“The worst Wyndham I've ever stayed at!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Doubletree Wilmington Downtown

Save Saved
You added Doubletree Wilmington Downtown to your Saves list
Doubletree Wilmington Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   700 N. King Street, Wilmington, DE 19801 (Formerly Spencer Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
Save $25 on Food & Drinks
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Wilmington
Hillsborough, New Jersey
“The worst Wyndham I've ever stayed at!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2005

First off, I've stayed at other Wyndhams before but I have never been to one quite like this. From the outside it seems like your average 'nice' hotel; the lobby was very nice and I couldn't wait to get to out room. Our room happened to be on the first floor...which I thought was weird but definitely not unheard of. When my husband and I got to our room we found out that it was right ouside of the pool area. The smell of chloriene was ridiculous. Our room was probably one of the cheapest looking Wyndham hotel rooms that I have ever seen. Everything about it reaked of 'I need a renovation'. The size was like an efficiency room that you would expect to get if you were staying at a Days Inn or Best Western....but not for what we were paying at a Wyndham. The bedspread was old looking and there were clearly water stains on the ceiling. Our mattress gave me back pain the entire weekend and I ended up coming home with an extremely sore shoulder and back. I felt like I was staying in a prison cell becuase the walls were clearly cinder block walls and everything echoed in there.On Saturday morning we were awakened at 8:30am by a chorus who decided to use the pool area as their practice room. It was horrible. When I called downstairs to the front desk to complain and request a room change they informed me that the hotel had been overbooked and that there was nothing that they could do in terms of changing our room excpet place us on a 'waiting list' and if someone cancelled then maybe we could ahve our room changed.Needless to say, they were never able to move us. The rugs on the first floor were dirty and clearly soiled. Everything about this place screamed makeover. We had other friends staying in other rooms at the same hotel and they had much nicer and spacious rooms than we did. After this experience I doubt that I will ever stay at a Wyndham again.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Yellowknife, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2005

Well I will list the one good thing before I get into the bad. The best thing about this hotel is that it is probably the best in Wilmington area. It does have a nice little pub with friendly wait staff. However we reserved a king sized room on the top floor, and when we arrived we were told that they had a football tournament in town and that there was a high school team that decided they wanted upgraded rooms and since they had booked so many rooms they were given first preference on all the rooms in the hotel. We had even used our credit card for a room guarantee. So guess what rooms we got stuck with....the ones overlooking the pool. I have strong allergies to chlorine and when i called to talk to the front desk about it, they told me there was nothing they could do but send me to another hotel. The only one they could find in town was across the street and was $100 more a night because there were only 2 rooms left. The customer service manager told me I would have to pay the xtra and I was shocked. If this was fault of my own then i could see it, but due to the incompetance of this terrible hotels staff and management my 2 day stay turned out to be a huge disappointment....but saying that, the whole city was as well (maybe this is because of the dodgy area the hotel is located in)!!

• Stayed November 2004
Havre De Grace
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2005

I came to Wilmington, DE for the purpose of seeing a performance at the Grand Opera House and this hotel is the ideal place....just one block of walking distance. More than that, the hotel looks very nice and the amenities were too attractive to pass up! The only problem I had was the restaurant had very limited choices and the food was pricey so I would just take advantage of the cheaper restaurants nearby.

I would highly recommend this hotel and should I ever come to town for overnight, this hotel can certainly count on me to do business again.

• Stayed February 2005
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2004

An adequate hotel in downtown. Decent clean room, good sized. The plumbing was noisy from adjacent rooms. Staff OK. There was a problem with checkin (room wasn't available at 5 pm) but they made good with some free breakfast coupons.

Edison, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2004

Just came back from this hotel and found that we had lots of fun living there because it is at the center of Wilmington and can walk to most interested area.

As soon as got off Hwy, found the hotel, although many one ways in the city. Stop the car and checked in; the front desk was very nice and polite but told me only smoking room left; he found very hard and told me he finally locate a non smoking room. Was told $9 for parking and parking facility was right next to the hotel. Well, you can park on street; it is like Wall Street area at night, not too many cars, lots of bank buildings.

Park the car and took the elevator right up at 6th floor. I was surprised to find out this non smoking room was newly converted from smoking to non smoking at the front desk explained over the phone. But, it was amazing that after giving them 30 minutes to ionized the room, the room smell really fresh!!! The machine the brought was like the ones sold at Shaper Image...

