“The Last Time We Will Stay!” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #24 of 29 Hotels in Rehoboth Beach
PA
“The Last Time We Will Stay!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Let me begin by saying that we have used this property many times over the years for its convenience and reasonable rates, however this weekend will be the last of those many stays! It appears as though the place is being let go as we have had the same room several times, and this time actually thought that we were put into our two bedroom suite before the maid was done as there were hand-prints all over the sliding doors, something that resembled a turd under the edge of the microwave in one of the two kitchenettes, a pile of linens on the toilet, no tissues, no plastic cups, a light filled with bugs hanging out of the ceiling in one of the bathrooms, multiple shampoos but no conditioner, and a TV that did not work with no remote in one bedroom which had the electric cord running out the front of the stand and around the side to an outlet.

We called about the TV and it was changed out, but none of the other issues changed, nor did the maid ever clean the room over the weekend that we were there. When we complained we were told that the maid comes to each room once by 10AM, and if there is a do not disturb sign does not come back! Really, if you are on vacation, you are supposed to be out of the room every day by 10 or else, I don't think so!! The front desk clerk whom I spoke to told me that I could stop at the desk for clean towels but that no one is there later in the day to do anything for us despite the maid seeing us remove the sign on the door around noon while she was still working! We ended up making our own beds, cramming the trash into the one tiny basket the best we could and using hand towels in the morning as bath towels - unacceptable at any price let alone at about $175 a night.

On our first morning, I stopped at the front desk where one clerk was sleeping and the other appeared to be on the phone with another employee noting complaints about a maid, etc. I stood there for about 40 seconds before the clerk on the phone woke the other clerk up to help me. At breakfast the first morning, the attendant spent more time leaning against the wall texting than filling the breakfast. At one point both front desk clerks came out to help her as folks were asking for items that were empty, and this was still early. On the second morning, the maid staff came in for coffee and breakfast and stood around talking about their evenings prior as patrons waited and had to walk around the group. Once the group left the same attendant from the first morning stood leaning at the wall despite items being empty. Just prior to this, the three-tiered container holding jelly, butter, and cream cheese had fallen down but went unnoticed as well.

Friends who had not stayed at this property before, noted rotted wood around the balcony and a gap under their door. In walking around the property we noticed a great deal of dirty glass, ledges in the breakfast area that had debris on them and peeling wallpaper. With all of the newer properties in Rehoboth especially the freshly renovated Comfort Inn just two blocks up, there is no reason to choose this location. As I told the gal at the desk when I called about the room, I am a Choice Privileges member and first thing Monday I will be on the phone filing a complaint with the company!

Room Tip: Hope they renovate!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

Ceiling is falling down, doors don't close, smells terrible. Asked for different room, wouldn't give us one. Terrible customer service. Lights don't work. Do yourself a favor, stay somewhere else. Dirty. Hotel is terrible.

• Stayed September 2013
York, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I recently stayed here with my family (and a friend traveled with us) and I have mixed reviews. The staff was exceptionally nice, however, the room that we stayed in was pretty awful. I booked through Priceline and did not have the option of choosing my room. We ended up with a double bed room on the first floor on the "old" (right) side of the hotel. Our room had mildew stains on the wall where the A/C unit was located (not good for allergy and asthma sufferers like me), it was so damp smelling/hard to breathe that I actually went to Wal-Mart at 10:00 p.m. the first night and bought a giant container of "Damp Rid" to put in our room, the A/C was either freezing cold (and less damp smelling) or hot and moist, there were flies in the room upon arriving, uncomfortable beds, there were stains on the walls in the bathroom (glad I brought my Lysol wipes), room/fixtures/furniture/linens were outdated, there was paint chipping off the bathroom cabinet areas, and there was a poor selection of breakfast foods, -- high starch/fatty foods w/no healthy options such as fruit/yogurt. HOWEVER, I must add that our friend who stayed in the "newer" (left) side of the hotel in a suite had a much better experience. I saw first hand that that particular room was MUCH nicer than ours and did not have any of the issues we had. It was like we were standing in a completely different motel! I should add that staff did offer to upgrade our room to a suite, but it would've been approximately an extra $200 to do so for 3 nights, which I declined due to cost. So, while the experience with staff and location of the hotel was great, I would not stay here again on this particular side of the motel. I would stay here again, but only in one of their "suites" and would NOT book through Priceline again!

Room Tip: Book a room in the "newer" (left) side of the hotel. Avoid the "old" (right) si...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Davenport, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

cost the most money for a night stay on our two week vacation what a dump. do not check in after dark. big bugs in room. I have been member of choice hotels for many years but this is one of my worst stays ever.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Lebanon, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

My son-in-law and I went down the shore for the weekend after he had a bad week. We left for Ocean City Maryland and try to get a room to stay for one night and could night find one and when we did find one it was $289 or better and had to be for two nights. We drove up to Rehoboth looking for a place to stay as we dove up on route1 and came up to this Econo lodge.The person behind the desk was very nice and said the room was $213 for one night. At this point we were exhausted and took it. It was on the second floor but it had an elevator. The room had everything we needed to include,coffe pot with coffee and more and a fridge. Free wifi and cable tv. The pool excellent and clean..Great place to stay.
PS: Crackerbarrle next door

Room Tip: If you like the Casino, Dover Downs Casinos 40mins north on one--Ocean City Maryland 40mins south on...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I looked around for prices of hotels and places in the surrounding area. This was the cheapest hotel that accepted my AAA discount. Most beach hotels run anywhere from $130 and up per night. It wasn't anything spectacular but it had a pool, was close to the beach, had baby squirrels running around, and a continental breakfast. Good enough for me!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Wilmington, Delaware
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

If your a non smoker don't even try to stay here. If you ask to change your room they will go out of their way NOT TO! Staff was very ignorant. Asked to speak to manager and received a snippy reply of not available. Will never stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Econo Lodge Resort? Share your experiences!