“The patio and atmosphere are what really make this place.” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Newark, Delaware
“The patio and atmosphere are what really make this place.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

My wife surprised me with dinner at The Blue Parrot for my birthday. We like to sit outside whenever we can, so we went right for the porch. The New Orleans scene painted on the wall outside was great. It really added a nice touch. We were just recently in N.O.'s and thought it felt very authentic.

Now for the food and prices. I thought the prices were average for city dining. Nothing outrageous. My wife and I aren't hard to please and pretty much liked most of what we tried. On Tuesday night they have a special, $10.95 for AYCE that includes gumbo, Etouffee, jambalaya, and red beans and rice.

I had the gumbo to start. I'm no professional food critic, but I thought it was the worst gumbo I'd ever eaten anywhere. I lived in Louisiana long enough to know good gumbo. Thankfully our server took it away and suggested I try the jambalaya and red beans and rice. Good call on her part. Those two dishes were fine, and went together very nicely. The portions were more than adequate. My wife had a burger and frie that aside from being a little over done, was better than your average burger. Great flavor, and huge. She couldn't finish it all. The fries were really exceptional. Better than the fries on the boardwalk in OC MD.

We ordered the home made potato chip appetizer to start with. It's advertised with a chipotle dipping sauce that I didn't think seemed like a good pairing. I was wrong. We're potato chip junkies and regularly go to several places that make their own chips, and these were by far the best. The dip was a surprise, as it was actually very good with potato chips.

I was going to say that the drink prices were a bit high, but then again, we very rarely dine in Wilmington. I had forgotten that the drinks are typically a few dollars more in the city. Don't get me wrong, they weren't on par with Bourbon Street inflated prices. I finished off the evening with several dirty martini's. Not the way I usually make them, but I'm no bartender either. Maybe a touch less olive juice and even a bit less vermouth would have been better, but I'm not complaining. I thought they were good enough to order two of them.

They do have a happy hour, but we got there right when it ended. We'll try to catch it the next time we go. We got there right before sunset and it was nice how the city settled down a bit as we were eating. It even changed the atmosphere. It kind of made the mural on the wall come alive a bit more after dark. A few questionable characters on the street when we were leaving, no big deal, just be aware.

I wouldn't say the place is spectacular, but I will give it an average plus, with a great patio, and friendly service.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Wilmington, DE
“The best Cajun in Newcastle County (Wilmington)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

The best Cajun in Newcastle County (Wilmington); that is how we think of the Blue Parrot Bar & Grille. We were not disappointed on this return visit.

The Homemade Chips and the Chicken & Andouille Quesadilla were great shared appetizers. Entrées ranged from Chicken and Shrimp Creole to Bayou Gumbo to Red Beans & Rice to Tuna Tacos and beyond, a very diverse and tasteful selection. Between the appetizers and the entrées, we were too full to even share the Bread Pudding & Whiskey Sauce, a desert that we have never failed to dnjoy in the past.

Service was good; the atmosphere was "New Orleans". All just as expected.

• Visited February 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Newark
“Be warned!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

Thank God the Blue Parrot is not the only place to get a muffaletta! A recent lunch at this establishment proved to be so bad it was laughable, and that was thanks to the owner, a businessman with not the remotest sense of good customer service. Be aware:

- Mr. Diamond offers a lunch special which includes one free beverage. Ask for another and you will be charged (but not informed of that). When questioned, Mr. Diamond bristles visibly and offers the weak rationale that if you buy two drinks at McDonald's, you pay for two drinks. C'mon, Mr. Diamond, do you really think we don't know the [negligible] cost price of that "free" beverage isn't figured into the lunch special price?

- Mr. Diamond permits only one credit card payment per table. Since other establishments can easily accomodate and sometimes even offer to make payment this way for tables of mutiple guests, I can only assume Mr. Diamond cannot handle the basic arithmetic involved in breaking out the bill for individuals.

- And here's the real kicker! When the bill for our lunch arrived, we noted that a gratuity had been added. For a table of 5 - puleeeze...!. But okay. When we asked Mr. Diamond why he had added the grauity, he responded, "Because I can.". Hmmmm....because he "can"?!?! This is an unacceptable abuse of customer good will and just plain dirty dealing. When a business owner arbitrarily and unapologetically plays with your money like that, you might as well just bend over when you walk in the door (and you know what I mean). You've been warned.

Visited July 2011
Wilmington, Delaware
“will never go back.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

Mark the owner/waiter/busboy is rude, arrogant and with an ego the size of the restaurant. He added 18% gratuity for 5 people. When we questioned him why - he said " because I am the owner and I can". Someone made the comment that we would not be back and he replied "good because you have aggrevated me all day". He also was rude another time because 2 people wanted to pay with credit cards and his policy is one card per table. He is great for whiping out the menu to show you what it says. How many people read the fine print on a menu?

• Visited July 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Wilmington, DE
“Great food and drinks!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

I had previously been to this restaurant to see a band, but only had drinks there. I love Cajun food, so I was interested to come back and try the food. My dad also loves Cajun food, so I took him there for Father's Day. We had a great dinner! He had the blackened redfish (one of his favorites and hard to find) and I had the Bourbon St. Pasta. Both were excellent! I also love that they do half portions of entrees. The bread pudding with whiskey sauce was amazing! The homemade white chocolate brownie was just okay - kind of dry and not very flavorful. This restaurant also has excellent drinks. Abita beer from New Orleans, tasty mojitos, and other specialty drinks. Definitely worth a visit!

• Visited June 2011