“Probably the best restaurant in Wilmington” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Moro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 460 Restaurants in Wilmington
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 13th Street (1 block from Pennsylvania Avenue and 711)
Description: The contemporary setting of the dining area and exceptional food from 3 time nominated James Beard Chef Michael DiBianca make Moro one of Wilmington's best restaurants. The ambiance has a big city feel while the food and service ranks right up there with the best in the region. Moro offers a cuisine of Just Good Food along with an amazing wine list, Chef tasting menu is available upon request. Moro Wine Dinner Series. Recent acclaims include Zaget's Delaware's Best Restaurant, Wine Spectator Award of Excellence, Delaware Today Magazine - Best New Restaurant, Best Service, Philadelphia Inquirer, Three Bells, Craig LaBan
Philadelphia, PA
“Probably the best restaurant in Wilmington”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Moro claims they serve Mediterranean food; I'd simply describe it as "gourmet Euro-American." Whatever it is, it's very good. And the service is, in general, very good. Wine (a little pricey) and beer (reasonable) are also very good. They also often offer deals on the groupon-like sites that can save you 30 bucks or so, making a meal here remarkably affordable given the exceptional quality.

Like any gourmet restaurant, the food has highs and lows, but a lot more hits than misses. Both meat and seafood dishes can be superb. And they generally get dessert right, too. I find a lot of innovative desserts to be worse than traditional desserts. But I just had their "study in chocolate" which, while "weird," was quite tasty.

Bottomline, this is probably the best restaurant in Wilmington, and you're unlikely to have a bad meal.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Wilmington, DE
“Great Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I do not get to Moro often however it is a nice place for a Birthday celebration or another special event. Dinner at Moro was as always wonderful. I had the New York Strip Steak which was one of the special offereing for the evening. Overall the offereing was very good. My friend had the oysters and the Lamb and both were very good. I find the food wonderful however the service good. The atmosphere is always nice and the beverages are always made to perfection. I highly recommend Moro as I always have in the past.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Wilmington, Delaware
“Superb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Superb. Great ambiance, excellent service, and our meals were fabulous. My wife had the halibut, and I had the lamb shank (a special) which melted in your mouth. Even the bone was licked clean. Thanks also to Living Social for the discount opportunity.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Second time around”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Visited with the family and we were all please. The antipasti appetizer was a good choice (I think next I will skip the veggies and just go for the cured meats .. wow that was tasty). We decided to try the smaller plates and shared away. All of the dishes were tasty and we left room for dessert (which was just as good). The service was good and everyone left happy.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
WEST GROVE
“Destination Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Several years ago, renown food critic Craig Laban of the Philadelphia Inquirer gave Moro three bells. From that moment I knew that I wanted to dine there, but we never seemed to go in that direction for dining and entertainment (theatre or music) like we did to Philadelphia. A play at a local theatre seemed fun and it was our chance to go to Moro as well. Other diners have commented on parking, but we were very fortunate to find a spot around the block just a few steps away from the front door.

We were greeted by a lovely and spirited young lady that warned us of the steps and then we were promptly seated. Our server, Matthew attended to us immediately and we chose our wine and scoured the menus. We decided on the specials all around-garlic shrimp, foie gras, whole branzino and hanger steak (with a most delicious and rich sauce). We enjoyed a cheese plate with a generous pour of bourbon as our final course. The preparation of our dishes was perfect.

Matthew and his team were stealthy and they took care of us and nearby diners efficiently and graciously. Previous comments of poor service was not proved on this evening with us.

This is a venue for celebrations, romantic outings, business and friend dining. There was a family with 3 children that were extremely well behaved (good parenting), but I would not recommend that you bring young, impatient children. This is not a pizza or macaroni and cheese joint. I would get a sitter and enjoy your evening.

Moro has definitely earned our designation as a destination restaurant. It can stand alone.

• Visited March 2013