“Practical and Convinient” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 29 Hotels in Rehoboth Beach
Queens, NY
“Practical and Convinient”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2008

We planned the trip out of the blue, and checked with several hotels but could only find vacancy in this hotel. We wanted a king bed room but they only had a two double beds, which was fine. It was our first time in Rehoboth and we absolutely loved this town. The hotel was clean, efficient and very close to everything. By the way, since we are a gay couple we couldn't have asked for a better place, the gay bars, clubs, and restaurants are down the block and we felt very safe and comfortable. I also have to mention that the staff at the Breakers were very polite and helpful.

• Liked — Great location
  • Disliked — No pool, no internet access
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2008

Breakers is not a modern place, but with such a great location we didn't care. We were within walking distance of all the gay stores and clubs. We had a suite with a kitchenette and a big whirlpool tub/shower. The room had its own balcony with sliding doors, and a small sitting area/living room. It was clean and well-kept with no problems. The kitchen had a microwave, small fridge, sink, coffeemaker, and cabinets. There was a table and chairs, and plenty of lamps. A nice surprise was that there were two tv's. In the tiny living room there's a pull-out queen sleeper, but that would be a chore because you would have to move all the furniture to pull it out! The bedroom had two queen size beds, and a nice closet. There was another big closet in the hallway. We didn't get any breakfast there, and no one mentioned it to us. There is a rooftop pool people seemed to enjoy, but we didn't go up there.

• Liked — great location
  • Disliked — parking lot was tight
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2008

Let's face reality, everything in beach towns is WAY overpriced for what it is...that said, I was quite happy with my stay at The Breakers. Our suite was clean and looked recently (within a year or so) renovated. All promised ammenities were present and working. Parking was ample, which is a necessity in Rehoboth (they have meter attendants on patrol all day and night).

The location was perfect, one block from the main drag (Rehoboth Ave) and two blocks from the beach. We were in walking distance of restaurants, nightlife, and shopping. A definite plus when you don't want to lose your parking spot.

There is no restaurant on site - we were given free breakfasts at a hotel on the boardwalk, the food was decent, but the service there was less than stellar. Lunches and dinners were no problem because of the abundance of options all through town.

If you are expecting a four or five star resort, you won't find it here; what you will find is a property that is quite good for a typical overpriced resort town.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Overpriced - to be expected in this town
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2007

Some friends of mine stayed at this hotel in June of this year. They told me it wasn't the best in the world, but it was inexpensive and clean. I made my reservation in mid-July, knowing how busy it can get in Rehoboth in August. The woman I spoke to while making the reservation was quite snippy. Not so much rude...she just didn't seem to have time for me. I didn't have a good feeling about this.
Once I got to the hotel (after getting lost in all the construction on Route 1) the young man behind the desk was, I would have to say, the most pleasant and well spoken guy I think I've ever had dealings with. I wish I could remember his name, but he had dark hair, a strange little goatee and his ears were pierced (my son noticed this, as he wants his pierced and I keep saying, "No!"). He told me about the breakfast 'buffet' they offer complimentary to their guests-though it was at a different property and the free chairs and umbrellas also available at the boardwalk, smiling and making direct eye contact twith me the entire time.
My friends were right about the place not being the greatest. It has some upkeep issues and the parking is really a tight squeeze, but...all in all, I was actually impressed with the housekeeping service and the customer service from that guy at the front desk. I would definitely stay again.

• Liked — The convenience to the entire beach 'scene'
  • Disliked — The pool really needs updating
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2007

The Good: We booked our stay at the Breakers at the last minute. The Breakers had availability so I took the chance. The good....The room was recently redone which was not expected. It was spotless to say the least and had a nice decor with 2 double beds, new lamps and furnishings. Bathroom was also clean (spotless) but small. The room was on the first floor which was a bit noisy on the outside. Noise was not a problem from within the hotel. The hotel is constructed from cinder blocks which keeps the noise to a minimum. Hotel location was decent…2 blocks from the beach.
Breakfast was fine at the Sands restaurant. Nothing over the top but sufficient. Restaurant was busy due to the Holiday crowd. They did a fine job of clearing the tables for new guests to sit down so they did not have to wait too long. Views from the restaurant were nice. Food was average. Hotel was average to above average for a seaside hotel.

