“Not ritzy, but pleasant” 4 of 5 stars

The Breakers Hotel & Suites
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   105 Second Street, Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971   |
Ranked #20 of 29 Hotels in Rehoboth Beach
Mount Holly, New Jersey
“Not ritzy, but pleasant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

The room was clean, quiet, located relatively close to the beach, staff was friendly. The room is definitely dated - older tvs and the beds were not very comfortable. They do have the best pillows and give you plenty of them. Air conditioning was nice and cold. They need new fitted sheets on the beds as they seem to fall off easily exposing the bare mattress (which is kind of yucky when you're in a hotel). But, overall, it was a pleasant stay. I wasn't thrilled about walking two long blocks to their sister hotel for breakfast especially first thing in the morning, but the breakfast itself was decent and there was a very nice selection. There is a balcony, which was nice to have since we are smokers (there is no smoking in the rooms). They don't have a fitness center, but they do have a sister affiliate that will charge you $4 a day, and it's a bit of a walk from the hotel. This is not a five star hotel, but it was reasonably priced and sufficient for what we needed. We would go there again.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor near the corner of the building. It was very quiet where we were.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Christiana, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

This over-night stay was planned last minute while we were in traffic on our way to the beach, so I was unable to shop around like I normally would.

CONS: The room itself was dated. Some scratches in the furniture, one of the lamps had a lightbulb socket that was hanging on by the cord, and the carpet had some minor stains. My biggest issue was with the bedding. They sare still using the old, "taboo" comforters. Also, there was some stains on the underblanket.

PROS: That being said, everything did seem fairly clean... just dated. There was also a balcony which is nice if you smoke. The best thing about this hotel is the location. It is within walking distance to everything. I think we were only 2-3 blocks from the shore. I would stay here again, but I may bring my own blanket it I were staying for any length of time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Rockville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

This is the first time that I write a review because I want everyone to know about my experience at the Breakers Hotel. I was extremely, extremely pleased with this hotel. The room was clean, smelled great, had a balcony that faced the small lake, microwave, fridge and of course TV. For us, a family of 4 it was perfect. The beds were comfortable and each had 5 fluffy pillows (I need a lot of pillows to sleep so I definitely appreciated this surprise). The staff was more than curteous and polite. When I called to make the reservation, I was told check-in was at 4pm but I asked if it would be OK if we parked there when we arrived, they said sure. When we got to the hotel at 10am, I went to ask about parking and they told us that our room was ready, so they let us check-in at 10am! GREAT location, 2 blocks to the beach, yes it is a long two blocks, but the excercise is definitely good for everyone and the great thing is that you do not need to carry chairs or umbrella because they have a sister hotel on the beach and you can use their umbrellas and chairs. The room comes with a free breakfast buffet at the sister hotel and I thought the buffet was great: french toast, bacon, sausage, home fries, eggs, all sorts of breads, pastries and omelets made to order! The hotel also has a small pool on the 5th floor. It is small, but it serves its purpose and the fact that it was indoors was great! I have read other reviews that say the hotel was dirty, that it was noisy, that the staff was rude. Maybe they were just unlucky or maybe I was just lucky, but I was very pleased and will definitely be back later on this summer for a longer stay. At 179 +tax per night, it is much more reasonably priced than many other hotels that are driving distance to the boardwalk. This is not a 5 star hotel so don't expect 5 star quality. It is a beach hotel, priced as such.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

I'm really disappointed. I had to get a room here last minute because of a scheduling conflict at the house that I'm sharing. This is the noisiest hotel that I've ever stayed in, anywhere. Needless to say I didn't get any sleep. Most of the loud talking and slamming of the doors and other noises where caused by hotel staff. But the worst part is that when I shared this with the hotel clerk the following morning, she was apologetic, but really did nothing to make it better. The room itself was fine (for a beach hotel), but don't expect it to be nice. Not even at $173 a night. So... location is great, the rooms are meh.. overpriced, and it's loud as hell all hours in the night and early in the morning when you want to sleep.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

This the first time I decided to write a review because I am so disappointed. My husband and I stayed at the Breakers a year ago and liked a lot our room with the lake view. So we brought our two kids this year, and given a choice of a pet- friendly room on a ground floor for $244 or a suite, chose a suite, at $284 plus tax, a huge ripoff based on the two night minimum and the fact that the price drops 50 percent midweek. But ok, I was promised a living room, kitchenette, double balcony and a lake view. We walked in, and I immediately realized that I should have stayed at Rodeway inn for half the price. The bedroom of the so called suite did not have a window! The only light was a bedside lamp, just one for the two beds, and it did not provide much light even for unpacking. There wasn't a chair to put the clothes on, and the TV was positioned at a 90 degree angle to the beds, it was impossible to watch it from one of the beds because the room was so narrow.
The living room was separated in two halves with a wide column. One half had a sleep sofa, on which one child slept, another half had two chairs and a small round table, and a kitchenette. When we unfolded the sofa bed, it took the whole half of the room, so that there was no way to walk around it or even sit on it for more than 2 people. The mattress on it was so worn out one could feel every spring and screw. There were no linens for it in the room, no extra pillows, but the housekeeping brought it on request. So the four of us could either sit on 2 chairs near the window, or stay in a dark bedroom. There were only two chairs on the balcony. In all, it was not a suite but a $60 a night dark motel. If we had paid that price, I would not complain, but I felt cheated. Of course, there were no other suites to move us to, but when asked we were told that not all the suites are windowless. In addition, a very good breakfast buffet happened to be on the boardwalk, two very long blocks in a 100 degree heat with a small child, which took us almost 10 minutes to walk, then walk back to change in the swimsuits and take beach gear, and then walk again to the beach. And the only drinks included were water and coffee, juices were $3 extra per person. The only reason we stayed there was because of the great location, but now I think that for $200 at least that we would have saved by staying a bit farther we might have had a better place. So this is not the case of you get what you pay for. I guess it was a very bad luck, so never stay in suite 321.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
West Chester, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

When we arrived there was sand in both beds...lots of it. We stayed in a dog friendly room which are not usually great, but this was a disaster. The outdoor shower was broken so we had a tub full of sand the whoe time and the floors were absolutely filthy. My two small children had black feet within a few minutes of going barefoot. I got a mop from maintenance and mopped the floor myself it was so bad! The water was black right away. The beds are very old and uncomfortable as well. This was my fourth stay here and none were great, but there is little choice with a dog. This will definitely be our last stay!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

First note: It's a very LONG two blocks to the beach - about an eight minute walk if you move fairly quickly. But, that said, the hotel was perfect for our purposes. Clean and spacious and comfortable beds. Our room had two double beds and a pull out couch in the separate living room area, which can be closed off, if you travel with a night owl. Good water pressure in the shower. A refrigerator in the room keeps your ice packs cold for the beach. Free WIFI! Free umbrellas and chairs (and you don't have to carry them the two long blocks, because you pick them up at their sister hotel on the boardwalk)! VERY close to the shopping district - less than a minute's walk. And it's so easy to find your hotel on the way back, because it's right next to the big water tower. Oh... and the "water view" is particularly hilarious - you see a small corner of Lake Gerar.

Room Tip: I'd choose the north side of the hotel - nicer view.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Breakers Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!