“A Great Place to Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Printz Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Printz Motel
164 Columbia Avenue, Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971   |
Ranked #27 of 29 hotels in Rehoboth Beach
Quinby, Virginia, United States
“A Great Place to Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

Just had to write this review and tell about the wonderful experience I had staying in this motel.
My friend and I stayed at the Printz motel for a month while waiting on our house to be ready for move in and I must say that the manager Kimberly made staying there a pleasure. The rooms were clean and neat and at a price one can afford. With the small kitchenette we saved a lot of money being able to cook our own meals. This quaint little motel is close to shopping and just a short walk to the beach. I highly recommend this motel if you are looking for clean affordable rooms, a nice friendly person to do business with, and a manager that cares about her renters. Our stay here was a pleasure. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Printzmotelde, Manager at Printz Motel, responded to this review, April 17, 2012
It was an absolute pleasure having you both here. I am glad your house finally became available. But, if for any reason, you need to come back to the motel, you are always most welcome!

10 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Hockessin, Delaware, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

If you are need a place to stay last minute, and just need a bed, bathroom facilities and a small kitchenette, then this is the place for you. They will more than likely have availability.

If, however, they offer seasonal rentals, I would not suggest this place, unless you are a hermit and prefer to stay to yourself. We stayed for the summer of 2011, and the price seemed fair though we would only be there on the weekends.

We had problems from the start from the manager, who must have 911 on speed dial, finally resulting in her having me arrested for something I did not do, just in an effort to have us removed from the property, with one month to go on the rental. Out of 5 rooms rented as seasonal rentals only one party made it to the end without eviction. In my case, we went to trial, and the magic tape of me committing a crime was never produced in discovery until the day of the trial. The charges were dismissed when everyone viewed the tape and found it inconclusive. We intend to sue them for our last months rent, the cost of having to stay somewhere else Labor Day weekend. and court costs. Perhaps then the owners of this establishment will get the clue that the paranoid nature of the manager is prohibiting them from ever making a success of their establishment at the beach.

There are much nicer places to stay, with better facilities and ammenities, for just a few dollars more. Plan ahead & stay somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Printzmotelde, Manager at Printz Motel, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
We have a nice location in town, that is slightly off the beaten path. Yes
most people don't know about us, so we may very well have availability for
when you would like to book your vacation. Even this guest mentioned that
they had been to Rehoboth often, but had no idea we were here. We have had
guests stay here who have lived in the area for years, and also did not know
we were here. So, we do appreciate when guests do find us.

We are a small basic mom and pop motel, where we never claim to be
extravagent, but we do have good basic facilities for those travellers who
would appreciate being IN TOWN Rehoboth, only 6 blocks to the ocean, yet be
far away enough from the noisier locations closer to the beach. We are a
good value for the budget conscious traveler, and in these tough economic
times, we are proud to offer a great location in town, for reasonable
prices.

We do have kitchenettes in all our rooms which have a stove- oven, which is
very rare to find in other motels in town. It also has a microwave and
small refrigerator-freezer and some basic dishes. We also offer FREE wifi and FREE off street parking for one car per room.

The majority of our guests are very pleasant and enjoy their experience
here, but don't necessarily write about it on Trip Advisor. I have received
numerous handwritten thank you notes from our guests, which we greatly
appreciate.

Because we like for our guests to feel appreciated, I bought a thank you
present that was placed in this guests' room
on arrival for their seasonal rental in 2011. They showed their
appreciation by smashing them and putting them in the trash can.

This guest was so problematic during his stay, causing property damage
several times, and threatening the manager, that it became necessary to
have him removed from the property. They constantly bothered other guests,
whom I received complaints about them from, who were only here for a
pleasant weekend stay, and had to deal with their antics. This person made
the summer unpleasant for many people.

At no time were there restrictions on guests enjoying themselves, as long as
they do not interfere with other guests and neighbors ability to enjoy a pleasant time also. We do not tolerate someone who commits property damage, and causes other people to have an unpleasant time here. We would never rent to such people again.

And the reason is because everyone wants to have a nice time on vacation,
and do not deserve to deal with problematic guests staying in such close
proximity to them. We want to ensure our guests have a nice time. To be
able to enjoy sitting on the beach, walking on the boardwalk, going out to
eat, enjoying the many activities that this beautiful area has to offer, and
then come back to their home away from home, and be able to relax in peace.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

We found a listing on Craigslist for this Motel. I called to find out if they still had availbility for the week prior to Labor Day and up to and including the Tuesday following Labor Day. When asked how many people were in my party, I explained that my significant other (the woman I have been with for 12 years) and myself would be the only ones staying. I was told that they were booked, which I found odd in comparison to the ad. We instead got accomidations at The Sand Castle, which is in the heart of Rehoboth for just a few dollars more (using our AARP card). While riding our bikes around town, we rode by The Printz and there was a sign out every day saying there were rooms available. On the Wednesday prior to Labor Day, we decided we stopped to see if there were rooms availble just for the fun of it. There were two available for the previous week and and beyond Labor Day. We were shown room 3, and it was dark, dingy with furniture that was updated somewhere around 1970. There was a moldy damp smell to the room. We had read an earlier posting about a bucket of dog feces, and that was right there in the back of the property. We laughed hysterically and just had to take a picture of it.

I could be wrong, but I think that the owner must have thought when I said "significant other", she may have thought I was part of a gay couple, which we found out this week (our first trip to Rehoboth) might be a common perception. After 12 years, and being in our 50's calling the woman you are in love with your girlfriend seems ridiculous.

If you are destitute and need a no frills vacation, I might recommend this place, but do be sure to explain you are straight. Otherwise, do go to Rehoboth - but knock out discrimination and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Printzmotelde, Manager at Printz Motel, responded to this review, September 13, 2011
We would like to clear up some complete misinformation that is posted in this review. We welcome ALL guests here, as we have in the past, and will continue to do so in the future.

