“Less is more...” 5 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Lodge   |   30 Olive Ave, PO Box 673, Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971   |
fontana, california
“Less is more...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

My stay at the Summer Place Hotel met my expectations. I paid less than I would have at other hotels on the beach and had more money to spend. The staff were nice and courteous and the property was clean. As advertised the room was moderately furnished, but met my requirements. I look forward to staying there again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

If you are staying in Rehoboth Beach you don’t want to be driving – so you need to stay in the middle of it all, problem is that’s usually pretty spendy. The Summer Place Hotel can solve your dilemma; it puts you in a great location without spending all your money on your hotel room. If you go the beach to hang out in the hotel room than this is probably not the place for you; however, if you to the beach for the beach/bars/fun and therefore really just need a place to sleep and shower this may be exactly what you are looking for. The amenities are standard but the A/C and showers work well and in the 4 or 5 stays we have had there we have never seen a dirty room or had a problem otherwise. Dan, the owner/operator is great and has always been very accommodating. While we wouldn’t recommend this place to our parents, we would and have recommended it to many friends. We will continue to stay at the Summer Place because the savings translates into more fun while we are there and more trips to Rehoboth. With the money you save go enjoy a mind blowing dinner at Eden – which is only a block away and is worth the trip alone.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

My girl and I have been together for 10 years and we found this place that many years ago! We didn't have much money back then so this place fit our budget at the time. Now we're in a much better place financially, I'm no longer a starving college student and I still find myself coming back to the Summer House! Dan seems like a nice guy, he has a great location, next to everything you want to be next to!

We will probably continue to stay at the Summer House, in-season, off-season, just to get away... when ever! It's not the Ritz Carlton but it's got everything you need when you're at the beach! Who stays in their room when they're on vacation anyway? All you need is a shower and a bed... Summer Place has both and a small tv, fridge, a/c and extra sheets if you need them!

Don't let these snobs tell you how much you need a flat screen, more room, etc. Vacations at the beach are suppose to be spent everywhere but your room!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

I was in room 1. If you get this room, you might as well just sleep on the side of the road. Its right behind the check in booth in the entry hall. And when I say its right behind the booth, I mean about 6 inches away, on the other other side of what appears to be a single layer of drywall. The attendant kept his TV on, we could hear him eating, and the doorbell rings everytime someone comes in or out. When we entered the dingy 1970s style room, we could smell sewage. There were some sort of worms on the bathroom floor and standard bugs on the walls and floors. I feel fortunate that I got out without carrying bedbugs home (that I know of). The location is 2 blocks from the beach, which is the only reason anyone would stay here. Oh and the location is the only thing I can see as a positive - 2 blocks from the beach. Spend and extra 20 or 30 bucks for something decent, unless you like to feel like you're hanging out at some poor cousin's house on your vacation. Yuk!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Washington, DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

I wish I had heeded the warnings of Ehct75 and TravelbugMaryland and others, but I needed a last minute overnighter for our family and thought that a 2-room condo for a Sat. night stay at $170 was a good deal. I also thought I have a pretty high tolerance for old furniture and so-so housekeeping (I'm fine with doing some cleaning myself, if necessary). But this "condo" barely habitable. We arrived late in the evening to find that our room had the bathroom trash left by the previous guests, the rugs were stained and smelly, and the futon bed in the living room, when pulled out, slanted downwards rather than lying flat. We had to walk past rows of dumpsters to get to our room. We contemplated losing the prepaid charge for the night and looking for another motel or hotel, but we were worried that everything else might be booked, so we stuck it out, but nobody slept well. I would never stay in this hotel again, even if the night were free. I wish I had taken photos, because they would be worse than the 3 posted by TravelBugMaryland.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

Had a great ime in Rehoboth Beach staying at Summer Place.......so close to the beach and nightlife. Accomodations weregreat.......... clean and the price is just right. Would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants the convenience of parking your vehicle........and walking short distances to everyplace you need to go.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

You can't complain too much when the price of the stay is so cheap. When I'm on vacation I'm only going to the hotel for one thing: sleep. The bed was nice, there was a small fridge to keep drinks cool, a small AC unit that worked fine, and a TV to chill and get some laughs in before I fell asleep. I see a lot of negative reviews here, but I've stayed twice and haven't been disappointed. Probably not best for a business trip, but perfect for a little getaway. Downtown Rehoboth and the beach are only a walk away. It's the perfect little spot for couples.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Summer Place Hotel? Share your experiences!