“Great service, convenient to train station” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Doubletree Wilmington Downtown

You added Doubletree Wilmington Downtown to your Saves list
Doubletree Wilmington Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   700 N. King Street, Wilmington, DE 19801 (Formerly Spencer Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
Save $25 on Food & Drinks
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Wilmington
Miami, Florida
“Great service, convenient to train station”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

The hotel was very comfortable, and clean. The beds and bedding were very comfortable, and my room was quiet (3rd floor). It was a 10 minute walk from the SEPTA / Amtrak station if you are arriving by train from Philly, Baltimore, or NY. The service was very good, all the staff were very welcoming and attentive. There is a neat gym room, and a nice pool which I didn't use.

The location is not the best at night, but I ordered food from a Chinese restaurant called Joyful Garden, and it was very good and very cheap.

My only issue with the hotel was that the room was a bit cold and it's not possible for guests to adjust the heater/AC in your room (it appears locked and the digital display just says "on").

Breakfast is not included, but internet is (and works well). I booked this through a special at Expedia, and because of that I thought it was a pretty good value.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Damascus, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This isn't the top tier of Hiltons, but it was very clean and comfortable. The heater didn't work in my room (they have been upgrading and hadn't got to that one yet). When the friendly and kind maintenance guy arrived, he looked at it for just a minute and then said he'd get me another room rather than have to wait for repairs. He called the desk, they gave him a room number on the same floor and I was in the new room within one minute. He also took care of getting me new key cards, saving me a trip back to the front desk. For my tiny bit of trouble, the hotel automatically comped my parking - very nice gesture.

In both rooms, the furniture and carpet were immaculate (had to lean down to get something that rolled under the nightstand, and noticed no dirt or dustbunnies!) The bathroom fixtures appear to be new and tub, sink and toilet were clean and white, with no stains. Not a speck of dust anywhere in the room.

My only dissatisfaction was that the new room (815) was near the elevator and I could feel the faint rumble every minute or so all night (new year's eve). Not loud, but if you are a light sleeper, you might want to avoid rooms on any floor with numbers in the mid-teens.

Front desk staff was kind and helpful; directing me to a great sandwich place and managing to find a cab that would take me just the few blocks to the event I was attending, but didn't want to walk to in the dark.

I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Spotsylvania, Virginia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

I booked through priceline, so they gave me the worst floor with the worst view. The rooms were nice and clean and the location was nice but it was just lacking. I did not like the ambiance. The front desk staff were ok but a bit robotic, the room service lady who also worked in the restaurant was not welcoming. The food was horrible, served cold and was not made to my specifications. The young man in housekeeping went out of his way to help me, so I appreciate his excellent service and attitude and the bartender made kick butt drinks. Also the walls were paper thin, on could here everything going on in the bathroom as if they were in my room, also there was banging the whole time I was there, so I did not get any sleep. I would not stay here again unless I got the room for a steal.

Room Tip: Upper floor
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Monmouth, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I've stayed at this Doubletree before but in a room on a higher floor. This room was by the pool and there wass a mechanical noise all the time. Sort of like a white noise. I put up with it but other may not like it. Ask for a room on a higher floor. I also like this hotel because of the bar. nice place to sit and have dinner. All in all very comfortable and plesant stay. Hotel staff is great. I got in Sunday after noon and asked if there were any liquor stors in the area. They offered to drive me to one.

Room Tip: Stay off the first floor and away from the pool area
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
St. Augu
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

This hotel is not in the best area. While they are making an effort to update the hotel, the guest elevators were not operational at times throughout the trip. They did make a service (1) elevator available.

Before making reservation, called the hotel to ensure shuttle service to St. Frances Hospital. Hotel staff confirmed. Upon arrival the front desk agent suggested I take the public transit bus as their shuttle was booked solid by a corporate client. After a long conversation, we were able to work out shuttle service. Shuttle service is un-reliable.

It is obvious they are trying to improve the fixtures, carpet, paint, etc. Hopefully the service will get its own makeover.

Room Tip: Room 821 was very quiet. Spacious. Updated.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Newport, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

My husband and I stayed there for 2 nights to attend my brother's wedding. Maybe the hotel has undergone some upgrades because I found the lobby to be pleasantly decorated for the holidays and up-to-date and clean. The best part of our experience was the helpful front desk staff and particularly James. He helped us with 3 separate requests and always had a smile. The maid service left extra towels at our request and prepared our room during the hour we were out before getting ready for the wedding. I really think others need to be careful when reading negative reviews. People don't realize that even a 3-star review is basically a negative review. Was the Doubletree in Wilmington similar to a Ritz Carlton or some classic fancy Parisian hotel? Of course not, but it was everything I expected for the location and price.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

It's just ok! It didn't give me that Hilton flair I'm used to. We requested ahead of time that we wanted a top floor. We were put in the 4th floor of 9. When we went to the room the fridge was completely out of the cuoboard. When we went to move it in ... There was water all over the floor. Needless to say we had to change rooms. We ended up on the 7th floor and the desk clerk was nice enough to warn us they only had rooms by the elevator. The pool area is under constitution but you can still swim. There was oatmeal cookies... Where's the chocolate chip!?!

Was it a horrible stay ... No ... I just expect more from a Hilton property.

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Doubletree Wilmington Downtown? Share your experiences!