First, as far as discrimination against people mentioned in the review, nothing could be further from the truth.

In fact, I have personally hung up/ handed out flyers for the motel specifically in businesses specializing in gay clientele, and have proof of this. I personally have even worked at a business catering to gay clientele in the past as well. So, this kind of speculation is completely false and grossly unfounded. We welcome all people here at the motel, and have in the past, and will continue to do so in the future.

As a side note, what we do not tolerate, from anyone, is vandalism to the motel property.

We did not say we were booked for Labor Day, because we were not. There would be no advantage at all for that to have been said. Since we are tucked away in a quiet, mostly residential area of town, and many people have no idea we are here, we appreciate all the business that we do get.

The review has claimed they stopped by on the Wednesday before Labor Day, which was August 31st. The sole employee had some errands to run that day off-site and was not at the motel for most of the day. So, therefore, no rooms were shown to anyone that day.

The motel is an older motel, however, there is not a "moldy" smell in the rooms. The furniture is older but is in good condition. This is an old mom and pop basic motel in great location here at the beach.

The picture of the dog pale is the same exact picture that was taken by another guest.

We do have a dog pale behind the motel to be responsible people, due to the fact that many people who live/ stay in the surrounding area walk their dogs on motel property on a regular basis. We keep the dog pale there so that if those people do not have a doggie bag to pick up after their dog, they can use the pale, rather than leaving doggie doo on the lawn.

In summary, we have always welcomed ALL guests, and will continue to do so. We only ask that people that stay here be respectful of the property and refrain from causing damage to the property. We do not tolerate that, nor would most other businesses.

We offer our guests a great location, in downtown Rehoboth beach, where we are in a quieter part of town, but still within walking distance to the beach, boardwalk, and nightlife of downtown Rehoboth Beach. We do not claim to be a five star hotel. We are a basic, clean motel, that is a good value for those that like to experience staying at our little mom and pop motel here in downtown Rehoboth Beach. We hope to see you all here at the beach! Thanks for reading!
Wilmington, Delaware, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

The motel is very clean. The rooms are spacious and have a retro feel. A great value for the price.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Printzmotelde, Manager at Printz Motel, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
I am glad that you found the motel to be a great value for your vacation dollars. We have gotten a lot of compliments on the retro pieces of furniture, and even a few people that wanted to know where they could get the same chairs for their own home!
Wilmington, Delaware
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

Dirty , Moldy , Filthy . Over priced . Very Very Very Bad managment . Broken sign . Two season rentals . Other then that it sits empty . People thrown out for no "good reason "
Dogs feces in a bucket sitting near the managers front door , whats up with that . The manager herself told us the other Printz motel in Wilmington you can rent by the hour . What does that say about the owners ?

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Printzmotelde, Manager at Printz Motel, responded to this review, September 3, 2011
First, I do not have a dog pail in front of the office. I do have one behind the motel as there are many people that walk their dogs on motel property, and as a responsible person, I leave it there, not only for my pet, but, also for the people in the community that walk their dogs behind the motel.
Second, I did not tell this guest that the other motel rents for less than a day. In fact, the only time I spoke to her was to ask her if she needed housekeeping, which she declined.
I don't see how she could say the management is "very very very" bad, when the only interaction with her was to ask if she needed housekeeping. She had never expressed any kind of concern with her room, let alone what is claimed in the review, and was only here for a weekend. I also did not speak to her about other guests and why they left. And, the posting regarding that is false. There were one group of students that had to leave because of damage committed to motel property. The sign is broken, and I have made the owner aware of it. I am not sure why a broken sign affected the stay at the motel. The rooms are not filthy by any means. At least 2 hours+ is spent cleaning a room just after a weekend stay, many hours longer if the guest has been there for more than a weekend.

We have had many happy guests, and rooms have not sat vacant all summer. I don't know how someone who was only here one weekend would have any knowledge of our vacancy for the whole summer. That is why I strongly suspect this review was not even written by this guest, but by another guest that has been here for the season, as they had spoken to each other while here.

We take pride in the cleanliness of our rooms, and having happy guests. If there is ever a problem with a room for any reason, I would hope to be made aware of it so as to resolve it as soon as possible. We have a great location far enough from the crowds to be a quiet place to relax when you reach the end of your day. We look forward to having many more guests in the years to come. We ask that you come and see for yourself our little mom and pop motel. It is an older place, but clean and reasonable for being inside town limits. We hope to see you here at the beach! Thanks all! Have a great day!
dc - spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2008

I want to thank the owners of Printz Motel, Amy and her daughter. My boyfriend and I spent there a weekend in July. It is just what you expect from a Motel. Nice size rooms, fridge, microwave, brown carpet, flowered bed cover, but very clean and very friendly people. This was a last minute booking when everything else seemed already booked or extremely overpriced. We paid $100 for the room and we were extremely happy to find it. Of course is not a romantic cozy bed and breakfast, but you know that just with the name – motel, basic accommodation. It is walking distance form the beach, about 25 min, and even closer to some restaurants, and in a nice neighborhood. The walk is great after dinner. Very quiet. Parking is not as problem and it is easy to find.

• Liked — the value, great price
  • Disliked — motel style rooms, basic and not a lot of light
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Essex, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2007

We had booked a stay at the Summer Place Hotel and found it to be filthy. We were trying desperately to find another place to stay during a weekend in Rehoboth, DE which we found quickly was nearly impossible. We called Printz Motel and the woman running the motel was just great. The room was very clean. It was more than reasonably priced. The staff was very nice. It's also very close to the main drag in Rehoboth and the beach.
We plan on staying there again.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Printz Motel? Share your experiences!