“Plan ahead and you will find much better value than this place” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Printz Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Printz Motel
Save Saved
You added Printz Motel to your Saves list
164 Columbia Avenue, Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971   |
Ranked #27 of 28 Hotels in Rehoboth Beach
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Plan ahead and you will find much better value than this place”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Ok...so I didn't read ahead before booking this place, and honestly, not sure if I would have been swayed either way. Hopefully this review will provide some honest and usable information if you are considering a rental in Rehoboth, so here goes:

Price: The price for Rehoboth (which on a Labor Day weekend, with a 3-night minimum can set you back upwards of $300 a night) is very reasonable, BUT as the old adage goes, you sort of get what you pay for...more on that later. I paid $432 (including tax) for Thurs-Sat stay. Not bad for Rehoboth, BUT...

Cons: Now, this is the compromise that I mentioned above regarding the price, and that is the place is really a dump. It's relatively clean, which is shocking given how old and dilapidated it is, but my teenage boys were a bit taken aback when we arrived. To give you an idea how old things are, our TV didn't even have connections in the back to attach their Wii video game (!). The kitchenette was extremely sparse and barely had the basics with which to cook. The AC unit in the wall was dirty and when we first walked in the room, while it was cool, it smelled like wet towels. The sheets were so threadbare, that it was almost like sleeping on a bare mattress. The furniture looks worse than items I've seen in a Goodwill store...falling apart and mismatched. The bathroom was pink tile that was aging quite badly, with grout that was crumbling and permanently stained black. We ran the microwave our first night (the AC unit wasn't even on) and the fuse blew...we had to move the fridge and microwave to a different outlet. When I mentioned to the onsite manager, she said something about running all of the AC units and they were all on one fuse..I mentioned the TV and she replied that the owner is very "tight" and won't upgrade/update the place. That aside, outside there were empty and cracked flower pots, and it was just generally really unkept looking. I'm not sure if it is indifference or ignorance...either case, really a shame because it could probably be a decent place. Right now, it's really not. Another negative was the noise from the traffic, which was pretty loud during the day, but not disturbing to the point that I couldn't sleep at night.

Pros: (kind of a stretch, but trying to find the bright side...) In all fairness, there were some bright spots about the place: There IS a place to cook, with a full stove and oven, coffee pot and a newer mini fridge. Saved me a few bucks doing that instead of eating out. The location is also accessible to the main drag, and it was about 6 blocks to the beach, which wasn't too bad. There was also a free WiFi connection that worked very well (am using it now to type this review). The Royal Farms next door was convenient.

Summary: If you need a quick, cheap place to stay with older kids who will sleep in til noon anyway and just head to the beach all night, come back and crash or watch movies/play games on the computer (be sure to bring...no DVD or modern TV in this place...there isn't even a phone in the room), then this would probably work. After the initial shock wore off, my boys were ok...BUT, I did promise them that next time I would plan ahead and try to stay at the Avenue off the boardwalk, which most reviews point to as being one of the best, or I'd find a better motel/seasonal rental. Which, brings me to the point I'm trying to make: For a last-minute, quick Labor Day weekend, this place served its purpose. Don't expect any more out of it than that. Best advice is that I would strongly urge you plan ahead and try to stay somewhere else a little more in touch with the 21st century which will provide at least the basics for this amount of money.

Room Tip: None are any better than the rest...all looked equally bad.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Printzmotelde, Manager at Printz Motel, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
We do offer reasonable prices for an in town motel. We are not an extravagant motel, but
it is clean, for which we pride ourselves on. It is an older motel, and if you are looking for brand new, state of the art, our motel is not for you. We offer a nice location, only 6 blocks from the beach, which is even a nice walk in the right circumstances. We offer FREE off-street parking for one car per room.

We do have older TVs and honestly we are not planning on getting newer ones. This is an
older mom and pop motel from the 60's, which harkens back to the days when we were not so
focused on TV and video games and more focused on family and friends and enjoying what
this quaint beach town has to offer. Some motels don't have TVs at all precisely to give guests a break from the everyday. We encourage guests to make the most of their time here. There is so much to do. We have one of the cleanest beaches around. We have a great boardwalk dotted with the traditional beach fare and some souvenir shops to bring some gifts home to those family and friends who are jealous that you got to spend a great time in our quaint beach town. Even better, have them come with you next time!

