“Our 6th trip to this Bed and Breakfast” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cabana Gardens Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Cabana Gardens Bed & Breakfast
20 Lake Avenue, Corner of Lake Ave and Third Street, Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971   |
Maryland
“Our 6th trip to this Bed and Breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I just reread my review from 2007. Everything is still great! We just had our 6th family reunion there. What a joy! So good to see Gary again. The weekend before we went he had a big crowd for a wedding. We chatted with some of that family and they all loved staying there. The boardwalk wasn't very crowded and we had no difficulty getting into restaurants for lunch and dinner.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

60 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

This is a lovely, super-clean, beautifully furnished B&B within walking distance of the Ocean and all the restaurants and activities in Rehoboth. We go back almost every year and love parking the car and walking to everything until it's time to go home. Though cold, the breakfast is very varied and good, and there's a pool and outside shower. And- the prices aren't over the top!

Room Tip: Many of the rooms have access to an outdoor deck.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Katonah, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Cabana Gardens this summer. Gary was great. We found it to be clean, simple, comfortable, very well located, quite, and overall, just fine. The "but" is that my husband and I are early risers and BEAN FIENDS. Breakfast is only between 9-10am, with no exceptions. There is no Keurig or other quick coffee machine. So no way to have a coffee before 9:00am. As my daughter said, "even the Mavis tires shop has coffee available for customers". So we were disappointed with the morning ritual. Fortunately, there is a Starbucks right down the road, within walking distance,but at additional cost. I would stay there again, but bring my own coffee maker.

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

We usually stay at the Brighton Suites, which is one block from the Boardwalk, but wanted to branch out. Try someplace new. Maybe even save a few bucks. I called a few Inns and B&Bs, based on your reviews here on Tripadvisor. What happened was that one inn owner would recommend I call another inn owner, and I did this for a few calls until I found Gary, here at Cabana Gardens, who had the three nights, which we needed, available. He got us into a large square-footage second-floor room with a comfy/firm king-sized bed. The only part that made it feel B&B-ish was the lack of a thermostat (not an issue) and the lack of room numbers on the doors (again, we didn't care. It wasn't like we were going to get lost in the small building). Other than those little details, it was certainly the equal to any place we could have picked in Rehoboth. Let me return, though, to when I made a reservation because Gary, the owner, was a big help when my plans changed. Within a day of making the reservation (old-school--he later USPS-mailed me a receipt for my deposit), my better half had a schedule change and I had to call and ask if we could adjust. Again, no problems. That alone showed me how amenable he was. No problems parking in a small secure (really, the whole town is a wonderful place, security is not an issue if you use a modicum of common-sense as you would do anywhere else) lot behind the two buildings that comprise Cabana Gardens. A very pleasant Francesca checked us in and took us to our nice room as soon as we got in, at about 1:45 PM (15 minutes ahead of check-in time). Very clean smelling! Newer furniture. Small bathroom (again, not something we care about at the beach). We never use televisions so I don't know about cable. But good WiFi signal, even out at pool. We also had a shared porch off our room, overlooking Lake Gerar. Very nice! The pool was one of those plastic inserts, small but definitely large enough for us to cool-off in. Beautiful gardens throughout the property! We also ended up talking with a couple of other guests out there. It was a nice crowd: about six other mostly GM and Het couples, around our age (i.e., middle aged). We stayed two nights, and enjoyed ourselves. The room ran about 200 a night for weeknights, which is actually a good rate for high season. Cheaper than Brighton Suites, but not by too much. Cabana Gardens is about two blocks to the Boardwalk, which doesn't sound far but is when it is July and August. It's hot in the summer, right? But it's right in the heart of the restaurants/shopping. A few reviews have mentioned the noise from the recycling operation that sits in the parking lot to the south east of the property. it can be seen on Google maps. Yes, at 7 AM, I was awakened by some truck noise associated with it, but it was short-lived and not out of character for the general noise level found in the downtown area of Rehoboth Beach in the summer. Also, a hotel, The Breakers, sits right on the very same parking lot, and they would certainly get a LOT more noise than Cabana Gardens, which is a bit father away and shielded by some foliage. Additionally, the main streets of Rehoboth, such as Delaware Ave, which is where Brighton Suites is, are also prone to traffic and pedestrian noises. So I would take any noise complaints you read here in context and with a grain of salt. There's noise when you stay right in the heart of a booming beach town, right? Ocean City, MD, for instance, would be ten times more noise. What I'm getting at is the noise complaints are not worth worrying about, even for a light, wake-up-every-hour sleeper like me. There's a functional hair-dryer in the bathroom, along with a new bar of Dial soap. The bedding was top-notch (at least 250 and probably a higher thread-count). The bathroom towels were not as good, but clearly acceptable, new-ish, and clean. You may want to bring shampoo (and maybe soap, if your skin is sensitive, like one of my other half's). Overall, I would recommend this friendly, clean, conveniently located inn. It's a perfect spot to enjoy Rehoboth Beach, the owner, employees, and other guests (especially the dude who had the ELO hair and his sun-burnt wife, and the UPS guy who I talked with about Apple products and his quiet SO) were super-nice, and the light breakfast was an enjoyable start to the day.

