“Expected an OK Evening, and Got Just That” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 26 Activities in Wilmington
Type: Dinner Theaters, Performances
More attraction details
Owner description: Delaware's best kept secret for a night of entertainment is New Candlelight Theatre. Located in historic Ardentown, DE, New Candlelight provides an all-inclusive evening of Dinner and Professional theatre in an intimate atmosphere, all for a reasonable price. Operating as a theater venue for over 75 years, the stage of this quaint barn comes alive every weekend year round and entertains thousands of theater-goers through the course of the year. While musicals are New Candlelight’s specialty, other special events such as a monthly Comedy Night, are also available offering patrons various opportunities to experience Live Theatre. Tickets are $55 for adults and include full course buffet and show. Cash bar is available as well as free parking. Children and group discount tickets are also available.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Chicago, Illinois
15 attraction reviews
“Expected an OK Evening, and Got Just That”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

We went to the recent opening night of "Miss Saigon" at this neighborhood dinner theater, expecting an OK evening, and that's what we got. Considering its limited budget, the production was OK. I must say I very much enjoyed the opening sequence, with lots of young ladies writhing onstage clad in just bikinis and heels; however, considering the subject matter, it seemed odd that only one or two cast members were actually Asian. The show itself seemed a bit of a cliche: boy meets girl, they fall in love, are separated, he marries another woman, background war, etc. (Yes, I know it's a re-do of "Madame Butterfly.") The theater itself is comfy and homey. The acting and singing were all right, but not exceptional. The food at the buffet was similarly bland, and overcooked. The beef and pork were hard to chew, meatballs not very tasty, chicken was all right, I suppose. I did like the vegetables, but then I do like my veggies cooked into a limp, mushy state. Desserts were varied: apple pie, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, tiramisu cake, cheesecake, etc. However, none were of high quality, and the chocolate cake's frosting tasted even worse than what you get out of a can. I did like the chocolate cream pie with ersatz whipped cream, however -- more than I should have! Overall, I'd say that this venue is OK for what it is-- a cozy neighborhood dinner theater.

Visited January 2012

Dover, Delaware
5 attraction reviews
“Spotlight on the Candlelight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

If you want a good time to be had by all, go to the Candlelight. A first class dinner theater that's great for 2 or 200. I mean 200. I was the social chair for a group sometime ago and I use to hold our end of the year meeting at the Candlelight. I bought out the house and we held our "meeting" during intermission. This is a Gem. Must enjoy the experience.

Visited January 2012
Wilmington, Delaware, United States
“Always Great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

We have been season ticket holders for 3 years and are always amazed at the wonderful shows they put on. The talent and energy of the cast ensures a good time & it seems that they truly enjoy performing for us.
I was a little skeptical of their doing an original productiion, A Very Candlelight Christmas, but once again did a fantastic job. Thoroughly entertaining and well performed.
Thanks for the good time!
Jim & Robin

Visited December 2011
Media, Pennsylvania
30 attraction reviews
“NOT an attraction, it's a DINNER THEATER!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

We saw Annie here and that was tremendous on it's own, but we were thrilled when the actors came around to serve drinks! What a fun time! It's in a beautiful, wooded part outside of Wilmington so it's easy to get to. The buffet was great but the one complaint i had was the way the lines went. They actually had a traffic person. So if you go, wait till the line dies down. Otherwise the food was great for adults AND kids. Tons to choose from as well!
The have a great assortment of shows to pick from and the cast is FANTASTIC!
We LOVED IT! You've GOT to try this place at least once!

Visited June 2011
Enola, Pennsylvania, United States
“nice play --except for the ad libs”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

political slurs by a yuppie Liberal cast are not appreciated by your hardworking, Conservative, 'paying' audience

Visited December 2011