“Terrific Service” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 29 hotels in Rehoboth Beach
Middletown, Delaware, United States
“Terrific Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

We booked fourteen rooms at the hotel for two nights of accomodations for our daughter's wedding. We all received excellent service over the two days. The staff quickly assisted us with unexpected needs from setting up a table in our room for a buffet for the pre-wedding lunch to providing an extension cord and surge protector for the hairdresser at the last minute. We found the entire staff to be friendly and they were always willing to help in any way, whether it was making parking room for the limo, quickly bringing extra towels, or any other last minute request. The rooms were clean and comfortable with coffee makers, a small refrigerator, a microwave, and a safe. There was a nice continental breakfast, and the beach was a block away. We will definitely make this hotel our "home away from home" whenever we visit Dewey Beach!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

171 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
hotels234
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Clean, comfortable, excellent service and prices. Safe garage parking. What else would you need in a Dewey Hotel.

One negative: I could have been a bit cleaner upon checkin, but I blame that type of crowd (partying kids) Dewey attracts.

Would stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Alexandria, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Accepted handicapped-accessible room pushed on us -- Big mistake. That meant no counter around a small sloping porcelain sink and nowhere to put stuff. Shower consisted of a hanging spray nozzle and water ran out all over the bathroom floor. I'm a wiser traveler now for the lesson on reservations.

Horrifying: lots of sand in the bed. Obviously had not changed the sheets from the last guest. Corrected promptly, however. How many others slept on unchanged sheets where there wasn't tell-tale sand?

Minor annoyances: Coffee not replaced after first day, kleenex not replaced in bathroom. But boy, that tips envelope is stood up very prominently with each cleaning.

Acted like it would be a pain to give me a bill at checkout. I've been spoiled by hotels that just slip it under the door at night. I said "mail it," never got one.

All that said, I'd stay there again, wiser about handicapped rooms, stand ground on invoice. Convenient, clean, easy parking, quiet, friendly staff.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
new castle, Delaware, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I had an ok stay that the Best Western (BW). The staff was friendly, rooms were clean, the rates were decent, and it was walking distance from the beach, dining, and bars. The parking garage was very limited and tight but it was nice to have easy access to your room from the garage (if you were able to find a spot on your room’s level). The fitness center (FC) seems well equipped with the basics. One of the reasons I chose this hotel was because of the onsite FC. However, I forgot to pack my workout gear so I didn’t get to utilize the facility but I did stop in. As a runner, the treadmills were a little small for me but all the basic equipment (bike, treadmill, weights) was available for someone that wanted a quick workout. Overall the stay satisfied our goal (a quick, inexpensive getaway for me and the hubby).
However, the nightmare began after we checked out of the hotel. When we returned home our bank account had been depleted due to numerous charges from best western in error. The balance due at the time of check-in for our stay was $220 which we paid with a debt card. At the time of check-out, we were charged an additional nights stay of $115, a $200 hold was applied to our account for a parking decal (that was returned at check out), and $331.96 for the entire days stay. With all the inaccurate charges applied, we also assessed $170 in banking fees.
Though the hotel was “kind” enough to make all the necessary corrections and issue a refund for some of the fees we incurred, they did not cover all of them. Because of Best Western’s error we are out of $70, and we are currently awaiting the additional $485 of our money to be returned which was indicated by BW that it could take up to 7-10 business days.
Outside of the inconvenience, the General Manager refused to discuss this issue with me letting his onsite staff handle the matter. Per his staff, he indicated that even though BW has imposed a major hardship on me and my family right now, they will no longer make any more accommodations (returning the money we lost because of their error) for us. In the meantime, BW has lost our business and recommendations. I’d advise if you don’t plan on lending your money to BW Gold Leaf DON’T STAY HERE.
I plan to seek legal counsel to recover my $70.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Bridgewater, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Pros: Clean, convenient to beach, outdoor pool, free breakfast, friendly desk staff, very close to Rehoboth
Cons: Very crowded and cramped parking garage (parking is free so that's a plus), loud college kids and groups of bachelor/bachelorette parties on weekends

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Akron, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

We were very concerned by the negative reviews we read here, but it was only going to be one night, so what the hey.... Well, it started with the desk staff, who were cheerful and VERY nice. I overheard the staff tell one guest that the hotel had been gutted 2 years earlier. Our room was spacious, and looked nice and was clean. The beds were comfortable, sheets clean. The water was hot and the towels were clean and dried us off [they are 2 star level towels]. The beach was convenient. The breakfast was better than we expected; and yes we like making the waffles. There was indoor parking, with steep ramps. Highly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I stayed here with some college friends for a weekend. It's the cleanest hotel in Dewey and the best value compared to the other shanty motel options. It's a block from the beach, walking distance to all the bars, and a short drive to Reheboth. Pool area is small. Breakfast was mediocre but it was nice to have the ability to grab a coffee and yogurt in the AM.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to BEST WESTERN Gold Leaf? Share your experiences!