“Horrible Owner-Horrible Customer Service” 1 of 5 stars

Canalside Inn Rehoboth
Canal and Sixth Street, Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971   |
Ranked #9 of 16 Rehoboth Beach B&B and Inns
Alexandria, Virginia
“Horrible Owner-Horrible Customer Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

My husband and I were so excited to stay at Canalside Inn next week! Initially, when we booked the four days I was told that I was going to have to lose the money as I am active-duty military and as it turned out would be on mission. I called the establishment and tried to get out of the dates but was told several times that I would be unable to get a refund as I had purchased the best rate. I was also told that the owner Steve, would call me to discuss the situation, of which he never did. This was on May 8th. I then worked it out with my leadership to be able to take leave so my husband and I were looking forward to the trip.

Just yesterday we happened to notice as we were looking at our American Express statement that without contacting us they decided to refund our stay. I immediately contacted them and ended up speaking to Steve the owner. I was shocked at the way he treated me. He told me that he was thumbing through old papers and found some paperwork that said they had canceled our room and realized we hadn't been credited the money for the rooms. He said that the note said I had been deployed, of which I never said, and he thought he had better cancel our stay. He canceled it without contacting us at all, without any communication!

We would have driven there and had no where to stay! He then made no attempt to help us find another place. He did however inform me that they were sold out and there was nothing he could do. He said "Sorry, I don't know what to tell you." I asked him at the very least can you find us a comparable place to stay, one in cost and comfort. He said "yes I can, I will call you back in five minutes." He did call back with a place that cost twice as much and scored 2 stars on both yelp and trip advisor...I think not. Our friends who frequent Rehoboth told us the place is a dump.

Needless to say, Steve, you need to take a class on customer service. Not only did we lose our room and you lose our respect but he also lost our friends business as they called and canceled their room as well. All of us assume that he just wanted to make more money by canceling our "Best rate" and reselling at full price. Steve, I hope you are happy that you made a little extra money and in the process lost several future customers. You are the epitome of the lowest of the low.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Vienna, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

What I loved: it's pet friendly! And upscale pet friendly! My favorite combination.we booked a canal side King room on the first floor next to reception and the room was lovely. Hardwood floors which are so much cleaner than carpet. The bathroom was beachy, large and well appointed with thoughtful black washcloths for removing makeup. Such a smart idea that I replaced my white ones at home with black. The room opens to a foyers with chair and closet, and provides mini blinds to add privacy from parking spaces in front. You can park right in front of your room and enter from the outside which is great when traveling with dogs. There is a small front porch and a,ole room inside to set up the dogs portable kennels which they sleep in at night or which we can zip them up in if we go to dinner. They are more relaxed when confined in their "den" especially when in a strange place and we don't worry that they'll get into something. Good peace of mind. The kennels both fit under the desk at the foot of the bed. The room included a kitchenette with sink, fridge and coffee maker. It is located in a quiet neighborhood, a few blocks walk into the beginning of town and probably 15-20 min walk to the beach, depending on how fast you walk. Great walking places for the dogs too. Breakfast is ok. I've been spoiled by the European Hotels who offer lavish breakfast buffets with everything from pancakes to omelets so it was quite a let down to find a bowl of pre-packaged muffins and some bagels. Plan on having breakfast or brunch at one of the great restaurants in town and enjoy the inn for what it provides. An upscale, clean, contemporary place in a great town near the beach that you can bring your well behaved dog to. I always appreciate nice, pet friendly places and this tops them all.

Room Tip: Ask for a canal side king.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Burke, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Great location. Beautifully decorated and clean. Breakfast was good--if you like carbs. Small but nice pool, also a hot tub in rear. Outdoor shower available on side. Beach chairs and bikes available for use. Pet-friendly.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Baltimore, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stayed 3 nights, 4 days over a long-weekend. The inn is so quiet and relaxing. The rooms upstairs are a little small but serve the purpose well. The deck has padded chairs and adirondack chairs to sit on to relax....the canal doesn't usually get many boats but a few do pass quietly through.
Breakfast is bagels, muffins, fruit, yogurt, cereal and the yummiest coffee!!!!
The pet policy is awesome---the Inn owners have pets too. There's even a kitty cat at the inn.
This place is top-notch. Highly recommended! ;-)

• Stayed June 2013
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed there for one night, very cute, clean b&b. they were willing to let my dog stay in a non pet room( my dog does not shed), very nice of them. Room was clean and nicely decorated with new tv, fridge and coffee maker. Breakfast in the morning was awesome, delicious muffins, bagels, orange juice, coffee and much more... I would definitely stay there again and reccomend it to everyone.

• Stayed March 2013
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

The Canalside Inn is a lovely little gem in a great town that doesn't offer many good hotels. The view is beautiful, the location peaceful and quiet. Its a very easy three or four block walk to downtown where the great shops, bars, and restaurants are. Its about a fifteen minute stroll to the boardwalk. Breakfast and coffee are served in a neat, modern dining room/lounge area. The place is immaculate. There is a hot tub and small dipping pool on the deck. The rooms are decorated in a fresh, hip and beachy style. They are spacious and spotless. Our room had two double beds, and a very efficient kitchenette with microwave, fridge, coffee maker and supplies. Fluffy robes hanging in the closet. Upscale toiletries. So you would think the beds would just be super luxurious and comfy, yes? No! The worst, most uncomfortable mattress I have ever found in a hotel at any price point. If we hadn't been checking in so late, I would have asked the management if the beds in any of the other rooms were different, and if so, could we switch? Pretty please? Luckily we were only there for one night. As lovely as the rooms are, and as inviting as all the amenities are, its just such a shame that the beds were so bad. In the end, isn't a stay in a hotel all about getting a good night's sleep?

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Leesburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I took a mid-week trip to Rehoboth and finally stayed at the Canalside (i'd had my eye on it for years) mainly because they have great winter rates. I knew this place would be cute based on what i saw online, but when i opened that door to my room, my jaw literally dropped to the floor! Adorable!! Clean! fresh! I almost didn't want to leave!! Lobby area is equally cute as is the commune/breakfast room. The owners have done a great job with this place.

Highly recommend and is pet friendly (tho i did not take my dog this time).

Location is ok, within the town limits. If your staying in the off-season, no real issue since parking is free.

Will definitely be staying here again in the future!! Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Been to Canalside Inn Rehoboth? Share your experiences!