The furniture is definitely older, but is not "falling apart", it is in good condition. Again, we never claim to be extravagant, if that is what you are looking for, we are not for you. We are an a reasonably priced mom and pop motel IN TOWN Rehoboth. So, no traveling up and down the Coastal Highway, fighting with the often very heavy summer traffic. We have free off street parking for one car per room and are walking distance to everything Rehoboth has to offer, be it our fantastic beach, boardwalk, restaurants or fun nightlife. We offer a great value, so you have more cash in your pocket to enjoy the restaurants, numerous activities, boardwalk, and tax free shopping.

We are a clean place to lay your head at night, and then during the day, get out and enjoy
our great beaches, tax free shopping, and varied nightlife and restaurants all within
walking distance. Or make your way up the highway to enjoy shopping at our tax free
Outlets.

Our kitchens do have basic cooking supplies. You are more than welcome to bring a few of
your favorite items from home, if you would like. It is not a gourmet kitchen, but one to
make simple meals if you choose to. But, it does have a stove and oven, plus microwave
and coffee pot, which is it very rare to find a motel or hotel in town Rehoboth that has a
stove and oven.

We do also have free wifi and free off street parking for one car per room. I have had many guests stay in this same room as the guest posting this review, and have NEVER had any problems with fuses blowing. The situation was remedied. For the inconvenience of this issue, I offered this guest a late checkout of several hours past the regular checkout time, which was not mentioned in her review.

We do have a Royal Farms convenience store about 1/2 block away, which many guests
appreciate. For those wishing to stay for a longer period of time, there is also laundry
facilities right next to the Royal Farms convenience store.

We are located on Columbia Avenue which is one of two roads that go from the entrance of
the town directly to the beach block, so it can sometimes be crowded during the peak
season during the day. However, the walls of each motel room are VERY thick and really
block a LOT of sound. You definitely won't hear your next door neighbor sneeze.

I would like to say, that this guest did not even see any other the other rooms, so I am
not sure how there was room to comment about them. We are an older, built in the 1960's
mom and pop motel, and we are not planning on putting phones in the rooms, or TVs which
are adaptable for playing video games. We offer the guest to get back to basics and spend
time at the beach outside, free from the distractions of the televisions and games.

There is so much to do here, be it going to our award winning beach, our mile long
boardwalk to stroll on during the day or night, to enjoy the free concerts at the
bandstand in season, to tempt your taste buds at the multitude of restaurants in this
quaint town, or enjoy our tax free shopping in town, or even at the Outlets. There are
water parks, a small amusement park, miniature golf courses, miles of walking and bicycle
trails, fishing excursions, musical venues, a movie theater, plenty of places to fly
kites for the little, and not so little, kids on windy days. You can dolphin watch at the
beach, and there are often dolphins to see, if you keep an eye out.

With so much to experience, we only play a small role in your adventure here at the beach. A place to lay your head at night. So, come enjoy all of what Rehoboth Beach has to offer, while staying at our reasonably priced mom and pop motel in town here at the beach! Looking forward to seeing you here at the beach!

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Quinby, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

Just had to write this review and tell about the wonderful experience I had staying in this motel.
My friend and I stayed at the Printz motel for a month while waiting on our house to be ready for move in and I must say that the manager Kimberly made staying there a pleasure. The rooms were clean and neat and at a price one can afford. With the small kitchenette we saved a lot of money being able to cook our own meals. This quaint little motel is close to shopping and just a short walk to the beach. I highly recommend this motel if you are looking for clean affordable rooms, a nice friendly person to do business with, and a manager that cares about her renters. Our stay here was a pleasure. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Printzmotelde, Manager at Printz Motel, responded to this review, April 17, 2012
It was an absolute pleasure having you both here. I am glad your house finally became available. But, if for any reason, you need to come back to the motel, you are always most welcome!
Hockessin, Delaware, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

If you are need a place to stay last minute, and just need a bed, bathroom facilities and a small kitchenette, then this is the place for you. They will more than likely have availability.

If, however, they offer seasonal rentals, I would not suggest this place, unless you are a hermit and prefer to stay to yourself. We stayed for the summer of 2011, and the price seemed fair though we would only be there on the weekends.

We had problems from the start from the manager, who must have 911 on speed dial, finally resulting in her having me arrested for something I did not do, just in an effort to have us removed from the property, with one month to go on the rental. Out of 5 rooms rented as seasonal rentals only one party made it to the end without eviction. In my case, we went to trial, and the magic tape of me committing a crime was never produced in discovery until the day of the trial. The charges were dismissed when everyone viewed the tape and found it inconclusive. We intend to sue them for our last months rent, the cost of having to stay somewhere else Labor Day weekend. and court costs. Perhaps then the owners of this establishment will get the clue that the paranoid nature of the manager is prohibiting them from ever making a success of their establishment at the beach.

