“Inside--it's a knockout!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 29 hotels in Rehoboth Beach
Newark, DE
“Inside--it's a knockout!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

From the outside, The Breakers looks like your typical beach motel: with rooms lined up along dingy concrete outdoor corridors that face onto the parking lot. So we weren't prepared for how pleasant, comfortable, and well-appointed the rooms were. We stayed in a suite, which gave us a sitting room with its own sofa, table, chairs, and tv, plus separate bedroom (with doors that closed) with a king bed, dresser, night stands, desk and chair, and a second tv. Each room had its own closet with plenty of space to hang clothes. There was also a fridge, a microwave, a coffee-maker, iron and ironing board, and hair dryer. The rooms were clean and the furniture was sturdy and attractive. Even the bedding was nice: the mattress was firm, the sheets were soft, and there were plenty of pillows and blankets. The bathroom, which was immaculate, had granite counters and quarry tile on the floor. The room was private and quiet and had excellent climate control, all of which paved the way for two good nights' sleep.

The desk clerks were efficient and accommodating. Although check-in was at 4:00, our room had already been cleaned so we were welcome to use it right away. Check-in and check-out were quick. For $3.00 a day we could park our car in the lot. (Parking in Rehoboth is a challenge.) My daughter's friend was staying somewhere else but was allowed to use the WiFi connection (available in the lobby but not in the rooms) for most of the afternoon. The lobby was well-lit and had comfortable furniture, including a computer desk.

The Breakers is two long blocks from the beach, and we could have taken a pedal-powered jitney, but we walked. When we got to the beach, we had free use of an umbrella that we picked up at the Sands, the Breakers' oceanfront sister hotel. (We also could have taken beach chairs but didn't need them.)

The cost of the room included breakfast. On Friday morning we were offered "extended" continental breakfast, which included mini-donuts, toast, bagels, dry cereal (Cheerios or Frosted Flakes), and yogurt. I would have liked to have some fresh fruit and perhaps more cereal options. On Saturday, there was "hot breakfast," which did include fresh fruit, as well as scrambled eggs, sausage, and pancakes. The eggs and pancakes were not really hot, and the room was noisy, thanks in part to music from a soft rock radio station (which people then tried to talk over). The breakfast was the only part of our stay that was less than first rate.

The Breakers is comfortable and well-located and I certainly would stay again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

127 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Bethesda, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

I've stayed at the Breakers in Rehoboth twice and was pleased both times. The first time (August 2011) took the DC to NY bus from Dupont Circle in Washington, DC. I left on a Friday evening and returned to DC on Sunday night. The Breakers was a great location-it could not have been more convenient since it is located right next to the bus stop. It is just far enough off of the main drag (Rehoboth Avenue) to be quieter but also close enough to be within walking distance to the beach, great shops, restaurants and anything else you'd need. The rooms are nice, not fancy, but most have a private balcony (on both visits mine overlooked the lake and a park) that are great for relaxing, having breakfast (served on the 4th floor) or having a glass of wine. The staff is very accommodating. Check out is at 11 am but the bus doesn't leave until 7:30 pm. I wasn't looking forward to dragging my my overnight bag around with me all day. The front desk staff offered to keep my overnight bag while I was at the beach and let me know that I could use the outdoor shower before leaving for DC. It was great-a full day at the beach, a place to change and shower and a nice dinner (without lugging my bag) before the bus ride home.

My last visit July 2011) was great too. This time I came with a friend by car. There's a small fee ($3) per night for parking but again the front desk told us we could park until 3 pm and again offered the shower. We had a great time-had our morning latte at the Coffee Mill just around the corner and loved everything at the Taste of Italy deli just a few blocks away on Baltimore Avenue.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

We've been really lucky 'cause we didn't have any reservation... So, we got there the staff was really kind and patient. They offer us a nice room with two bedrooms( even though i was only with my boyfriend we took it). Over all, the place is great, clean and comfortable. The location is near everything. Great place to stay and you should definitely go there...
We be back for sure next summer!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

As has been said before, if you are looking for the RITZ, you will be sorely disappointed.
We stayed in the suite. Housekeeping was wonderful, breakfast in our opinion more than adequate, the pool for our purposes was ok, again not the RITZ buit it does not pretend to be. As far as location, it really can't be beat for the price.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

I almost canceled my reservation here because of the many negative comments. However, I decided that I was going to keep my reservation and hope for the best. I am glad we did.
I called the hotel the morning we were to check in to see if they had an idea of when the room would be ready. Since we have 2 dogs, I didn't want to get there too early. They offered a suggestion on a local beach that allows pets. I didn't have to do that though. While I was driving there, my cell rang and it was the hotel manager telling me that my room was ready. I never asked for this, she simply did it on her own as good customer service. I was very impressed by this. Once we arrived they checked us in right away and gave us a room. The room is small as people mentioned, but it's not unusual for a hotel in Rehoboth. This is an old town and the hotels were built many years ago. Beach hotels also have a lot of wear and tear. I would not hesitate to stay here again and encourage others as well.
I think the complaints listed here are from people that are not familiar with Rehoboth and do not understand that these hotels are not the Ritz,
The biggest suggestion for the hotel is to not buy cheap mattresses. This is the only downside I have found with this visit.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

I'll admit after reading some of the reviews I was a little nervous but I left there today VERY pleased with our stay. We got there Monday a little early and while our room wasn't ready they did give us a parking lot pass so we could park there. Rehoboth Ave is only a block away, lots of shops restaurants, etc..then the beach is only a short 2 blocks away. We walked it rather than pay 25 cents per 10 minutes to park closer. The streets are quiet and pretty :) There is an indoor pool on the 5th floor and yes it's small but it was clean and great to cool off after a hot day at the beach. The room we had (standard) was a little small but fine for 2 adults and 2 children. I'd recommend a larger room for anything more.The a/c worked fine in our room. There was a balcony with a pretty view of the lake where there are 2 swings and lots of little turtles in the water. House keeping came in daily and did a WONDERFUL job! The beds were decent with 4 fluffy pillows on each. Breakfast is served in the conference room with choice of toasts, bagels, danishes, cereals, fresh fruits, yogurts, coffee, tea and oj. Apparently they do a "hot" breakfast on weekends only, but that was fine. One con is there is only one elevator and it's kinda slow, but that's it. Overall it was a GREAT stay at Breakers and we look forward to going back! I'm not sure why so many people complained, if you want fancy and oceanfront try another hotel, it you are looking for value and comfort then this is the place!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

The room was ok (basic) clean ,,, the service was good and the location was great and the price was excellent !! Had a great time in rehobeth central to other beaches Jolly trolley will take you to Dewey for the night ,,, round trip $10.... Had fun in Bethany , Dewey , OC , all central to Rehobeth ,,, shopping reasonable ,,, no tax , and food was excellent everywhere ,,, Recommend Cloud 9 , Dogfish Head , Summer house, and
Irish Eyes.... Whiskey Jacks a great boradwalk bar.......saw dolphins right off shore, Sunny everyday ,, rained once in the morning and then once at 3 a.m.... no problem there ,,, Thanks Kellly you were wonderful as was all the staff there at the Hotel ! continental breakfast every week day and a hot buffet on Sunday ! ... Great savings right there,,,

Jon and Vicki

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Breakers Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!