The bad: The day we checked in they gave us no info on what amenities were available. They seemed uninterested in being welcoming if you can understand that term. We found out a day later that they had a surrey to take you to the beach. No coffee was ever available at the hotel even though they had a pantry that got cleaned every day! No food or drinks of any kind was served at the pantry either.

The Ugly: The rooftop Pool. It could have been ideal! The pool had a glass atrium with a separate terraced lounging area and separate workout center.
As we entered the pool area, we passed 2 gentlemen and I asked how the pool was. They answer was “Cold and Dirty”. I went to see for myself….the pool had sand on the bottom and the water was cloudy. No filters were running and debris was floating in the pool. The chairs were dirty with used towels and their were broken sea shells on the floor. The pool area appeared neglected with no towels to be had. Worse was the pool water which was cold (no heat) and no filtration…(a cesspool??). No we did not bathe in this toilet. I asked at the front desk when they checked the pool chemicals last and they did not know. The maintenance guy did not know either. The next day the manager told me that the brominator on the pool was broken. I made the correct decision not to swim in that hole. Management should have closed the pool! On day 2, the sand was cleaned from the bottom of the pool but the water was still murky with not filters running. The screens above the pool need to be removed (broken) The pool could have been excellent if it was in proper working order with a little music playing.

With a little effort this hotel can be a very decent place to stay. No it’s not the four seasons! Management needs to care and the effort needs to be put fourth to have the facilities running properly.
A working pool, coffee and cookies in the lobby ??? would have put this hotel into a different category for the better.

• Liked — Clean Room!
  • Disliked — Nasty Pool.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
East Central Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2007

We booked our room about 2 weeks prior to arrival. Called a few other hotels first but none had vacantcies. The Breakers did so we booked with them. The 2 blocks to the beach and boardwalk, although not a big problem, did restrict us some with a 3 yr old. The free breakfast at the Atlantic Sands was a nice extra. We did 2 out of 4 breakfasts there. For us breakfast is not a big meal and we did not want to wait in line for a seating. Bought some donuts and juice at the Dunkin Donut shop on Rehoboth Ave. The room was adequate, not overly big, somewhat crowded with the furniture. Front desk staff was very good. We stayed for 4 nights, houskeeping did our room on the second day, the next 2 days we said skip servicing the room, gave them our trash and asked for clean towels. All in all I would stay again

Stayed August 2007
West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2007

As a family of five, we found the price and location to be quite reasonable. This was our third summer vacation in Rehoboth (after five or so in Bethany Beach). The Atlantic Inn and Cape Suites were affordable but just not comfortable for our size of family. The BREAKERS WAS SEVERAL STEPS UP IN COMFORT AND HOSPITALITY. The rooms are clean. The amenities: pool, exercise room, shuttle to the beach, weren't fancy but were well-maintained and pleasant. I do wish the ice were more plentiful but a bag of ice isn't a deal-breaker. The staff was always courteous, knowledgable and helpful. There is a play area for children and a lake right next the the hotel, and a short distance away is an even larger playground (behind the visitor's center) and a laundromat. The continental breakfast (yogurt, fruit, bagels, waffels, pastries, juice - no cereal) was a surprisingly satisfying courtesy. Then, I'm not sure why, but during our last two days there, we were given vouchers for a hot breakfast buffet at the Atlantic Seafood Inn, right on the boardwalk (The Breakers' more upscale sister The Sands' restaurant) Naturally, the kids chose cereal.

Stayed June 2007

Been to The Breakers Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!