“Clean, working, but stale” 3 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Brandywine Valley Inn

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Brandywine Valley Inn to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Brandywine Valley Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1807 Concord Pike (Route 202), Wilmington, DE 19803-2901   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Low Rate, Guaranteed
Ranked #9 of 12 hotels in Wilmington
White Plains, New York
“Clean, working, but stale”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Like Capistrano sparrows, we return annually to places we like. Actually, we find the Best Western Plus Brandywine Valley Inn so convenient, we sometimes return two and three times in a year.

Located just off I95 in the outskirts of Wilmington, DE, it's convenient to Brandywine Valley cultural attractions (think Hagley, Nemours, Winterthur, Longwood Gardens) and to the art museums in Philadelphia, Wilmington, Chadds Ford, and Baltimore. And for us, it's a convenient stop-over for friends at the Delaware beaches, in Maryland, and northern Virginia.

It's often booked weeks and months in advance -- corporate business travelers for Astra-Zeneca, Ashland, and Dupont, and railroad, utility and construction crews find it handy, too -- so don't wait until the last minute to make reservations.

We think the Inn and the no longer associated diner next door used to be a Howard Johnson property, which accounts for the 1950's style motel construction underlying the Best Western Brandywine. The upshot? First floor rooms can be noisy, so book second floor when you can. We particularly like the suites (standard twin bed room with attached "living room" with fold-out couch, bathroom, and desk) when available.

The Best Western Brandywine has been renovated twice since we began staying there, the last time about five years. It's probably not ready for a major renovation: today it's clean, functional, but tired. It needs fresh carpet, paint, ding and dent repairs, and bathroom spruce-up. In short, it's clean, working, but stale.

Unfortunately, the staff is stale, too. No one's nasty or difficult, but from front desk to housekeeping, the staff is just going through the motions. Time for a new manager. And a fresh cup of coffee.

Room Tip: Rooms in the south wing, second floor are quietest.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

110 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Seoul, South Korea
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

I was here for a day in 2nd of July... checked in around 1 am... it was smooth & quick... the gentleman at the front desk was welcoming...
I really liked the way the rooms are around the swimming pool... felt like I am in a vacation spot somewhere... anyways checked into the room... it was neat & specious... the toilet was very small... the only problem... the AC in the room was very noisy...
Next morning the breakfast was ok... you know the free breakfasts in US hotels are not always that good anyways... they had few things to munch...
Over all the stay was ok... might come back again...

Room Tip: I think the rooms around the pool are better ones!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Hit by the Baltimore blackout and needing a hotel, this was the closest room available. Staff was very helpful and kind- reassigned another reservation so we could have a room with WiFi so my husband could work those 3 days. Room was very clean, small bathroom with toilet/bathtub squeezed into a very tiny space. Adequate free breakfast, loved the free chilled water bottles. Lots of shopping nearby. Not luxury but not bad either.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

I'm not sure if they've recently renovated but our room was exactly what you'd expect in a no frills hotel like a best western. The room was fairly modern, and clean and comfortable. Beds had new sheets, bathroom was small but clean when we arrived and cleaned well everyday we were there. Our phone didn't work and the maintenance guy came within 5 minutes and replaced it.

The free breakfast was your standard hotel fare. Bagels, juice, coffee, cereal, waffles, yoghurt. There were free cookies put out in the lobby at 6pm each night! And coffee, tea and hot Chocolate were available between 6 and 9pm.

Our only two negative comments are that the walls were very thin (as they often are in hotels sadly) and our neighbors were partying still at 2am one night, and when ppl smoked in the courtyard below our second floor room the smoke would rise and pool under the eaves outside our door and the smell got into the room a bit (it was non smoking room).

We stayed 3 nights while touring the many attractions of the BRANDYWINE region. Definitely recommend this hotel for families or couples on a budget. It was good value for money.

• Stayed June 2012
Long Island, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

I stayed at this hotel because it was there..I had not planned ahead. The staff was friendly and helpful and treated us to their "Winterthur" rooms at an attractive rate. Staying in these rooms made the experience just a little bit better than the average Best Western Experience.
The rooms were decorated in high style, tho' a bit small. That didn't matter however, as I had the room to myself, and enjoyed the "fancy" experience. Another plus, for the "lost" traveler is that the Hollywood Grill is right next door..A large diner w/ the usual diner food but cheerful decorations..not your average cookie-cutter "casual dinning' American experience. The free breakfast was pretty awful..but the price was right..

Room Tip: Avoid rooms overlooking pool
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Bushkill, Pennsylvania, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

We had the worst stay ever in this hotel. First, they advertise they are a pet friendly hotel online, but give no direction on their website that you HAVE to call the front desk about your pet. We checked in on Sunday (with our small westie), I was in and out of the room with her for potty breaks multiple times, so I wasn't trying to hide the fact that I had a dog. They advertised they were pet friendly, so I assumed that they were! I left on Wednesday for lunch with my 9 month old son, came back to find that they LOCKED me out of my room with my belongings and dog still in the room because I had a pet. First of all, never in my life was I treated so poorly, almost as if I was a criminal. Second, they advertise that they were PET-FRIENDLY. The manager Nikki told me I had to move rooms because I never told them I had a pet....well...she never asked either. So I had to pack up my entire room at 4pm on Wed with my 9 month old son when we were checking out the very next morning. REALLY???? The dog was already in the room for several nights, and if their cleaning staff was doing their job, then it shouldn't matter what room we were in. Nikki then moved us to room 143, which smelt like smoke, so I called her and told her I wanted another room becasue of the smoke smell and I had a small child. She told me I was being dramatic!! No, not dramatic, just really pissed off that I had to pack up with my baby while my husband was at work (we are relocated which is why we were there) by myself when we were leaving in less than 24 hours. Dramatic would be that they locked me out of the room! And what was the point in all of that. Nikki then moved us to an end unit that was filthy off of the main road, which we heard traffic all night long and got no sleep. I truly hope that she is fired!!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
NE Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

We stayed here when attending a family event. The room was very small but had everything you need; however, I had to put a towel down on the floor of the shower because it was so filthy. I requested that it be cleaned but I don't think this was ever done. The maids need lessons in how to clean rooms! The place needs an overhaul desperately. A maid walked in on my husband and I after only knocking once carrying only one towel - a bit suspicious I think. Other family members staying at the same facility also had similar complains regarding the cleanliness and one had blood on the bedspread! I hope no one stays here - maybe they'll do something.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Brandywine Valley Inn? Share your experiences!