“Clean and a good value” 4 of 5 stars

The Breakers Hotel & Suites
105 Second Street, Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971   |
Ranked #22 of 29 hotels in Rehoboth Beach
Rockville, Maryland
“Clean and a good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

The Breakers has some nice features that you don't get with all the Rehoboth motels: free breakfast buffet (with eggs, bacon, made-to-order omelettes, fruit, etc. - a $11 value per person per day) and free beach umbrella and chairs (a $20 value per day), and free internet. The rooms are nice and include a fridge and microwave, and the bathrooms are clean and recently updated. And the staff is really nice and helpful. The only negatives that I can think of are: a healthy hike to the beach (10 minute walk?), early morning noise from the recycling station nearby, and noise from the nearby fire station. We wanted to stay past the 11 am check-out without paying for a whole extraq day, and they offered us three options: noon check-out (free), 1 pm check-out (an extra $40), or 6 pm check-out for half the cost of the room (weekday rate, fortunately!). We chose the half-day. It was nice to hae options that met our needs, and we were able to get in a whole beach day and still shower and change in comfort. We will definitely return to The Breakers on future visits to Rehoboth.

Room Tip: They all have a little balcony, but no real view to make to worth spending time out there.

118 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Frederick, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

This hotel has been operating for years...we were quite surprized how nice the rooms were. Small refrigerator and microwave in each room was quite a bonus. Rooms clean and bright. Nice view of lake. Small rooftop pool, but great location. Of course, the price was higher than what we wanted to pay, but it was prime season.

Room Tip: Ask for lake view.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

We decided to stay here because they had reasonably priced two suite rooms. We have a baby and toddler, and wanted to have separate bedrooms for them. The room was clean and quiet. We never heard our neighbors during our stay. The room could be in better shape. There were stains in the carpet, one of our blankets had a hole in it, and tiles in the bathroom had rust stains. The AC was adequate and kept our rooms very cool.

As many reviewers have said, it is a long 2 blocks to the beach. Probably about a 10 minute walk if you're being leisurely. It is a good location near restaurants on Baltimore and Rehoboth Aves. By the hotel, we liked Dos Locos and Arenas for being family friendly, and the food was tasty.

It was inconvenient to have to go to the sister hotel for breakfast. We would pack everything for the beach since the Atlantic Sands is right on the boardwalk. You can get umbrellas and chairs from the Atlantic if you're staying at Breakers, but they had run out of chairs when we came at 10 am on a Saturday. Then on a Sunday, they were out of chairs/umbrellas by 10. The breakfast buffet was ok, It was good enough that we ate there during our stay a few times. There was scrambled eggs, french toast sticks, home fries, biscuits and gravy, omelets to order (which were good), fruit, etc. They charged you $3 for juice or milk, which seemed silly.

We weren't able to do an early check in, but they let us park when we arrived. We were able to do a late check out of noon. The staff was courteous and helpful at both hotels.

Overall, don't expect anything fancy. It did meet our needs though.

Mount Holly, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

The room was clean, quiet, located relatively close to the beach, staff was friendly. The room is definitely dated - older tvs and the beds were not very comfortable. They do have the best pillows and give you plenty of them. Air conditioning was nice and cold. They need new fitted sheets on the beds as they seem to fall off easily exposing the bare mattress (which is kind of yucky when you're in a hotel). But, overall, it was a pleasant stay. I wasn't thrilled about walking two long blocks to their sister hotel for breakfast especially first thing in the morning, but the breakfast itself was decent and there was a very nice selection. There is a balcony, which was nice to have since we are smokers (there is no smoking in the rooms). They don't have a fitness center, but they do have a sister affiliate that will charge you $4 a day, and it's a bit of a walk from the hotel. This is not a five star hotel, but it was reasonably priced and sufficient for what we needed. We would go there again.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor near the corner of the building. It was very quiet where we were.
Christiana, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

This over-night stay was planned last minute while we were in traffic on our way to the beach, so I was unable to shop around like I normally would.

CONS: The room itself was dated. Some scratches in the furniture, one of the lamps had a lightbulb socket that was hanging on by the cord, and the carpet had some minor stains. My biggest issue was with the bedding. They sare still using the old, "taboo" comforters. Also, there was some stains on the underblanket.

PROS: That being said, everything did seem fairly clean... just dated. There was also a balcony which is nice if you smoke. The best thing about this hotel is the location. It is within walking distance to everything. I think we were only 2-3 blocks from the shore. I would stay here again, but I may bring my own blanket it I were staying for any length of time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Rockville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

This is the first time that I write a review because I want everyone to know about my experience at the Breakers Hotel. I was extremely, extremely pleased with this hotel. The room was clean, smelled great, had a balcony that faced the small lake, microwave, fridge and of course TV. For us, a family of 4 it was perfect. The beds were comfortable and each had 5 fluffy pillows (I need a lot of pillows to sleep so I definitely appreciated this surprise). The staff was more than curteous and polite. When I called to make the reservation, I was told check-in was at 4pm but I asked if it would be OK if we parked there when we arrived, they said sure. When we got to the hotel at 10am, I went to ask about parking and they told us that our room was ready, so they let us check-in at 10am! GREAT location, 2 blocks to the beach, yes it is a long two blocks, but the excercise is definitely good for everyone and the great thing is that you do not need to carry chairs or umbrella because they have a sister hotel on the beach and you can use their umbrellas and chairs. The room comes with a free breakfast buffet at the sister hotel and I thought the buffet was great: french toast, bacon, sausage, home fries, eggs, all sorts of breads, pastries and omelets made to order! The hotel also has a small pool on the 5th floor. It is small, but it serves its purpose and the fact that it was indoors was great! I have read other reviews that say the hotel was dirty, that it was noisy, that the staff was rude. Maybe they were just unlucky or maybe I was just lucky, but I was very pleased and will definitely be back later on this summer for a longer stay. At 179 +tax per night, it is much more reasonably priced than many other hotels that are driving distance to the boardwalk. This is not a 5 star hotel so don't expect 5 star quality. It is a beach hotel, priced as such.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

I'm really disappointed. I had to get a room here last minute because of a scheduling conflict at the house that I'm sharing. This is the noisiest hotel that I've ever stayed in, anywhere. Needless to say I didn't get any sleep. Most of the loud talking and slamming of the doors and other noises where caused by hotel staff. But the worst part is that when I shared this with the hotel clerk the following morning, she was apologetic, but really did nothing to make it better. The room itself was fine (for a beach hotel), but don't expect it to be nice. Not even at $173 a night. So... location is great, the rooms are meh.. overpriced, and it's loud as hell all hours in the night and early in the morning when you want to sleep.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Breakers Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!