“Don't Expect Anything More Than Average” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Wilmington
Ontario, New York
“Don't Expect Anything More Than Average”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We stayed one night at the Sheraton. We didn't expect more than your middle of the road hotel, and that's what it was. Front Desk was friendly and staff was pleasant. We arrived early and they suggeted a nice restaurant to grab lunch at which was just a walk down the road. The room was okay The carpet was old and I felt a little uncomfortable walking on it in my bare feet. The bed was comfortable. There were a few little things that were in need of repair like the broken closet door handle. The shower head was very strong and felt more like a power washing. The biggest complaint we had was that the air conditioning/furnace unit made a terrible screaching sound in the middle of the night. I had to get up at 2am and again at 4am to adjust the controls for the air conditioner. The screeching sounded like a bad belt in a car. It came and went, but left us restless in the middle of the night.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
EJolikko, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I am glad that you found the staff “friendly and pleasant”. I can tell you that in November/December of 2012, all the guest rooms and guest hallways received new carpet, wallpaper, drapes and lights. The guest rooms also received new chairs and couches. However, I do apologize if you felt that they were old; unfortunately that is just the design of these new rugs in the guest rooms. In regards to your AC issue, I do hope that the staff was able to correct the noise problem. Again, my sincere apologies and thank you for sharing your experience with us so that we may improve upon our services.
Eric Jolikko

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I travel all the time for my job. I can't say I am an expert when it comes to hotels but I stay in all the major brands. I think those of us that like a little extra (upgraded room or suite) when possible but don't like to pay more or use "points" will find the Sheraton Suites in downtown Wilmington, Delaware a great experience. They have nothing but suites so everyone gets the VIP treatment. These are true suites by anyone's definition (not a partial wall you trip over) most comfortable bed I've slept in, wet bar, two TV's, Refer, Micro, large desk area, etc. The staff were great truly friendly and helpful (not scripted). I would give them even more stars if I could, they earned them!

Room Tip: Not to worry, they are all suites and everyone is alike!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
EJolikko, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Thank you for your response regarding your recent visit to the hotel. The staff works very hard to ensure that all guest's needs are met/exceeded during their stay with the hotel regardless if it is over-night or for a 2-3 week stay. I am glad to read that it appears that the staff has exceeded you expectations. I would agree that the bed is very comfortable and it is available on Sheraton.com to purchase for your home. Thank you again for your comments and the staff and I hope that you have an enjoyable summer!
decatur ga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

the hotel was nice and clean. front desk staff very accomodating.the bed was super
comfy. downtown wilmington seems to be a city with no soul.
there is really nothing to do in the area.if i had a car would definitely stay in
the brandywine valley. this appears to be more of a business hotel
than one for travelers.it was still a nice stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
EJolikko, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the hotel the staff and I appreciate them. The Sheraton Sweet Sleeper is available on the Sheraton.com web site, if you are interested please go there so you can have the same “comfy” sleep at home.
Thank you again and have enjoyable summer!
Wilmington, Delaware
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

We booked this hotel tempted by great deals on Expedia. However, after parking, breakfast and internet charges, we simply did not accrue the savings we expected. This could be a great hotel for business visits but certainly not for a family. We did not feel safe to explore the surrounding neighbourhood and were therefore reliant on the hotel restaurant for all meals.

The hotel need to fix one security feature - we were able to easily access guest floors without using our room key despite assurances by staff that guest floors have restricted access - they don't.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
EJolikko, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thank you for you feedback regarding your recent stay with the hotel. I completely understand your frustration regarding additional charges, all of these are posted on the web site, however I am sorry that you did not see them. I do recommend booking on Sheraton.com as there are numerous packages available that do include these items at a reduced price.
In regards to the neighborhood, I can tell you that I work with the WPD, The City of Wilmington, The Wilmington CVB and Downtown Visions to ensure that my guests are kept safe during their visit to Wilmington and this hotel.
Warm Regards
Orleans, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

This is a very tired hotel with a less than fully motivated staff...mostly I suspect from the lack of any close by competition. Starwood points are also NOT available if you book through a travel site but of course Starwood doesn't tell you that. The hotel needs a facelift to justify the rates it is getting. And Starwood points were unavailable despite the hotel being fairly empty so Starwood knows it has a captive audience for downtown Wilmington and can get away with it based on location alone. Roiom cleanliness at best average to sub par as is the whole property.

