“It's what's inside that counts!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Brandywine Valley Inn

You added BEST WESTERN Brandywine Valley Inn to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Brandywine Valley Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1807 Concord Pike (Route 202), Wilmington, DE 19803-2901   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay 2X get $50 gift card
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Wilmington
Syracuse, New York
“It's what's inside that counts!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

At first glance, the hotel is a typical 2-story motor lodge. Inside, however, it was most impressive. The staff was amazing -- very "homey" and friendly -- as though you were staying with your favorite aunt or grandma. Branded Manhattan Bagels coffee was a very nice touch -- a big step up from the institutional coffee found in most midscale hotel lobbies. Breakfast included biscuit sandwiches, waffles, yogurt, fresh and canned fruit, cereal, and oatmeal -- again a step above the usual, in my opinion. Although rooms are exterior-corridor, those in the business class section are inside a courtyard that is key-accessed, adding a level of security. The rooms were basic, but very clean and comfortable. DVD players with a DVD library were another thoughtful touch (there's also a Redbox DVD machine right next door). Plenty of good stores and restaurants within walking distance.

Room Tip: If you're concerned about the security of exterior-corridor rooms, choose a courtyard room, as t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
MaryT687, Manager at BEST WESTERN Brandywine Valley Inn, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear ROCchef ,

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 302-543-6155.

Mary J. Taylor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Office
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I was attending a trade show in the area and the organization had a reduced convention rate for the event. I have stayed at other Best Western Plus properties which were very well maintained and updated. The Brandywine Valley Inn was neither. The Inn is a drive up Motel that looks like the drive up Motel we stayed in when we were on the family vacation when we were kids. Not much has changed in the forty or so years. The room were small and cramped. The beds were not great. The bathroom was very small and the shower head had something in it so only the right side of the shower head worked. Travelers beware! I would not recommend this Motel to anyone.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Whytegroup,

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we have used the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 302-543-6155.

Mary J. Taylor
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

The location is close to restaurants and my family's home. So I will probably stay there again but the size of the room was small. I have stayed in a few different hotels and the rooms with two beds were larger including the beds.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Redway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I enjoyed my stay at this Best Western. The most important feature to me for any stay is a hot tub. This hot tub was nice and hot. The jets worked and it was clean. So I was happy. I had several special needs -- printing, faxing, and checking out the night before due to a very early departure for the airport. Hotel staff, from maids, groundskeepers, and reception were friendly and helpful. My room was next to a staff area -- so there were some interesting noises during the day... dryers running and a little chatter. This was fine because at night it was very quiet -- just the way I like it. The room decor was attractive and harmonious. I would stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Md USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Bought a package for 2 nights and 3 days with tickets for Longwood Gardens, Hagley Museum and Winthertur included. At time of booking I requested 2 double beds. The person doing the reservation assured me this would be done. I explained to the reservation person that we were 2 friends traveling and we really needed to have 2 double beds. She expressed understanding of the situation. Arrived at the hotel and was told that what we have is a queen size bed. I do not even quite understand why we have this bed except that the checkin person says 2 double beds was not part of the package. Why did they not say that when we booked? I was very disappointed. We were given a rollaway but it was not the same. It just used up more space that was already limited. Room and bathroom was very small but clean and smelled fresh. Staff was very pleasant and helpful. That was a big plus. Staff attitude was excellent and the only reason I would return to this hotel is because of the staff. A bitter taste was left in my mouth with the bed situation.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Wilmington, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

It's a small & nice Hotel, with Fitness Center, swimming pool end jacuzzy (only for summer). In the rooms you have high speed wifi connections, small fridge and microwave. The staff was very nice and helpful. They have a shuttle service which will help me a lot.

Room Tip: The inner rooms have lees highway traffic noise
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
West Grove, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We booked a room at this hotel at the last minute when we lost power (and water) to our house in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. We received a decent AAA rate (100/night plus a $25 pet fee). The room was cramped but comfortable with two double beds. Further inspection did notice a few things that one wouldn't expect to find in a Best Western "Plus" facility: a very small bathroom with signs of past water damage near the floorboards; wallpaper bubbling from the wall at the seams, and spiders.

The most disappointing thing about this hotel is that it is laid out in the style of a motor inn with entrances on the exterior (I suspect it used to be a HoJo's because there is a former HoJo's restaurant next door, now the Hollywood Grill). This is fine if you have one of the rooms facing inwards towards the pool area, but we were relegated to the outside of the hotel facing the parking lot and very close to Route 202. Consequently, noise from the parking lot and 202 were not insignificant. It wasn't enough to keep me awake at night, but it was more than I would have expected. There was also a huge puddle of water in the parking lot right outside our door from all the rainfall - I guess they were having drainage problems.

I do give the staff kudos for finding us a room that we could take occupancy of many hours before the official check-in time so we could all warm up and shower. That was much appreciated.

The hotel does offer a free continental breakfast catered by Manhattan Bagels with plenty of food and drinks.

In summary, this hotel is an interesting hybrid. It bills itself as a hotel for business travelers and those wishing to see the sights of the Brandywine Valley like Longwood Gardens and Winterthur, but in places it seems like a $45/night motor inn a trucker might stay in. Apparently the hotel does offer more luxurious rooms, but that was not what we were looking for that night - just a warm place with running water to sleep.

Room Tip: Try to stay away from the parking lot area
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN Brandywine Valley Inn? Share your experiences!