“When the going gets tough...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Brandywine Valley Inn

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Brandywine Valley Inn to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Brandywine Valley Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1807 Concord Pike (Route 202), Wilmington, DE 19803-2901   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn a $50 Gift Card
Ranked #9 of 12 hotels in Wilmington
Baltimore, Maryland
“When the going gets tough...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Hit by the Baltimore blackout and needing a hotel, this was the closest room available. Staff was very helpful and kind- reassigned another reservation so we could have a room with WiFi so my husband could work those 3 days. Room was very clean, small bathroom with toilet/bathtub squeezed into a very tiny space. Adequate free breakfast, loved the free chilled water bottles. Lots of shopping nearby. Not luxury but not bad either.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

91 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

I'm not sure if they've recently renovated but our room was exactly what you'd expect in a no frills hotel like a best western. The room was fairly modern, and clean and comfortable. Beds had new sheets, bathroom was small but clean when we arrived and cleaned well everyday we were there. Our phone didn't work and the maintenance guy came within 5 minutes and replaced it.

The free breakfast was your standard hotel fare. Bagels, juice, coffee, cereal, waffles, yoghurt. There were free cookies put out in the lobby at 6pm each night! And coffee, tea and hot Chocolate were available between 6 and 9pm.

Our only two negative comments are that the walls were very thin (as they often are in hotels sadly) and our neighbors were partying still at 2am one night, and when ppl smoked in the courtyard below our second floor room the smoke would rise and pool under the eaves outside our door and the smell got into the room a bit (it was non smoking room).

We stayed 3 nights while touring the many attractions of the BRANDYWINE region. Definitely recommend this hotel for families or couples on a budget. It was good value for money.

• Stayed June 2012
Long Island, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

I stayed at this hotel because it was there..I had not planned ahead. The staff was friendly and helpful and treated us to their "Winterthur" rooms at an attractive rate. Staying in these rooms made the experience just a little bit better than the average Best Western Experience.
The rooms were decorated in high style, tho' a bit small. That didn't matter however, as I had the room to myself, and enjoyed the "fancy" experience. Another plus, for the "lost" traveler is that the Hollywood Grill is right next door..A large diner w/ the usual diner food but cheerful decorations..not your average cookie-cutter "casual dinning' American experience. The free breakfast was pretty awful..but the price was right..

Room Tip: Avoid rooms overlooking pool
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Bushkill, Pennsylvania, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

We had the worst stay ever in this hotel. First, they advertise they are a pet friendly hotel online, but give no direction on their website that you HAVE to call the front desk about your pet. We checked in on Sunday (with our small westie), I was in and out of the room with her for potty breaks multiple times, so I wasn't trying to hide the fact that I had a dog. They advertised they were pet friendly, so I assumed that they were! I left on Wednesday for lunch with my 9 month old son, came back to find that they LOCKED me out of my room with my belongings and dog still in the room because I had a pet. First of all, never in my life was I treated so poorly, almost as if I was a criminal. Second, they advertise that they were PET-FRIENDLY. The manager Nikki told me I had to move rooms because I never told them I had a pet....well...she never asked either. So I had to pack up my entire room at 4pm on Wed with my 9 month old son when we were checking out the very next morning. REALLY???? The dog was already in the room for several nights, and if their cleaning staff was doing their job, then it shouldn't matter what room we were in. Nikki then moved us to room 143, which smelt like smoke, so I called her and told her I wanted another room becasue of the smoke smell and I had a small child. She told me I was being dramatic!! No, not dramatic, just really pissed off that I had to pack up with my baby while my husband was at work (we are relocated which is why we were there) by myself when we were leaving in less than 24 hours. Dramatic would be that they locked me out of the room! And what was the point in all of that. Nikki then moved us to an end unit that was filthy off of the main road, which we heard traffic all night long and got no sleep. I truly hope that she is fired!!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
NE Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

We stayed here when attending a family event. The room was very small but had everything you need; however, I had to put a towel down on the floor of the shower because it was so filthy. I requested that it be cleaned but I don't think this was ever done. The maids need lessons in how to clean rooms! The place needs an overhaul desperately. A maid walked in on my husband and I after only knocking once carrying only one towel - a bit suspicious I think. Other family members staying at the same facility also had similar complains regarding the cleanliness and one had blood on the bedspread! I hope no one stays here - maybe they'll do something.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Richmond VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

