“Have the right expectation you will get the Best theatre value!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 26 Activities in Wilmington
Type: Dinner Theaters, Performances
More attraction details
Owner description: Delaware's best kept secret for a night of entertainment is New Candlelight Theatre. Located in historic Ardentown, DE, New Candlelight provides an all-inclusive evening of Dinner and Professional theatre in an intimate atmosphere, all for a reasonable price. Operating as a theater venue for over 75 years, the stage of this quaint barn comes alive every weekend year round and entertains thousands of theater-goers through the course of the year. While musicals are New Candlelight’s specialty, other special events such as a monthly Comedy Night, are also available offering patrons various opportunities to experience Live Theatre. Tickets are $55 for adults and include full course buffet and show. Cash bar is available as well as free parking. Children and group discount tickets are also available.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
“Have the right expectation you will get the Best theatre value!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

What a great little theatre! You feel like you are in a 1950's camp lodge somewhere in the mountains, when you are really just a few short minutes off 1-95 in Northern Delaware. For the very modest price of a ticket you get an adequate dinner buffet and a terrific show. The place is tiny, so every table has great seating. The whole experience is something out of the early 70's. The food is fine. Gourmet, absolutley not! But fine just the same. Depending on the show, some are amazing, some are just OK, but we have never been disappointed. When you consider for around 50 bucks, you are fed and entertained for the evening... it isn't much more than a movie with a jumbo popcorn, soda and some candy. You really can't beat it. The performers are trained actors and usually very talented. When you add up the cost of a Broadway show ticket, travel, meals and what have you... this is really a no brainer. We took a bunch of kids to see Cats for our daughter's birthday one year and they were running a special of around $25/child for dinner and a show. It cost me more for a basic kids party out with food and activity. Again, the value is amazing... can't say enough. A very fun evening always had by all.

People who complain about low priced activities not giving them top notch food and top notch entertainment, usually are not happy with anything and their reviews should be suspect. You can't have champagne expectations with a beer budget! Nothing is free in life and you tend to get what you pay for.

Bottom line: The show is worth the cost of the ticket and the dinner is just a nice extra! The place is great. Set your expectations where they should be and you will go back again and again!

***Do note that the performers are paid VERY LITTLE and they serve your drinks and bus your table for tip money. Be gracious, tip them well and be glad you or your children aren't trying to earn a living as actors... I am personally really grateful for this every day!

Visited March 2012

Wilmington, Delaware
6 attraction reviews
“We LOVE Candlelight!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

The New Candlelight theater is excellent. The acting is top notch and some of their plays are original productions. The best part for me, however, is the dinner offered before the production. It is a very tasty buffet style dining experience prior to the play.

Visited February 2012
New_Candlelight, Manager at New Candlelight Theatre, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
Hello,
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of our theater. We strive to provide a professional dining and entertainment experience in our intimate atmosphere and it is always nice to hear when our efforts pay off. We hope you will have an opportunity to join us again in the future and I look forward to sharing your review with our staff and crew.

Take care,
Maureen Cotellese
Box Office Manager
Chicago, Illinois
15 attraction reviews
“Expected an OK Evening, and Got Just That”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

We went to the recent opening night of "Miss Saigon" at this neighborhood dinner theater, expecting an OK evening, and that's what we got. Considering its limited budget, the production was OK. I must say I very much enjoyed the opening sequence, with lots of young ladies writhing onstage clad in just bikinis and heels; however, considering the subject matter, it seemed odd that only one or two cast members were actually Asian. The show itself seemed a bit of a cliche: boy meets girl, they fall in love, are separated, he marries another woman, background war, etc. (Yes, I know it's a re-do of "Madame Butterfly.") The theater itself is comfy and homey. The acting and singing were all right, but not exceptional. The food at the buffet was similarly bland, and overcooked. The beef and pork were hard to chew, meatballs not very tasty, chicken was all right, I suppose. I did like the vegetables, but then I do like my veggies cooked into a limp, mushy state. Desserts were varied: apple pie, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, tiramisu cake, cheesecake, etc. However, none were of high quality, and the chocolate cake's frosting tasted even worse than what you get out of a can. I did like the chocolate cream pie with ersatz whipped cream, however -- more than I should have! Overall, I'd say that this venue is OK for what it is-- a cozy neighborhood dinner theater.

Visited January 2012
Dover, Delaware
5 attraction reviews
“Spotlight on the Candlelight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

If you want a good time to be had by all, go to the Candlelight. A first class dinner theater that's great for 2 or 200. I mean 200. I was the social chair for a group sometime ago and I use to hold our end of the year meeting at the Candlelight. I bought out the house and we held our "meeting" during intermission. This is a Gem. Must enjoy the experience.

Visited January 2012
Wilmington, Delaware, United States
“Always Great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

We have been season ticket holders for 3 years and are always amazed at the wonderful shows they put on. The talent and energy of the cast ensures a good time & it seems that they truly enjoy performing for us.
I was a little skeptical of their doing an original productiion, A Very Candlelight Christmas, but once again did a fantastic job. Thoroughly entertaining and well performed.
Thanks for the good time!
Jim & Robin