Room Tip: Street noise can wake you up so try to get a room away from the street if possible.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
EJolikko, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your stay at the Sheraton Suites Wilmington DE. Although I haven’t been able to talk with you directly regarding your stay experience, however I would like to apologize for the inconvenience that you encountered. Although it may not appear to be true, this hotel and its staff take great pride in delivering a high level service to our customers and will continue to do everything in our power to meet everyone's expectations. In November/December 2012, all the guest rooms and guest hallways received new carpet, wallpaper, drapes and lights. The guest rooms also received new chairs and couches. In 2013, the hotel will be start replacing all of the case goods and in 2013/2014 the bathrooms will be renovated. Again, my sincere apologies and thank you for sharing your experience with us so that we may improve upon our services.
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We were a little concerned due to some of the reviews, but we were pleasantly surprised. The room obviously wasn't fresh off an overhaul, but it was nice enough and very clean. Everything worked, the bed was very comfortable, and we took the hint and left the thermostat at 60...despite the extreme heat outside, our room stayed comfortable at about 70.

Our only complaints were no ice machine on our floor (and no indication of where one might be) and, of course, the tight parking garage. But we were always able to find a spot between other cars and not a post. It was a little stressful, and I certainly wouldn't want to try that in a large car!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
EJolikko, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thank you for the feedback, we appreciate it. The guest rooms were newly renovated in Nov/Dec 2012 (replacing carpet, lighting, wallpaper, drapes couch, chair and ottoman. In addition, the hotel will be upgrading the guest rooms as both the guest room case goods and guest room bathrooms will be replaced/renovated in 2013 & 2014. Thank you again for your comments and have an enjoyable summer!. Eric Jolikko. General Manager.
Atlanta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I reserved two rooms for July 19th in Wilmington, DE. Traveling with my 91 year old mother and another family member for my uncle's funeral. NO air-conditioning with outdoor temperatures of 95 degrees. It was well over 80 degrees in our room. They sent up their "engineer" who told me he was not an engineer, but a "handyman". He had NO idea how to fix it. NO air conditioning in lobby or hallways. We did not sleep, were soaked in sweat and had a miserable experience. My mother is fragile and I was quite worried about dehydration and possible stroke. This hotel compromised my mother and hotel only comped us for one room. Will NEVER stay at a Sheraton again. Staff told me that corporate is "cheap" and will not update hotel beyond cosmetics. Staff was very stressed by their working conditions. Had fans in the lobby so staff could work. The hotel is "tired" and needs much more than cosmetic updates. I must say that the front desk manager was lovely and tried her best. I have written to Sheraton a summary of our experience, but will be surprised if they respond.

Room Tip: If you absolutely must stay at this hotel, ask about heating and air and be sure to request an updat...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
EJolikko, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you so much for bringing your concerns to our attention regarding your stay. Although I haven’t been able to talk with you directly, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience that you encountered.
The hotel has been diligently working on the two roof top units that supply the air conditioning to the guest hallways. While the hotel has done multiple repairs on them in the last two weeks to hopefully get them back up and running at 100%, ultimately the hotel is going to have to replace both of these units. The hotel is in the process of bidding these units out so we can move forward as fast as possible to give the best guest experience possible. I was happy to hear that the front office manager adjusted off your room and tax for your stay due to the inconvenience.
In addition, I am uncertain why any staff member would say that corporate is “cheap”, but let me assure you that is the furthest from the truth. The company has spent millions of dollars in both front of the house and back of the house items over the last 2 years that I have been General Manager at this hotel and they will continue to spend the money needed to make this hotel better.
Lastly, while the hotel cannot control what happens outside of the hotel, I can tell you that the Wilmington Police were notified as soon as a noise complaint came in to assist with eliminating the issue.
If you would like to talk to me directly, please call 302.576.8000.
Eric Jolikko

Been to Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel? Share your experiences!