There are much nicer places to stay, with better facilities and ammenities, for just a few dollars more. Plan ahead & stay somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Printzmotelde, Manager at Printz Motel, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
We have a nice location in town, that is slightly off the beaten path. Yes
most people don't know about us, so we may very well have availability for
when you would like to book your vacation. Even this guest mentioned that
they had been to Rehoboth often, but had no idea we were here. We have had
guests stay here who have lived in the area for years, and also did not know
we were here. So, we do appreciate when guests do find us.

We are a small basic mom and pop motel, where we never claim to be
extravagent, but we do have good basic facilities for those travellers who
would appreciate being IN TOWN Rehoboth, only 6 blocks to the ocean, yet be
far away enough from the noisier locations closer to the beach. We are a
good value for the budget conscious traveler, and in these tough economic
times, we are proud to offer a great location in town, for reasonable
prices.

We do have kitchenettes in all our rooms which have a stove- oven, which is
very rare to find in other motels in town. It also has a microwave and
small refrigerator-freezer and some basic dishes. We also offer FREE wifi and FREE off street parking for one car per room.

The majority of our guests are very pleasant and enjoy their experience
here, but don't necessarily write about it on Trip Advisor. I have received
numerous handwritten thank you notes from our guests, which we greatly
appreciate.

Because we like for our guests to feel appreciated, I bought a thank you
present that was placed in this guests' room
on arrival for their seasonal rental in 2011. They showed their
appreciation by smashing them and putting them in the trash can.

This guest was so problematic during his stay, causing property damage
several times, and threatening the manager, that it became necessary to
have him removed from the property. They constantly bothered other guests,
whom I received complaints about them from, who were only here for a
pleasant weekend stay, and had to deal with their antics. This person made
the summer unpleasant for many people.

At no time were there restrictions on guests enjoying themselves, as long as
they do not interfere with other guests and neighbors ability to enjoy a pleasant time also. We do not tolerate someone who commits property damage, and causes other people to have an unpleasant time here. We would never rent to such people again.

And the reason is because everyone wants to have a nice time on vacation,
and do not deserve to deal with problematic guests staying in such close
proximity to them. We want to ensure our guests have a nice time. To be
able to enjoy sitting on the beach, walking on the boardwalk, going out to
eat, enjoying the many activities that this beautiful area has to offer, and
then come back to their home away from home, and be able to relax in peace.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

We found a listing on Craigslist for this Motel. I called to find out if they still had availbility for the week prior to Labor Day and up to and including the Tuesday following Labor Day. When asked how many people were in my party, I explained that my significant other (the woman I have been with for 12 years) and myself would be the only ones staying. I was told that they were booked, which I found odd in comparison to the ad. We instead got accomidations at The Sand Castle, which is in the heart of Rehoboth for just a few dollars more (using our AARP card). While riding our bikes around town, we rode by The Printz and there was a sign out every day saying there were rooms available. On the Wednesday prior to Labor Day, we decided we stopped to see if there were rooms availble just for the fun of it. There were two available for the previous week and and beyond Labor Day. We were shown room 3, and it was dark, dingy with furniture that was updated somewhere around 1970. There was a moldy damp smell to the room. We had read an earlier posting about a bucket of dog feces, and that was right there in the back of the property. We laughed hysterically and just had to take a picture of it.

I could be wrong, but I think that the owner must have thought when I said "significant other", she may have thought I was part of a gay couple, which we found out this week (our first trip to Rehoboth) might be a common perception. After 12 years, and being in our 50's calling the woman you are in love with your girlfriend seems ridiculous.

If you are destitute and need a no frills vacation, I might recommend this place, but do be sure to explain you are straight. Otherwise, do go to Rehoboth - but knock out discrimination and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Printzmotelde, Manager at Printz Motel, responded to this review, September 13, 2011
We would like to clear up some complete misinformation that is posted in this review. We welcome ALL guests here, as we have in the past, and will continue to do so in the future.

First, as far as discrimination against people mentioned in the review, nothing could be further from the truth.

In fact, I have personally hung up/ handed out flyers for the motel specifically in businesses specializing in gay clientele, and have proof of this. I personally have even worked at a business catering to gay clientele in the past as well. So, this kind of speculation is completely false and grossly unfounded. We welcome all people here at the motel, and have in the past, and will continue to do so in the future.

As a side note, what we do not tolerate, from anyone, is vandalism to the motel property.

We did not say we were booked for Labor Day, because we were not. There would be no advantage at all for that to have been said. Since we are tucked away in a quiet, mostly residential area of town, and many people have no idea we are here, we appreciate all the business that we do get.

