“The Best in Downtown Wilmington” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel du Pont
11th & Market Streets, Wilmington, DE 19801   |
Ranked #3 of 12 hotels in Wilmington
NewYork
“The Best in Downtown Wilmington”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

This is probably the best hotel in downtown wilmington, but that isn't saying much. The hotel is definately upscale (and expensive). I stayted there for one night on business and it was certainly comfortable and plesant. The king bed rooms are large with a separate sitting area. The rooms were spotlessly clean and nicely furnished.

Believe it or not, one of the advantages of this hotel is that there are always cabs parked outside, something that should not be eaisly overlooked considering that, at times, it is difficult to get a cab.

The in-room dining menue is very limited and the food is just okay. The restaurant menu and food are not much better.

All that being said, if you want a more upscale hotel while staying in Wilimgton, and are willing to pay for it, this is the best of the lot.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

226 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Millville, DE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I spent a night at the duPont prior to heading to NYC and a flight to Europe. In the 90's after its renovation, this hotel was a jewel with great food and service but as margins get tighter and cutbacks are made; the hotel is slipping. The hotel is usually overrun with attorney's as Wilmington is a corporate and bankruptcy mecca and many attorney's are now deciding to stay in Philly rather than pay the prices for declining service at the duPont.
As an example, the food is average at best and the Continental breakfast could not satisfy a super model. It was pathetically small and thank goodness my counsel put out a great spread of bagels and danish or I would have starved. My night turn down service was missed assuming there is still a turn down service. I needed a safe place to park my car for 4 days and when I called the front desk, they responded as if I was speaking Mandarin. The rooms are huge and comfortable, but my room was showing some age. Also please be careful of the rooms facing the street since the City of Wilmington runs buses all night that disturb sleep when they pull away from a red light on the corner. Ask for a room on the inside of the hotel away from the street. This hotel while only average in a City like NY; is the best place in Wilmington and still above average but unless some positive changes are made, it will fall to average in the near future!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Went with a day trip group to the green room for high tea. Treated to a history tour of some of the facilities. Did not see any of the rooms. This is a well maintained grand dame.They have an impressive collection of art. The staff seems to really like their jobs and successful in maintaining an aloof/ nice. So you feel upper crust but welcome all at the same time. It felt like being in a hotel in london. I look forward to going back to spend the night. The dessarts at high tea were delightful but obviously not made that day. I am spoiled from too much grand dinning at sea when the dessarts were made in house and immediate. but this tasted better. This the place to have a wedding. The ball room bare is beautiful. You can have your dinners in the green room and guests can stay the night in the hotel. the gift shop is an over kill of junk. the first time I ever went to a gift shop and not bought a thing. Didn't have time to explore the high end shops. Delaware has many places of interest this hotel is in a central location. Not good for tour bus parking but accomodation can be arranged. plan for valet parking lf you drive. stairs real art on the walls toddlers and small children need supervision. nice cozy bar area for a date.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Bedminster, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Being that I had never been to Delaware before, I had little expectation on what to expect. The Hotel du Pont was a delightful surprise to someone like myself that likes to stay at the finest. Old and historic luxury is how I would describe. Valet is a bit awkward as there is only one lane to pick up and drop off. Beyond that, check in and the staff were very accommodating and pleasant throughout my entire stay. I had slightly upgraded from the basic room and was pleasantly surprised to have a seating area in my room. Bathrooms were very large but with slightly dated fixtures. Another plus is that the Room Service menu caters to vegetarians..I just told them what I wanted and they made me my meal of choice. I would definitely stay there again the next time that I am in the Wilmington area.

Room Tip: Have to admit...the bed bug review on TripAdvisor did concern me but I had no problems.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

One of the best hotels on the east coast of the states. The staff went out of their way to make our stay a memorable one. Put on a buffet breakfast for 100 people that was absolutely outstanding in every way. We would highly recommend a stay at this gem if ever in the area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Great Falls, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I find myself in Wilmington frequently and have stayed at the Dupont on on dozens of occasions. The lobby is beautiful, the rooms are sadly dated and the service is good but monopolistic. When I say monopolistic I mean that the crew at the Dupont do not necessarily go out of their way to serve clientele, they instead act as if you should be happy to be staying at the nicest hotel in Wilmington.

The restaurant and bar options are average at best, not quite you would expect for a top flight hotel in a city. The bottom line is that, other than the Sheraton, the Dupont does indeed have a monopoly in Wilmington. The problem with monopolies, unfortunately, is that they often deter or hamper the desire to innovate and/or to offer things that set you apart from other hotels. This is the rut that the very average Dupont finds itself stuck in every day.

My four star rating reflects the great location and the fact that the hotel is tops in Wilmington. If, however, you were to compare the Dupont with a Ritz or a Four Seasons in virtually any other city, you would be looking at a dated three star facility with lofty unfulfilled expectations and possibilities. Let's keep our fingers crossed that the Dupont "gets it" at some point in the near future.

Room Tip: Certain rooms have a distinctive moldy smell to them. I would ask to avoid one of those at the desk...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Red Bank, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I attend the weekend long Blues festival in Wilmington, which is usually held the first weekend in August. After staying at a chain hotel (with the hookers in the parking lot) for the first 4 years, we decided to splurge a little and stay at The DuPont. Last year everything was perfect- the comfortable rooms, the valet parking service, the room service, the breakfast buffet ( which was a bit pricy, but what the hell). But when we ordered the romance bath the staff forgot to bring it to the room. When we got home from having dinner, it was not set up and they gave some excuse that they couldn't get the chocolate covered strawberries. They had hours to come up with what they needed from the time we placed the order to the expected scheduled time for set up. This year we had another incident. We had called the valet for our car. They said that it would be there right away, so we left our air conditioned room only to stand outside in 98 degree weather for about a half hour. Finally, when our car arrived, the driver had a passenger who jumped out of the car with take out food bags in his hand. We complained to the head valet and front desk that it looked like they were using our car to run errands. The only response that e got was that it would be reported to management and tgey said that they were sorry. We were annoyed that something like this would happen.

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Hotel du Pont? Share your experiences!