“Historic luxury - a great getaway” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel du Pont
11th & Market Streets, Wilmington, DE 19801   |
Ranked #4 of 12 hotels in Wilmington
Bedminster, New Jersey
“Historic luxury - a great getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Being that I had never been to Delaware before, I had little expectation on what to expect. The Hotel du Pont was a delightful surprise to someone like myself that likes to stay at the finest. Old and historic luxury is how I would describe. Valet is a bit awkward as there is only one lane to pick up and drop off. Beyond that, check in and the staff were very accommodating and pleasant throughout my entire stay. I had slightly upgraded from the basic room and was pleasantly surprised to have a seating area in my room. Bathrooms were very large but with slightly dated fixtures. Another plus is that the Room Service menu caters to vegetarians..I just told them what I wanted and they made me my meal of choice. I would definitely stay there again the next time that I am in the Wilmington area.

Room Tip: Have to admit...the bed bug review on TripAdvisor did concern me but I had no problems.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

242 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

One of the best hotels on the east coast of the states. The staff went out of their way to make our stay a memorable one. Put on a buffet breakfast for 100 people that was absolutely outstanding in every way. We would highly recommend a stay at this gem if ever in the area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Great Falls, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I find myself in Wilmington frequently and have stayed at the Dupont on on dozens of occasions. The lobby is beautiful, the rooms are sadly dated and the service is good but monopolistic. When I say monopolistic I mean that the crew at the Dupont do not necessarily go out of their way to serve clientele, they instead act as if you should be happy to be staying at the nicest hotel in Wilmington.

The restaurant and bar options are average at best, not quite you would expect for a top flight hotel in a city. The bottom line is that, other than the Sheraton, the Dupont does indeed have a monopoly in Wilmington. The problem with monopolies, unfortunately, is that they often deter or hamper the desire to innovate and/or to offer things that set you apart from other hotels. This is the rut that the very average Dupont finds itself stuck in every day.

My four star rating reflects the great location and the fact that the hotel is tops in Wilmington. If, however, you were to compare the Dupont with a Ritz or a Four Seasons in virtually any other city, you would be looking at a dated three star facility with lofty unfulfilled expectations and possibilities. Let's keep our fingers crossed that the Dupont "gets it" at some point in the near future.

Room Tip: Certain rooms have a distinctive moldy smell to them. I would ask to avoid one of those at the desk...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Red Bank, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I attend the weekend long Blues festival in Wilmington, which is usually held the first weekend in August. After staying at a chain hotel (with the hookers in the parking lot) for the first 4 years, we decided to splurge a little and stay at The DuPont. Last year everything was perfect- the comfortable rooms, the valet parking service, the room service, the breakfast buffet ( which was a bit pricy, but what the hell). But when we ordered the romance bath the staff forgot to bring it to the room. When we got home from having dinner, it was not set up and they gave some excuse that they couldn't get the chocolate covered strawberries. They had hours to come up with what they needed from the time we placed the order to the expected scheduled time for set up. This year we had another incident. We had called the valet for our car. They said that it would be there right away, so we left our air conditioned room only to stand outside in 98 degree weather for about a half hour. Finally, when our car arrived, the driver had a passenger who jumped out of the car with take out food bags in his hand. We complained to the head valet and front desk that it looked like they were using our car to run errands. The only response that e got was that it would be reported to management and tgey said that they were sorry. We were annoyed that something like this would happen.

• Stayed August 2012
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

My husband and I stayed here while attending a wedding. The rooms are just amazing. Big, beautiful suite. So spacious and beautifully decorated. The king size bed was so comfortable. The bathroom has a huge tub and separate shower. We have been to many hotels over the years and this room definitely stands out as one of the best.

You have to pay for ice and there is no room to put anything in the small refrigerator but these were minor, inconveniences.

There is 24 hour room service which is a wonderful amenity. Especially since there is no where to eat in the area.

Service was excellent. Any time we called for something, they were at the door in minutes.

You will love this place. Certainly reasonable for what you are getting - which is first class.

If you are looking to eat at the Green Room, you better make a reservation. We arrived on a Sunday and could not get in. There is a theatre here and this spot is popular. Thankfully, there was a place down the hall and across from the coffee shop (don't know the name) where you could get sandwiches. We had wraps and soup. Very good!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Convenient location downtown and near the Amtrak station. Several good restaurants are within walking distance. Staff is very friendly and welcoming. Rooms are very spacious, clean, quiet, and comfortable. They are furnished with traditional elegance. The bathroom is also spacious with both a shower enclosure and a jacuzzi tub. The turndown service in the evening was nicely done with a bathrobe laid out and a book on your pillow. The Green Dining Room was worth seeing to experience turn-of-the century glory days and served a good breakfast and lunch to boot. Within the property, there is a performing arts center so check out the schedule in case that interests you.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I stayed from 10/3-10/5/2012 and was BITTEN BY BED BUGS on my face, neck and chest in room 332. I informed management who seemed not to care. I lost $1100 of clothing and luggage destroyed by these blood sucking creatures. I will NEVER stay at Hotel Dupont again.

Room Tip: Stay Away- Bed Bugs!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hotel_duPont_DE, General Manager at Hotel du Pont, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
The Hotel du Pont’s most cherished asset is its reputation as one of the world’s finest hotels. So, proactive programs are in place to prevent problems of this nature. As hoteliers worldwide have discovered, hosting thousands of guests from myriad geographies each year makes it extremely difficult for even the most rigorous prevention and remediation efforts to ensure total success. Upon learning of this incident, Hotel management immediately contacted its professional exterminator to conduct a thorough investigation of the room in question and adjoining spaces. No evidence of activity was found. Guests are encouraged to bring concerts such as this to Hotel management so that they may be addressed quickly and effectively. That is precisely what happened when this guest’s complaint was received.

- Hotel du Pont General Manager

Been to Hotel du Pont? Share your experiences!