“Dorm style accomodations” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 29 hotels in Rehoboth Beach
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
“Dorm style accomodations”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I was very nervous after reading the posts about the Econo Lodge. Sadly to say, we did see a couple of things that will probably keep me from booking here again. Obviously, when you book accommodations at "econo" anything, you know that you are taking chances. This hotel room is dorm room living at best.

I think it was a smoking room at one point because it has this other odor to cover up a previous odor. We have two queen mattresses and one resembles more of a bowl shape than a flat mattress. We did see two pretty big spiders (one inside, one outside) and I just killed a small roach in our bathroom. Of course, this means that we have to inspect EVERY nook and cranny of our luggage before we bring it back to the car - an extra 20 minutes I was NOT planning on. The linens, furniture, bathroom fixtures and pretty much everything in here is absolutely not top quality, rather old/dated/worn. There are severe gaps and cracks along moulding, doorways, etc., which would explain how the bugs are getting in. There is a decent gap in the corner of our hotel room door which allowed enough rain in (we had a nasty storm) which dampened the rug.

If you are looking for a place to just throw beach towels and crash while you enjoy the beach, then this is a decent place for the money (hence "econo"). The staff is helpful, the pool is clean, plenty of decent TV channels, and it's very conveniently located to shopping, outlets, big box, grocery, restaurants, etc. The continental breakfast will give you a decent cup of coffee and philly cream cheese on your bagel. If you are looking for top notch cleanliness, updated amenities, or 100% bug free living (it is summer you know), this is not the place for you.

It's a dorm room, not a hotel accommodation.

Room Tip: Don't go near pool, try to be on second or third floor, and bring bug spray and Febreze.

122 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

My husband and I spent two nights at this location, and although the room was clean and the location was decent, this hotel was by far no resort. The staff seemed annoyed by the patrons, and were only helpful if you caught them at the right moment. The indoor hallways had a funky odor and was thankful our room was an exterior room. The continental "breakfast" was sub-par and nowhere near filling. If you can afford to stay at a different location it will be worth the extra penny, though I am sure there are worse hotels in the area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I booked this hotel on priceline and was nervous after reading the reviews on here.....I can't believe these reviews are about the hotel I stayed in, they must be about a different Econo Lodge in the area because are room was super clean (stayed in room 306). The staff were friendly and helpful (exchanged my 10 bill for a roll of quarters so I could have change for the meter). The pool was really nice and clean, the continental breakfast was one of the best I've ever seen (muffins, doughnuts, bagels, 2 types of cereal, juice, ect) and if you don't like the breakfast they have you can walk to the parking lot to the Cracker Barrel located right in front of the hotel (they share a parking lot...yeah, that close). Best of all it was only a 10/15 min drive to the beach/main boardwalk....right near the outlets and it was fairly cheap to stay there compared to the surrounding hotels! Econo Lodges are budget hotels...not meant to be a Luxury hotel, these people must have been expecting a fancy hotel...sad to see such a nice hotel have such bad reviews. I will def stay here again! - Stayed here on a family vacay with my 4yr old.

Room Tip: stayed on the 3rd floor pool side
Manchester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Check in was brusk at best. Nothing to brag about. I was asked if I wanted firsty or second floor. Took first floor. That was a mistake. Got a room right in front of the pool. Foot traffic was heavy creating a real lack of privacy. The room was clean but frankly needs some help. There is a table frankly that isn't big enough to accomondate my laptop and a file. Wok in the room is difficult. Coffee pot is on the vanity but you need to move ti to get to a plug. Vanity had stains on it. Wake up calls just did not happen. This could be a nice place. Room had cracks in the wall, plugs with broken covers. Bring kids, take a look first. Plenty of shopping nearby. Close to beaches. Ester park up the road and golf near by. Not alot going for this place. Tried it once not sure if I;ll go back.

Room Tip: Try and stay away from the first floor or the other floors that border the pool. Ask for one with a...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Reading, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

If you are not with a baseball team traveling on a weekend this place is not for you. We stayed here with our baseball team, and it is a complete dump. It is robbery what they charge for a room, and what they give in return. Hotel is very dirty, and the front desk staff who has absolutely no concern of your needs. We spent two nights without seeing a housekeeper on our floor. My wife called and asked for towels and they said to come to the front desk to get them. When she went down to the desk they said they were out of towels!!! Are you kidding me!! I will not return and I suggest you do the same.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We booked this hotel on Orbitz after we it proved too windy to camp as we had planned at Cape Henlopen state park. We requested a nonsmoking room on Orbitz. Upon arrival, they offered us only a smoking room, which smelled like someone chain smoked 10 packs a day for the last decade. It was nasty. We had a small child with us and I am pregnant; despite these facts and despite the fact that the hotel was not full, they refused to change us to a nonsmoking room. They said that they would give us the NS room if we paid for that room ($200/night) on top of the $140 we already paid on Orbitz. Orbitz called them 2X to intercede on our behalf. But nothing worked. HIghly recommend against this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We needed a hotel for an overnight stay, while we visited friends in the area. We used our choice hotel points, because this was 8000 less points than the other choice hotels in the area. As other reviews have said, you get what you pay for. The only way I would stay at this hotel again, is if it was the lowest price in town and I could not afford anything else. For a chain hotel, it is quite dingy. It looks like a place for partiers and those who don't care about trashing a room. We only had one outlet (2 plugs) for the coffee maker, fridge, TV and microwave. We had to keep two of these unplugged. Also, there was not alarm clock in the room. The front office staff was nice, the breakfast area was clean, if a bit small for the number of rooms this place has. Unless you do not have the economic means to go to a higher priced hotel, then avoid this place.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Econo Lodge Resort? Share your experiences!