We then walked across street to find this Mediterian Grill restaurant with coupon on Entertainment Book but surprised to find out it was right at the Brandywine Suites hotel but was told it was gone by their front desk and replaced by Greenvilles restaurant; to our surprise, that restaurant just went out of business. (should have called first). I was told their guest even walk over to eat at Wyndham's on promise restaurant which was crowd at the time. So, we just walk around to check out the downtown.

Right across street was University of Delaware, on more block is famous Grand Opera House ---------------------- occpied big part of the block but entrance was at the other side. The whole street was under renovation, many stores closed at night. But two more blocks to West 10th street (Wyndham was at West 8th and North King St), you will see Public Library, Hotel Du Pont, Sheraton Suites, Marriott Courtyard, and nice foundtain with colorful lights at night. That area has been renovated and new street, sidewalk, buildings ...etc.

The following morning, we took the Wilmington Trolly (only 25 cents, kids free) --------------------------- right at the corner of Wyndham and tour the whole downtown and went down to the Christiana River front before coming back to the hotel; this is the best way to get to know this town.

We then check out this RiverEdge restaurant with Entertainment Book coupon, but the restaurant was closed for renovation again. So, we just went to Trolley Square and bought lunch to Brayndwine Park for a nice picnic. Somehow the park on Bryandwine River has lots of bridges like a maze ----------------------------------- but is a very nice quiet area for lunch. Then we checked out the Brandywine Zoo ------------------------------------- that also has Entertainment Book coupon. I was surprised this small zoo also had tiger, llama, and some other rare animals ...

Other BFT review saying that this hotel is located at a somehow run down area; it could be true now but soon will be wrong because it is renovating everywhere. It may looks a bit scary at the first visit because there was a bus shelter right across street that has dozen bus lines thru here (as I said it is at the heart of the city), and you may see many people waiting for the bus, but they are all good people. I only met one homeless gentleman asking me for help, and I gave him $5; he was very happy and appreciated, and I did not feel scare walking on the street at night. There were many cars on street before I went to sleep, but around 2am I saw from my window, there were only a few cars; I believe those earlier ones were people went to Grand Opera House.

This hotel also has a medium size pool at ground floor and many other things, but I did not really spend much time in the hotel; I was taking advantage of the great location of it check around the town.

New York, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2003

While this was far from the nicest Wyndham I've stayed in, this hotel is actually pretty nice on the inside. Handsome lobby and large, nice enough rooms. However, our non-smoking room reeked of smoke, and we were moved to a room with less of a smoke odor. Service was a little sketchy in that first, they gave us the wrong key for the first room, and we had to go down to replace the key ourselves (understaffed, they said, so they couldn't replace it for us). Otherwise, the hotel was fine, and if you have to be in downtown Wilmington, this is as good as any. Note that there aren't really any restaurants within easy walking distance of the hotel, and you're near some pretty questionable neighborhoods too.

A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2003

'Recently returned from an exciting 5-night stay at the Wyndham in Wilmington, and have never laughed so hard for so long in all my life!If you love your life, do NOT take any room on the 6th floor because there are 9 rooms on one electrical line. So what, you say???How about trying to turn on the television, and each time shorting out ALL of your room's lights? How about going through this 5x in one-half hour in one day? How about using YOUR hair dryer, instead of theirs, and getting the same room-shutting effect? And when your neighbors do the same, your TV doesn't work?This was the gang that simply, absolutely, couldn't shoot straight if they tried!HOWEVER, the staff was wonderful, and had a super sense of humor! They also treated us like family, and gave us the greatest recommendations for where to go to eat: Joe's Crab Shack!Now, trying to drive to get to "Joe's" was another matter entirely! We'll let you have that much fun, too!!!And, hey, if this doesn't sound like enough fun, add that the last morning we were there, trying to get out early to get our train for our next destination, there was a fire alarm emptying out the entire hotel and we all waited on the side walks only to be told "it was a FALSE alarm!"My companion and I swear one of the staff pulled it intentionally to get back at us for all of our necessary, complaining phone calls about their electrical non-workings!!!Have fun at the Wyndham we say!!!

Been to Doubletree Wilmington Downtown? Share your experiences!