We made a reservation online at 3:00 on our way to Wilmington from Vermont. We arrived tired at 6:00 to check in.  The clerk, Nicki, registered us and then told us that because of an area-wide sewer project, we could not use any water after 9:00 that evening. Why then were we were allowed to make a reservation, and why did she not contact us before we arrived so that we could make other arrangements?Although our telephone and email address were on the reservation, it wasn't her job to look, I guess. She grudgingly offered to call other hotels in the area, but since we had driven 8.5 hours and had a 7:30 dinner reservation, we declined. The bellman, who was standing at the desk, told us that the hotel had had a month's notice and that it was only the wing we were booked into that was affected. The clerk denied this. We asked for a concession on the price; she refused.  We asked her to call the manager; she refused. We went to our room frustrated and angry and changed for dinner. Before we left  I filled an ice bucket with water to wash my face, and water bottles to rinse my mouth after brushing my teeth. We got back from dinner around 9:30 to find a message that the clerk had called the manager, who "confirmed"  that the hotel had not had "specific" notice, but that we would not be charged for our room. We performed our minimal ablutions with the water we had saved, and went to bed. At 10:15 we were wakened by loud banging on the door by the contractor performing the work, shouting "Don't use the water!" Moments later the clerk called to tell us it was only our wing (the bellman was right) and offered to move us. Since it was 1ate and we were in bed, we declined. The next morning I spoke with several other customers, who were similarly inconvenienced and angry, but since they had not been as insistent as we were, were not offered a comp.
When I returned home, I called the contractor whose name was on the flyer the clerk gave us that detailed the prohibition on water use. He said the hotel had plenty of notice, and that someone had nevertheless used the water that night, which cost him thousands of dollars because he could not do the work the county had contracted  for. I called Best Western corporate to let them know that one of their hotels had knowingly booked customers into rooms with essentially no plumbing. Their response, which I had to call to find out, was that the manager's version of events was different from mine and they "don't take sides."   The manager,  Mary Taylor, had lied in several of her responses, dissembled in others, and was belligerent and indifferent in all.  Best Western simply closed the call. Best Western does not acknowledge responsibility for hotels with its name on them, and operators have carte blanche to behave as Ms. Taylor did when faced with the consequences of her own mismanagement of and failure to plan for an event she had been told to expect. Quality hotels do NOT book guests into rooms with no plumbing. Sad punchline: the bellman, the only hotel employee who told the truth and was concerned about customer service, was fired the next morning "for speaking about things of which he had no knowledge."

Note: This was our third stay in this hotel since May, since my mother is in assisted living nearby. Our previous experiences had been mediocre at best: they put fancy sheets on the beds, and fancy furniture in three or four rooms, but it's still an old motel with dated bathroom fixtures, noisy air conditioners, and thin walls. In a recently famous phrase, you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Stamford, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

Simply stated...the rooms are filthy. We booked for Memorial Day weekend requesting rooms next to one another. Upon check-in we were advised it was not possible to be have two rooms next to one another. I explained I specifically requested rooms adjoining, the manager, Mary, stated she had two rooms next to one another, but would be an upgrade. The rooms were next to one another under a stairwell that smelled like a sewer. The rooms were dark, but decided better than nothing. We dropped our bags and went out for the day returning about 6 PM. I went in to use the bathroom and found pubic hair all over the floor. I then went into the adjacent room to find another dirty bathroom. I immediately went to the front desk to complain and was told the person who does the cleaning was out for dinner and would be back soon. We sat out by the murky pool and hot tub for two hours while we waited for Tom to return from his dinner "hour." Once Tom inspects the room he states he didn't think it was so bad. Is there an acceptable amount of body hair on a bathroom floor? Just out of curiosity we pulled back the sheets on the bed to find a dirty and torn mattress with a pad to match. There were black flakes of something caught in the creases. Mary the Manager later explained that everything is sprayed and if there were bugs, they were dead. Don't they own a vacuum cleaner? We also noticed our feet were black from walking on the carpets. Is there no end to this? At 9 PM we decided to check-out and go to another hotel. The girl at the front desk said she was not authorized to refund our money, but documented our complaints. About a week later we received an apology letter from the manager, Mary, stating she was sorry and would offer us a discount for a future stay. No thanks!!! We disputed our credit card charge and spoke to Mary on the phone who said she had done us a favor by giving us the Executive Suite. Really? We then spoke to BW Corporate Office and they were unable to do anything since we had disputed the charge with the credit card company, but they said they documented the complaint. In the past, BW has always been a reliable place to stay, but this place should be condemned. I only have one work....YUCK!!!!

Room Tip: Always check with Trip Advisor
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Brandywine Valley Inn? Share your experiences!