Room Tip: Room 4, overlooking Lake Gerar, with porch, is nice, as is one on 2nd floor overlooking pool area in...
Hagerstown, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

As early as March of every year I start the countdown to the annual beach trip I take with my 2 best friends. Every year we book early at Cabana Gardens to get our favorite rooms because there is no other place we'd rather stay. The rooms are always spotless and cleaned every day by an amazingly efficient and friendly staff. I love the freshly baked muffins every morning, a guilty vacation pleasure. The other guests are always pleasant an respectful and friendly. Cabana Gardens is located an easy walking distance from shops, restaurants, bars and the beach. Most importantly, every year we are greeted with genuine affection by Gary the owner. As long as it exists and owned by Gary I will continue to go back to my "vacation home" in Rehoboth Beach.

Room Tip: If you are going to be out late at night or up early in the morning I suggest the Pool House.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Smithsburg, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Again, a great stay at Cabana Gardens. As usual the room was clean, the pool relaxing and the company of Gary delightful. The location is wonderful, walking distance to everything. I only moved my car to go on an ice run. Gary provides ice for cups, but not enough to ice down a cooler. The only suggestion I have left for this property would be the addition of a larger(not inside a refrigerator) ice machine. It would be nice not to have to run to the 7-11.

Room Tip: If you like the pool, ask for a pool view room. Otherwise, get a view of the lake.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We recently stayed at this inn and found it to be nice, but more “basic” than “luxury.” Here are some honest pros and cons:

First, we stayed in one of their tiniest rooms, and totally understood that when we made the reservation. It was the only room left in mid-summer. It was definitely small – even by New York City standards – and a sardine-sized space with barely enough room to walk around the bed. We found it to be a bit pricey for the size.

When we arrived, we were greeted warmly by Francesca, who was super-nice and friendly. She truly understands the meaning of hospitality! Other than our interactions with Francesca, we found some warmth lacking. The inn has a “polite” vibe, but not an overly-friendly, caring one – and guests should definitely not expect to be pampered in any way.

Pros:
VERY clean – the entire place was immaculate.
Quiet & cool. Our room had air conditioning and a ceiling fan, so the room was very cool. The room seemed to be new-ish and somewhat renovated, although not high-end or stylish.
The pool area is private -- very nice and clean with lounge chairs and a table with an umbrella.
Parking: They have a parking lot for guests.
Location: excellent if you want to be near all the high-end restaurants and fun bars.

Cons:
The walk to the beach is a good 10+ minutes or so, a hike if you are carrying beach stuff in the heat.
As a few other reviewers mentioned, the one-hour breakfast time (9 – 10 a.m.) is simply odd and not the norm anywhere. I’ve traveled around the world, and most hotels / b&b’s offer at least a 2 hour breakfast. It does show your guests that you care & sends a clear message that you are doing the bare minimum.
Breakfast selection is very basic as well. Fruit, instant oatmeal, yogurt and yes, the coffee is weak (really). The pastries are delicious, however. There is not an abundance of food, so it’s “just okay” for a quick continental breakfast.
No extras: The hotel does not offer beach chairs, beach towels or water bottles as some other inns do. (But you can rent chairs and umbrellas on the beach, so that’s not really an issue.)
Bring your own shampoo, conditioner & moisturizer. They have soap in the bathroom, but no other toiletries.
Lots of rules posted everywhere. Some are necessary, some are not -- and only serve to make the guests feel less welcome.

Overall, it’s not a bad inn, but a lesson in hospitality would be well worth it. It’s sad because this place has a lot of potential and with just a few "minor" improvements (and perhaps hiring the right people), this inn would go from humdrum to possibly getting some rave reviews. Maybe take a cue from other successful B&B’s – offer a warm, welcoming atmosphere and provide a few nice extras that keep your guests happy -- and wanting to return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Cabana Gardens Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!