“HORRIBLE!” 1 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Centreville, Virginia
“HORRIBLE!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

This is by far the worst B&B we have ever stayed at. It is way overspriced and in need of some serious renovations and better service. When we arrived, the employee was rude and unwelcoming. Her office off of the kitchen looked more like a supply closet! After a quick explaination of when "breakfast" is served and the rules of the hot tub, we were shown to our rooms, the Aunt Clara and Endora. Our room was disgusting. It hadn't been dusted in a long time, the TV didn't work, the bed was made lopsided, it was dank and dirty. I started sneezing the minute we walked in and continued sneezing while we were in there. Walking into the bathroom, my heart fell even more. The wallpaper was peeling off in different areas, the shower had a huge chip in the floor, there were stains on the walls, and not a towel in sight. I am not sure about the theme of the place, but I was expecting more in the way of the Bewitched motiff. There were a few pictures of Aunt Clara, and on the bed was a binder telling about her. Unfortunatly, we couldn't read the literature as the pages that had been printed from the internet (real classy) had been spilled on and the words all smeared. I think one of the most irritating aspects of this room, were the pleas for tips found in the form of envelopes sitting on the dusty dresser! We used the hot tub that night, and all noticed that it smelled of mildew. Once in the tub, there were clumps of hair floating around in it. When I immediately got out, I found that my skin smelled of mildew as well, disgusting. The next morning, we arrived for breakfast! I came into the kitchen and said goodmorning, but the woman said nothing in return, very welcoming...not. She announced that she had made pancakes which were on a plate under foil, and peach muffins. There was also boiled eggs, yogurt, toast, and fruit. The pancakes were cold, obviously, and the peach muffin was an undercooked bland mess. There was no bacon or other meat, nothing of real substance. We were given small dessert plates to "help ourselves." Once we had our plates, we turned around to find the dining room...no such thing! You can eat outside in the heat, or go into the front entrance room and sit at a tiny table. I opened my yogurt only to find it had expired the week before, sure not a big deal, but when you pay $260 a night, you expect the yogurt to be fresh. The coffee was so watered down, I thought I had poured tea on accident. We were so glad we had only booked one night there! We noticed that their other B&B, the Sea Witch was up for sale, good thing, they need to concentrate on improving what they already have.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Innkeeper67, Owner at Bewitched & BEDazzled B&B, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Hi, we are sorry you did not have the best experience with us, in reference to our pricing, let me explain we provide a free parking lot verses 6 minute’s for a quarter parking meter for a limit in town. are in a very high priced tourist area, we are a small business. We are priced much lower than Brand X Hotels miles away from the beach whereas we are only a couple of blocks from the beach and we provide beach towels and chairs. Yes we are a B&B and our office are is a multifunction room. We open our home to guest as most B&B’s do. We are always working to provide our establishment in excellent conditions, the sink in the bath was replaced prior to this guest arrival and the wallpaper was not totally repaired, however it was done the day of their checkout. We serve a gourmet breakfast by a on-staff chef every morning, I am sorry if what we served did not meet your expectations. Since check out is at 11AM as most hotels we try to accommodate guest, but if they arrive for breakfast at check-out time , we cannot accommodate them. If you look at all of our reviews it is clear that we do not accept anything other than exceptional housekeeping standards. We now deliver your breakfast to your table and make it fresh as you order. We also have what is acceptable in the restaurant business as bistro tables in our sunroom. Since we are in Delaware and morning temperatures do not come close to 75-80o we serve on our 4000 sq. ft. deck. Our Staff is amazing and has been on staff for more than 3 years, and we are an employee owned company. We provide Arabica Coffee and it is made in a standard restaurant brewing pot. We are no longer for sale and in our 12th Season and intend on making all of our guest experience the best vacation ever.

272 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

We stayed 2 nights with our dog at this B&B. The room was fine, if small and as others have mentioned, a bit rundown but that's part of the charm of a B&B (I guess). Parking is free, but cramped - our rear bumper was hit during our stay and of course no one owned up to it. Breakfast was fine, but not elaborate and I wouldn't call it a buffet. On average there was fruit, muffins and a casserole or other dish to choose from. We were up right at 8am to eat because the walls are very, very thin so deep sleep was not happening. We stayed in the Darrin II and the bathroom right outside (which was for another room) also added to the noise level. Beach chairs, while provided, are broken so we wound up renting chairs on the beach anyway. Speaking of the beach - we were told it was 2 blocks away when we booked the room via phone. It is a solid 15-20 minute walk away and is a series of winding streets before you get to the 2-block walk. For more than $300/night for the room + dog, I would recommend boarding your dog and staying somewhere on the beach where prices are comparable.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

Location and theme were fantastic; however the "breakfast was not on par. Coffee was horrible, service was a noticeable effort and the food selection was limited yet straight from the grocery story.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Middletown, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

A great place to stay,staff was great. I have to say,breakfast was awesome!
Pet friendly,my dog was a happy camper.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

This place was WAY overpriced and needs some serious TLC. Lots of issues.. Where to begin:
- Dog hair everywhere (not pleasant when you are allergic!). The extra charge if you have a dog is clearly not being used for cleaning
- Shower a joke- dark, tiny, plastic, nozzle looked like just a hose. LED light?
- Breakfast gross and boring- Servers not friendly and sharp cut off at 10am
- Upon checking in, felt like I was breaking into someone's place as the reception was very cold
- Rooms crowded, no closet, no space, tacky decor and creepy pictures
- Total rip-off

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Devon, Pa.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

Way overpriced for what received, a very poor value. Cost was $1256 for three nights, including two dogs. The room was so tiny that you could barely walk betwwen the bed to get to the bedroom. The "service" was average, if at all. The breakfast was poor for a B&B and one morning I arrived at 10:03 and was told that it was over at 10:00 and was reluctantly given some breakfast, but I had to serve myself. They moved me one day and said it would be after 1:00 and I arrived at 12:45 and was surprised to see someone else in my room and my dog and stuff in another room. I do not understand how this unfriendly B&B stays in business.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

Stayed 2 nights. Room was small but manageble. Bed comfortable, bathroom clean. Very cheap with amenities. If you use your washcloths the first night of you stay you do not get new ones. Advertised wine glasses the same, never replenished after 1st use. Coffee in lobby 24/7 is nice but only if there are cups within to pour it. Again, available 1st night, never replenished. Creamer in fridge was clumpy, dated March 2011, over 4 months old! Advertised beach chairs delapidated & broken, bring your own! If you need a plastic cup to drink from, rinse it out, you only get 1 for entire stay. Water cooler in lobby was empty when we got there and although a new bottle was on the floor no one ever bothered to replace it. Staff unfriendly. For $230 night you could stay ywice as long in a 2star motel & be treated better. RUN

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Bewitched & BEDazzled B&B? Share your experiences!