a Westin. It defintely would appeal to any traveler and I highly reccommend it.

• Liked — location and price
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Tips/Secrets — n/a
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Brookhaven, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2006

I have previously stayed at this hotel many times as well as other Sheratons. However, when I went to book my room last week for October 28th, my experience was really bad. I am a member of the hotel's Starwood Preferred Guest program. I went on the website to book my room and got a message that that part of the website was not working and to call their reservation hotline. Prior to calling, I checked on Orbitz, Travelocity and the others to compare prices. They had a room on Orbitz for $159 but I would rather book it through Starwood because I earn points for future stays. I called the reservation hotline and the woman I spoke to quoted me a price of $199. I told her I saw the same room on Orbitz for $159 and asked her to match that price since they have a guarantee stating that if it's on a website for less, they would match it and add 2,000 points to your SPG account. She refused to match it and at the end of the conversation I told her that I would not be using Sheraton in the future. Her reply was "that's alright, thanks for calling Sheraton". That's alright? What kind of customer service is that? I work in sales and would never tell one of my customers that it was alright to lose their business. I emailed the chain through their website and told them that I was apalled by the way I was treated and that I thought they should match the price. I got an email back with no apology and offering me 500 points in my account. I really needed the room so in the mean time, I did book my room through their website. I emailed the customer service rep back and told her I really wanted an apology and that at the very least, they should give me the 2,000 points based on the guarantee. I also informed her that I did book the room anyway because I didn't want her to think I was complaining just to get a free room or something. I got an email several days later from a different customer service rep giving my some BS reason that I was not eligible for the 2,000 points (even though it's THEIR guarantee, right there on their website) I enjoy most of my stays at the Sheraton chain, but they have a really bad way of conducting their business and need to train their customer service reps on how to treat their customers.

Will I stay at Sheratons in the future? maybe, they have great beds and showers and the employees AT most of their hotels are friendly. It's a shame that employees who REPRESENT the hotel, do such a horrible job. I guess that's easy for them to do since they do not interact with the customers face to face, only hiding behind a computer screen.

• Liked — the beds and the shower
  • Disliked — the employees of Sheraton and/or SPG program (not employees of hotel, they're fine)
  • Tips/Secrets — don't bother with the SPG program, they don't hold up their end of the deal, book w/Orbitz
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
vancouver, WA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2006

I stayed at the Sheraton Suites on business the last week of June 2006.
The rooms are nice, the hotel staff is rude and totally not service oriented. The fire alarm went off two nights in a row. The first night at 1am and the very next night at 3 am. The hotel staff said "this happens whenver the rain trips the alarm, so get used to it. Hated staying here, would never stay here again.

Stayed June 2006

Been to Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel? Share your experiences!