“Worst Hotel Experience Of My Life” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Doubletree Wilmington Downtown

You added Doubletree Wilmington Downtown to your Saves list
Doubletree Wilmington Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   700 N. King Street, Wilmington, DE 19801 (Formerly Spencer Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
Save $25 on Food & Drinks
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Wilmington
Atlanta, Georgia
“Worst Hotel Experience Of My Life”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I recently spent a night at this hotel and it was a miserable experience from check-in to check-out. After refusing to accept the credit card we used to book the room, we were turned away. I was there for a high school reunion so, thankfully, a friend offered to pay for the room. I really wish she hadn't because the room was a nightmare. There were tiny black specks on both beds that looked like dead bugs, there was no free wifi and the temperature of the room was about 60 degrees F with no way of adjusting it. After one sleepless night, we left. Our parking wasn't validated even though there are signs everywhere stating they will validate parking for "all overnight guests". Fine, I was willing to pay the ten bucks just so I didn't have to spend another minute in that place. Imagine my surprise when the parking garage attendant told me he didn't accept cash. We weren't allowed to leave the parking deck until we signed a statement agreeing to pay them $10 when they bill us next week.

I will never stay at another Doubletree/Hilton hotel ever again.

Room Tip: Save yourself the headache and book elsewhere
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Middletown, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We had our rooms paid for by a company that hired us for an event. I've always had pleasant stays every time I've stayed at one through a company or on my own. I love their chocolate chip cookies. Hotel rooms came with a small refrigerator which is always needed and the one we had you can tell was clean as soon as you open it. The only issue I noticed was the toilet bottom was a little dirty and the inside of the toilet could have been cleaned a little better. I know it's technically like a public toilet but a hotel is supposed to make you feel like you are home away from home. Other than that the rest of the bathroom and hotel room were clean. Oh we paid $10 for parking in the hotel parking lot just so you are aware of another fee you have to pay for. Plan ahead of bringing outside food before you park if you plan to come back to your hotel after 11pm because the only place you can order from & get delivered is Domino's pizza.

• Stayed September 2012
Shokan, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We had traveled for a while and finally got to the hotel. We arrived at 10:30pm. The desk receptionist was pleasant. We had a very large room and had no problem setting up the pack and play for my grandson They must have updated a few things because our room had fresh paint in it. and the bathroom was very clean and new looking. The only thing I saw wrong was the toilet bowl had to be tightened down it wobbled when you sat on it. Parking was good because the handicapped parking is right in front but, if you aren't handicapped be prepared to walk a distance to get to the hotel.

Room Tip: Our room as I stated before was large and had plenty of room to move around without banging into som...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Was forced to stay here while on business at one of the local banks in town in Wilmington. I arrived around midnight and parked at the hotel and knew I was in for some trouble when I had to buzz in and talk to the hotel staff just to get buzzed in and unlock the doors for me. (If you don't know Wilmington isn't the nicest of places).

Although the front staff employee said they were not booked up I was not awarded with any sort of upgrade (Diamond Member) and was not treated the friendliest. My room had a weird old smell to it and was sort of run down.

It seems like the whole city shuts down around like 6 PM once all of the workers leave and there aren't that many options to eat around the hotel. If you have to travel to Wilmington for business (God Bless you) I recommend staying a couple of miles outside the city at the Hilton Christiana. Well worth the 15 minute drive into the city and not having to worry about getting mugged while walking to your car!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

As with other reviews, I found this hotel ok for a one night stay. Stayed on a Friday night and it was very quiet. The room was good sized with an odd purplish color scheme. It seemed clean and adequate for a night. Parking was a bit tricky to find underneath the hotel and my son & I went to a Wilmington Blue Rocks game and when we came back, the entrance I went in during the day (I mistakenly went in the parking garage entry, not the hotel entry) was gated but we eventually found it ok.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Got this hotel from hotwire.com at a good price. It was a busy weekend for the hotels in the area and they didn't have rooms with double beds, only one king size bed available. Room was clean and bed was very comfortable. However, when asked for a crib for my 1-year old, they didn't have one but only had a playpen that had a little weird smell with it. Also our room was one of the few rooms that has a door connecting to the next room, so I could hear (vaguely) what's going on in the other room. Street parking was easy to find but had to move the car early in the morning to avoid parking tickets, which was no problem for us since we wake up early anyway (have a one-year old with us). Overall a fine place to sleep which is all we asked for on this trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not have a door connecting to the next room if you don't want to hear a...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
New York, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I won this place on Priceline for $55, but that was pretty much what it was worth. I had never been to Wilmington before and did not know what to expect...but I am a lover of cities and downtowns, so I was glad to get a place in "the heart of the city." Unfortunately, Wilmington seems to be struggling to crawl out of the dog days of the 1970s. It is rough and tumble...and did not really feel safe at night. The hotel itself dates from the nadir of American architecture, and Hilton is attempting to update the place. That this needed work was going on during my stay did not improve the atmosphere, however. Some super foul smelling chemicals were being used to replace or repair carpeting and wallpaper in the lobby when I was there, and the smell permeated the entire hotel, even on the room floors. I did have a renovated room, which was fine in the current style - though I am sure this will be shortly outdated as well. The A/C struggled to keep up with the heat and humidity...but I was more bothered by the inability to open the windows...especially given the toxicity of the indoor air in the place. It might be tolerable for a night once the renovations are complete, and by all means, please support downtown Wilmington. It needs your help.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to Doubletree Wilmington Downtown? Share your experiences!