The review has claimed they stopped by on the Wednesday before Labor Day, which was August 31st. The sole employee had some errands to run that day off-site and was not at the motel for most of the day. So, therefore, no rooms were shown to anyone that day.

The motel is an older motel, however, there is not a "moldy" smell in the rooms. The furniture is older but is in good condition. This is an old mom and pop basic motel in great location here at the beach.

The picture of the dog pale is the same exact picture that was taken by another guest.

We do have a dog pale behind the motel to be responsible people, due to the fact that many people who live/ stay in the surrounding area walk their dogs on motel property on a regular basis. We keep the dog pale there so that if those people do not have a doggie bag to pick up after their dog, they can use the pale, rather than leaving doggie doo on the lawn.

In summary, we have always welcomed ALL guests, and will continue to do so. We only ask that people that stay here be respectful of the property and refrain from causing damage to the property. We do not tolerate that, nor would most other businesses.

We offer our guests a great location, in downtown Rehoboth beach, where we are in a quieter part of town, but still within walking distance to the beach, boardwalk, and nightlife of downtown Rehoboth Beach. We do not claim to be a five star hotel. We are a basic, clean motel, that is a good value for those that like to experience staying at our little mom and pop motel here in downtown Rehoboth Beach. We hope to see you all here at the beach! Thanks for reading!
Wilmington, Delaware, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

The motel is very clean. The rooms are spacious and have a retro feel. A great value for the price.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
I am glad that you found the motel to be a great value for your vacation dollars. We have gotten a lot of compliments on the retro pieces of furniture, and even a few people that wanted to know where they could get the same chairs for their own home!
Wilmington, Delaware
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

Dirty , Moldy , Filthy . Over priced . Very Very Very Bad managment . Broken sign . Two season rentals . Other then that it sits empty . People thrown out for no "good reason "
Dogs feces in a bucket sitting near the managers front door , whats up with that . The manager herself told us the other Printz motel in Wilmington you can rent by the hour . What does that say about the owners ?

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Printzmotelde, Manager at Printz Motel, responded to this review, September 3, 2011
First, I do not have a dog pail in front of the office. I do have one behind the motel as there are many people that walk their dogs on motel property, and as a responsible person, I leave it there, not only for my pet, but, also for the people in the community that walk their dogs behind the motel.
Second, I did not tell this guest that the other motel rents for less than a day. In fact, the only time I spoke to her was to ask her if she needed housekeeping, which she declined.
I don't see how she could say the management is "very very very" bad, when the only interaction with her was to ask if she needed housekeeping. She had never expressed any kind of concern with her room, let alone what is claimed in the review, and was only here for a weekend. I also did not speak to her about other guests and why they left. And, the posting regarding that is false. There were one group of students that had to leave because of damage committed to motel property. The sign is broken, and I have made the owner aware of it. I am not sure why a broken sign affected the stay at the motel. The rooms are not filthy by any means. At least 2 hours+ is spent cleaning a room just after a weekend stay, many hours longer if the guest has been there for more than a weekend.

We have had many happy guests, and rooms have not sat vacant all summer. I don't know how someone who was only here one weekend would have any knowledge of our vacancy for the whole summer. That is why I strongly suspect this review was not even written by this guest, but by another guest that has been here for the season, as they had spoken to each other while here.

We take pride in the cleanliness of our rooms, and having happy guests. If there is ever a problem with a room for any reason, I would hope to be made aware of it so as to resolve it as soon as possible. We have a great location far enough from the crowds to be a quiet place to relax when you reach the end of your day. We look forward to having many more guests in the years to come. We ask that you come and see for yourself our little mom and pop motel. It is an older place, but clean and reasonable for being inside town limits. We hope to see you here at the beach! Thanks all! Have a great day!
dc - spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2008

I want to thank the owners of Printz Motel, Amy and her daughter. My boyfriend and I spent there a weekend in July. It is just what you expect from a Motel. Nice size rooms, fridge, microwave, brown carpet, flowered bed cover, but very clean and very friendly people. This was a last minute booking when everything else seemed already booked or extremely overpriced. We paid $100 for the room and we were extremely happy to find it. Of course is not a romantic cozy bed and breakfast, but you know that just with the name – motel, basic accommodation. It is walking distance form the beach, about 25 min, and even closer to some restaurants, and in a nice neighborhood. The walk is great after dinner. Very quiet. Parking is not as problem and it is easy to find.

• Liked — the value, great price
  • Disliked — motel style rooms, basic and not a lot of light
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Printz Motel? Share your experiences!