“"More bang for your buck"” 5 of 5 stars

You added Summer Place Hotel to your Saves list
Summer Place Hotel
2.0 of 5 Lodge   |   30 Olive Ave, PO Box 673, Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971   |
fontana, california
“"More bang for your buck"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

If you are frugal and conservative with your finances - as I am, then this is the place in Rehoboth Beach to stay. It's only one block away from the beach and within walking distance from shops and restaurants. There is no price comparison for this location! Staff and management are friendly and accommodating. Although the rooms are not so spacious, they do have all of the amenities of the "chain hotels". (mini fridge, a/c, microwave, table & chairs) If you need parking that can be accommodated with a parking permit on the street, if all of the spaces are full in the hotel parking lot. I definitely will be returning, as this hotel exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
North Attleboro, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

My wife & I recently attempted to stay at this hotel (if you want to call it that).

We entered the room and were utterly disappointed. The room had a broken down air conditioner, with clear openings to the street., which caused the room to be very cold and drafty. The room was otherwise very old, tiny, and not well maintained. There was only a light blanket for the bed, which we were afraid to sleep in. The bathroom wasn't much more than what you would expect at a camp. Since we had a number of belongings that would have had to be taken up to the room, it was very difficult to do so due to the very narrow and winding stairs to the 2nd floor. The photographs on the internet, publicizing the rooms in the hotel, looked nothing like the room we were given. The hotel did not appear to be very safe and secure.

Since we were not at all comfortable in staying at the hotel, we drove to look for another place to stay. Once we had found an alternative (which was now much more expensive), we made other arrangements. When I returned the next day to return the keys, the front entrance was dark and no one was to be found. My only alternative was to leave the keys in an envelope on the check-in counter, including a written message of my disappointment with the whole situation.

I sent a written request to the hotel manager stating that I would appreciate a refund of the reservation. I have heard nothing to-date,even though I have now contacted them three times now.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Fairfax, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Okay, Here is Gimpy Grandma, pushing 83 now and my hearing has NOT improved since last I wrote telling the story of "the non functioning refrigerator" I asked to be exchanged for one that works. The "man in charge" has a natural poker face which never changed as he turned a switch and said, matter of factly, "You gotta turn it on".' No hint of sarcasm.
Went back there this year again, beach is one block away, and discovered that - after diving into the surf, which I had done all my life, I got rolled each time trying to get back up on the sand. So, I asked"the man in charge" if there were swim access on the bay-side. He replied and it sounded to me like "Go to the Rusty Water", kindly gave me instructions how to get there. Turns out this very nice funky restaurant at Dewey is called "Rusty Rudder" AND they had a Bob Marley Concert that night, outdoors under the stars by the Bay. Went straight back there next night..............If I live so long, I'll be back in 2014! Gimpy Grandma (got a scooter now)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Bolivia-USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

This is the worst hotel I have been, very, very dirty not friendly at all.....not worth it!
The actual was loud, the bed not clean, insects on the floor.
Parking not easy, location was fine you can walk to the main street if you wish.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Gaithersburg, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

If you need a VERY basic room within 1 minute of the boardwalk and beach this is a great place... Furniture in the rooms isn't new, but is in good repair although the rooms are not very roomy at all. Management was nice and housekeepers promptly provided extra towels. Good room if you are on a budget. Save the money for something fun with very abundant nice restaurants and bars just around the block from the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We were greated inside the front door with mounds of dirty laundry and a steamy, nasty smell. For $5 we were directed to drive over the sidewalk and park in a tiny space. The room really didn't seem clean and the dark blue quilts looked really nasty. When I asked for a clean quilt the man in charge said that the stains were just "bleach stains" and did not change it. The back door by our room banged loudly every time someone came or went and we were sure we would never be able to sleep. We left, forfitting our $140...it was worth it to get out of there. The man inb charge didn't seem surprised or ask why.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

This place is truly horrible. Besides being filthy and run-down, there is no onsite parking. Which wouldn't be an issue except that the website clearly states that there is. You pay a $40 refundable deposit for a parking pass. If you're familiar with Rehoboth parking, and especially that side of town, permit parking spots are few and far between. We ended up parking 15 minutes away and just leaving the car there for the weekend. However, we were still awakened at 8am by another hotel guest who was asking us to move our car because it was blocking his. It wasn't, of course. But, the hotel has about three parking spaces and then lets people park behind those. This poor guy was trying to get his car out in the morning and the hotel clerk told him to just knock on all the room doors until he found the owners of the car behind his. Absolutely ridiculous.
As for the state of the rooms, I just hope I didn't contract an infectious disease.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends