“Horrible service at Basil Restaurant” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Wilmington
“Horrible service at Basil Restaurant”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011 via mobile

Took over 90 minutes to get our dinner. I spend at least 50% of my time on business travel, and this is the worst service I have ever received. The staff was indignant when we dared to complain. Didn't stay at the hotel, but I never will based on this experience. They need Gordon Ramsay to rescue this failure.

• Stayed September 2011
EJolikko, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, September 8, 2011
Thank you for your comments regarding the Basil Restaurant. The restaurant management staff is making the necessary staffing adjustments to ensure that all cliental have an enjoyable experience. We truly do appreciate guest feedback both good and bad as it allows us to reflect on our performance and improve our service on many levels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Burlington, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

Thank you to the staff at the Sheraton Suites - they went the extra mile to make sure a family from our non-profit organization was comfortable and pampered."

Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
EJolikko, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2011
Thank you! It was our pleasure
Buffalo, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

Large rooms with a separate living room including couch, desk, TV, coffee table, and mini fridge. The room itself was good, however the bathroom was in serious need of an update. The resturant downstairs was inconsistant - I had an excellent dinner there, but an incredibily overcooked hardboiled egg the next morning (literally like rubber).

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
I wanted to thank you personally for your feedback regarding your visit at the Sheraton Suites Wilmington DE. We truly do appreciate guest feedback both good and bad as it allows us to reflect on our performance and improve our service on many levels. You will be happy to know that we are aggressively working to update the bathrooms. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you here again.
High Point, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

Hotel needs an upgrade if it wants to be the 4 star it claims to be. Not dirty, just well worn. Hotel staff was helpful and friendly, but I was surprised to see the desk clerk wearing a t shirt. I was also baffled by the fact they had the nicest stainless steel ice bucket I've seen in a hotel but the give you plastic cups to drink from. Want ice? Well, ice machines are only on certain floors and the first one I went to it was broken. Also, they give you "Starbucks Coffee" (Ooooo) in the room, about 3 cups worth, and the paper cups to match so you can impress your friends! But it doesn't end there, feel like coffee with your breakfast at the restaurant? Well, get ready to dish out $4 bucks! That's right, 4 bucks for a normal cup of coffee in the hotel restaurant. Why? Because its Starbucks coffee of course! They will even put it in the fashionable cup for you if its to go. I didn't notice the price until after we ordered it, and totally expecting to pay 8 bucks for the cups of joe the waitress only charged us for one. I think she was embarrassed to charge us near $18 for 2 cups of coffee and 2 bagels. The price gauging doesn't end there. We paid $4 for 2 cans of coke from the hotel store and later realized the machine on our floor sells 16 bottles for $2. Last but not least, there is a quart sized bottle of Poland Spring water in the room with a big welcoming tag that beckons you with the words, "Thirsty?. In the finest type imaginable near the bottom the card it reads, $5.00. Are you kidding me? $5.00 for water? It appears that hotels have gone the way of the airlines. Things that were once complimentary have now become "A La Carte" which must be French for "nickel and dime".

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
EJolikko, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2011
Thank you so much for bringing your concerns to our attention regarding your stay at the Sheraton Suites Wilmington DE. Unfortunately, I did not an opportunity to speak with you in person, but I would like to apologize for the inconveniences and lack of service that you encountered during your recent stay.

Although it may not appear to be true, this hotel and its staff take great pride in delivering a high level service to our customers and will continue to do everything in our power to meet everyone’s expectations. Thank you for making it possible for us to learn of our challenges so that we can turn them into successes.
Madison, Mississippi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

This property was filthy. We arrived at 11 pm after a 14 hour drive. No one was at the valet stand. The lobby was full of loud intoxicated people. This was not a bar area, simply a "hang out" for a rather obnoxious looking crowd. There were black men coming in and out of hotel with no shirts on and baggy pants hanging low. The carpet in the hallways were torn and raveled. When we finally reached our room, we opened the door to find that we had been given a key to a room that was already occupied. Those guest were horrified....as were we!!! We returned to desk to ask for our money back due to the fact that we did not feel safe here. The clerk agreed to refund our money. How could she refuse after she had programmed our key to an occupied room at 11:30 at night. Horrible experience!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
EJolikko, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, September 1, 2011
Thank you so much for your comments and observations. Interestingly we were familiar with what happened with the group that was in the lobby and their group contact was called and the situation was rectified. The hallway carpets are in the process of being replaced and/or repaired but in the mean time, they are all being professionally cleaned to eliminate any staining that may be on them. Lastly, I would agree with you, that it is horrible to be given a key to an already occupied room, this is truly unacceptable and was addressed with the employee. My sincere apologies for the unfortunate events of that evening and thanks for sharing your experience with us so that we may improve upon our services.
Springfield, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

I stay here about 2-4 times a year for work. I prefer booking at this property vs. a few other choices largely because I love the large rooms. Most of my trips are for longer stays (over 1-2 weeks) so I really like having the separate parlor area and the refrigerator/microwave, etc.

The positives: Again, best room out of the 3 hotels I have stayed in the Downtown Wilmington area. Well appointed, comfortable. I have noticed sometimes I have an extra blanket and pillow in the closest and other times not...I like having it because I prefer to watch TV/log on to internet, etc from the couch before going to the "bedroom". Makes me feel like two different areas. At home, I always have a blanket over me so that makes me feel 'at home". I'm sure if I called downstairs, they would bring one up, but I just don't want to deal with the front desk.

The lounge is good. Debbie has been there forever and I love that she always remembers me and what I drink. As a female, it can be daunting sometimes to sit by yourself at the bar. Debbie is always good about ensuring I'm comfortable and happy and no one bugs me. There is a guy also that's been there a few years, I forgot his name, but very good service too. As far as hotel lounges go, incredible service there! Food is good too and if you want to eat somewhere else, all the restaurant/lounge employees have given me great recommendations.

I've never used the pool or hot tub. I have used the fitness center a few times. It's OK. Nothing bad nothing great either.

Customer Appreciation Night--There is one night a week they have a reception with free drinks (usually Le Terrible wine and bottle beer choices) with some appetizers. It's nice. Even if it is cheap wine--it's "free"! I do appreciate they do this as I think it helps.

Opportunities: The front desk can be pleasant, but never have I had a check in experience where I thought "wow, that was awesome"--never and over the course of 10 years I feel like I'm there a lot. I also don't like it that A. They always say "is this your first time here". NO it's not...and YOU checked me in the last 2 times I was here?. B. About 50/50 with them even giving me the stupid key card that has my status. Gold or not, I have never gotten a free continental breakfast or the Club floor...or access to the lounge (although I think that is reserved for Platinum if you're not upgraded.) It's amazing how I typically get upgraded in every other chain or other Starwood properties and it is an anomoly to not be upgraded, except here. I chalk it up to they must have a lot of frequent Wilmington business travelers so many people with more status than me. I DO typically always get a corner room, which is a preferable location.

The housekeeping is also extremely inconsistent. I have long hair and typically do not travel with shampoo and conditioner. How frustrating it is to get in the shower in the morning and be out of either. They must ration it because this is always an issue. They give one bottle like every 3 days and I need it every 2 days. Again, rarely have I called downstairs to complain so haven't really given the opportunity to correct it. Generally after that day's housekeeping I have fresh again. This holds true with the coffee as well. Sometimes no coffee refill. (and the front desk DOES act like you're trying to steal coffee when you go downstairs and ask for some). Sometimes no cups. However, it is always clean. I don't feel like there is ever a time I'm in a dirty room.

The area can be a little seedy. I've never had a problem per se, but I don't think I would walk on neighboring streets at night alone. I have walked across the street to the Ale House and been fine. I've also walked to Trolley square (during day light) where there are a lot of pubs/restaurants/some nightlife. I wouldn't walk back at night alone though. This is the same for every hotel in downtown area. If you smoke and go out front through the door by the lounge or by the parking drive through, it is normal for someone to stop and ask for a cigarette. There ARE ashtrays by the doors in the parking garage, but then you feel like the smoke is affecting everyone parking, but much safer at night for a girl. I've never been scared in the parking garage. Oh...and on the parking garage. Absolutely accurate with the crazy small spots. I've seen it at other underground garages as well. If you rent a car at the airport and they "upgrade" you to a SUV or Large vehicle, go ask them to downgrade you back to an intermediate. I'm a terrible parker though and it scares me every morning backing out and getting in every night. I know people sit and laugh at me as I take 30 back and forths to get in or out....and then have to crawl through a teeny tiny spot between me and the next car. and yes, I have received door dings there.

Overall, for a Sheraton--very inconsistent in most areas except the lounge which is excellent. (wish they'd bring back my trivia machine). However, rooms are great. Front desk is OK. And don't expect any upgrades, etc. For downtown Wilmington, I will continue to stay here but would appreciate some type of recognition when checking in (or lack of, just don't ask if I've been there before).

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Norfolk, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

I booked double beds and upon arrival was told they were sold out, but was told " there's a sofa bed available", not what I expected or wanted. No apologize for inconvenice, just a lame excuse from manager of not being able to guarantee double beds. At the end of stay, the parking garage elevator was broken with no clear direction on how to get to parking area. Customer service was below average, borderlined on poor.

My family will not be staying there again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Been to Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel? Share your experiences!