“Stay here, room and bath was great, but the service is terrible” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Doubletree Wilmington Downtown

You added Doubletree Wilmington Downtown to your Saves list
Doubletree Wilmington Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   700 N. King Street, Wilmington, DE 19801 (Formerly Spencer Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
Save $25 on Food & Drinks
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Wilmington
Parkton, MD
“Stay here, room and bath was great, but the service is terrible”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Holy cow! What a mixed up review this is going to be. Loved the location, right across the street from the Grand concert hall. Loved the bedding and how clean our room and bath was. Our dinner was delicious. And, the front desk staff was cordial, although inept.. But, I didn't love the fact that someone else had a keycard and used it to get into our room not 10 minutes after we checked in!!!! Very scary!!!! The desk clerk called us up immediately afterwards trying to make it up to us with a free breakfast voucher, which we certainly appreciated the effort, (but we had already PAID for breakfast during the reservation process !!!!! and the charge was not removed). We were also at the front desk when another party came up to say that when they got to their room, someone else was already in it! .Didn't love the fact that after the concert, our own keycard wouldn't open our room door, and we had to trek back down to the desk to have him key it back in! Didn't love that we waited over an hour to get dinner, when there were only three other parties in the dining room. Didn't love the fact that although we were told parking would be free, it cost us $10 even after validation. One more thing, and this just emphasizes not to make reservations over the Internet. I made the reservation on the website never noticing the AAA discount offer, it wasn't at all obvious. So, when I realized it, I used the customer service link in the confirmation email, and asked if they could please modify the reservation to give me the AAA discount. Their answer was that they couldn't, that I should cancel the one I had made and make another one. Before I did, though, I went back on the hotel site, put in my info claiming the discount, only to find out that now, just 20 minutes after my first reservation was made, that although the room charge was $20 lower, the special breakfast deal was more expensive. Yikes!!!!! I just left my original reservation alone, figuring that I would take it up with the front desk clerk. But when we got there, and they were so inept, I never brought it up. All in all, I would probably stay there again, but, would certainly be on the lookout for all of these mistakes.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Wilmington, Delaware, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We were at a dinner there and didn't realize that we had lost a shoe (don't ask) until we got home. We called the Hotel several times and they could not have been more helpful! And they found the shoe, too.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I recently spent a night at this hotel and it was a miserable experience from check-in to check-out. After refusing to accept the credit card we used to book the room, we were turned away. I was there for a high school reunion so, thankfully, a friend offered to pay for the room. I really wish she hadn't because the room was a nightmare. There were tiny black specks on both beds that looked like dead bugs, there was no free wifi and the temperature of the room was about 60 degrees F with no way of adjusting it. After one sleepless night, we left. Our parking wasn't validated even though there are signs everywhere stating they will validate parking for "all overnight guests". Fine, I was willing to pay the ten bucks just so I didn't have to spend another minute in that place. Imagine my surprise when the parking garage attendant told me he didn't accept cash. We weren't allowed to leave the parking deck until we signed a statement agreeing to pay them $10 when they bill us next week.

I will never stay at another Doubletree/Hilton hotel ever again.

Room Tip: Save yourself the headache and book elsewhere
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Middletown, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We had our rooms paid for by a company that hired us for an event. I've always had pleasant stays every time I've stayed at one through a company or on my own. I love their chocolate chip cookies. Hotel rooms came with a small refrigerator which is always needed and the one we had you can tell was clean as soon as you open it. The only issue I noticed was the toilet bottom was a little dirty and the inside of the toilet could have been cleaned a little better. I know it's technically like a public toilet but a hotel is supposed to make you feel like you are home away from home. Other than that the rest of the bathroom and hotel room were clean. Oh we paid $10 for parking in the hotel parking lot just so you are aware of another fee you have to pay for. Plan ahead of bringing outside food before you park if you plan to come back to your hotel after 11pm because the only place you can order from & get delivered is Domino's pizza.

• Stayed September 2012
Shokan, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We had traveled for a while and finally got to the hotel. We arrived at 10:30pm. The desk receptionist was pleasant. We had a very large room and had no problem setting up the pack and play for my grandson They must have updated a few things because our room had fresh paint in it. and the bathroom was very clean and new looking. The only thing I saw wrong was the toilet bowl had to be tightened down it wobbled when you sat on it. Parking was good because the handicapped parking is right in front but, if you aren't handicapped be prepared to walk a distance to get to the hotel.

Room Tip: Our room as I stated before was large and had plenty of room to move around without banging into som...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Was forced to stay here while on business at one of the local banks in town in Wilmington. I arrived around midnight and parked at the hotel and knew I was in for some trouble when I had to buzz in and talk to the hotel staff just to get buzzed in and unlock the doors for me. (If you don't know Wilmington isn't the nicest of places).

Although the front staff employee said they were not booked up I was not awarded with any sort of upgrade (Diamond Member) and was not treated the friendliest. My room had a weird old smell to it and was sort of run down.

It seems like the whole city shuts down around like 6 PM once all of the workers leave and there aren't that many options to eat around the hotel. If you have to travel to Wilmington for business (God Bless you) I recommend staying a couple of miles outside the city at the Hilton Christiana. Well worth the 15 minute drive into the city and not having to worry about getting mugged while walking to your car!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

As with other reviews, I found this hotel ok for a one night stay. Stayed on a Friday night and it was very quiet. The room was good sized with an odd purplish color scheme. It seemed clean and adequate for a night. Parking was a bit tricky to find underneath the hotel and my son & I went to a Wilmington Blue Rocks game and when we came back, the entrance I went in during the day (I mistakenly went in the parking garage entry, not the hotel entry) was gated but we eventually found it ok.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Doubletree Wilmington Downtown? Share your experiences!