“Missed Opportunity” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 29 hotels in Rehoboth Beach
London
“Missed Opportunity”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

I read the Tripadvisor reviews before I booked here for 2 nights, so I knew I was taking a chance with the mixed experiences of other guests.
The positives: Location is perfect, just a couple of minutes' walk to the beach. The room and common areas met my minimum standards for cleanliness; just barely.
The negatives: A little attention to detail would go a long way to bring this hotel from mediocre to excellent. Things like removing the picture frame from the room with a long jagged crack across the glass, towels that may have been washed but were still stained; the sheets that seemed clean but also a couple of decades old; carpet that appeared damp and stained and the many signs around the hotel that would have taken so little effort to look more professional.
The main negative point is the poor customer service. When I entered the reception area to check in, a man came in behind me. We each assumed the other was hotel staff, as no one else was present. We waited a few minutes and then rang a bell on the desk as a sign instructed. No one appeared. A few minutes later, I used the phone on the desk to call as the sign instructed; it rang on and on. Finally, a door opened; a man appeared in a towel and said (grumpily) 'I'm in the shower, I'll be out in 5 minutes' and closed the door. That set the tone for the hotel's customer service.
I didn't realize from the reviews that there is VERY limited on-site parking, which if you are lucky enough to get it you may be blocked in by someone else or the one blocking them. I was told I could park behind another car for the first night but that I would likely be called at 7 or 8 am when they were leaving to move the car; I was charged an extra $5 for the privilege.You pay a $35 deposit to get a parking permit and are told to go out and find a non-metered space. The closest space I could find for the second night was almost a 10 minute walk away from the hotel, not at all convenient. I then didn't want to drive around as it was such a hassle to find another space so left the car there until I checked out.
The bottom line: If you can find another place to stay in the area for close to the same price, take it. If you choose this one, enjoy the location and keep your expectations low for customer service.

Room Tip: Room 19 on the 3rd floor was good because there was no noise from other rooms but it is next to the...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

190 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
york
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I booked this hotel on 06/25/2013. I also called the same day and cancelled. They still took my money off my credit card. I called the hotel for a refund they hung up 3 times saying they did not know anything about it. This place is very shady so be careful.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

Despite the bad reviews, because of the price we decided to try this place out . I wish I would have listened. We arrived and the man at front desk is very rude. When booking the room we were told there were parking arrangements. What this means is you give him $40 for a parking pass to park on the street 3 blocks from the hotel . We were told we couldn't check in early because people were still in our room , no problem we understand. We came back at 3 to check in. We got into our room and practically fell on to the bed. It is the smallest room I've ever seen . We had to walk sideways to get around it and it was pushed against the wall. The smell of mold was overwhelming. We looked up and there was mold everywhere!! Inside of all the picture frames, just everywhere. My boyfriend went out front to tell the clerk . He said he would have someone clean it, it's been empty for two weeks! Funny since he told us we can't check in early since there were people in the room? No refunds !! Signs posted everywhere so we got another room that for sure was better no mold but was still disgusting! We drove to Walmart to buy our own towels and bedding . Yes the hotel is close to the beach .... But it is not worth it. This place is more like a hostel not a hotel .

• Stayed June 2013
DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

The room smelled terrible. The towels were dirty. My friends didn't have working lights. Our room had the door kicked in. The door frame was pieced back together. Awful experience. Would not give a refund. Stay away!

Room Tip: Stay away do yourself a favor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Asbury, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I stayed there for 2 nights in the Summer, and it was the worst place I've ever stayed in. I'm not really demanding but this place was really dirty and smelly, it really disgusted me. The bed sheets looked so disgusting that my boyfriend and I went to Walmart to buy clean sheets (we tried to get a room somewhere else but most places we looked were sold out). Besides the dirty feeling of the room, the place smelled smoke everywhere. There was an insect in the tub and other behind the headboard of the bed. And please, if you still plan to stay there take your own towels!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Lancaster, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

This hotel is relatively clean, NOT a lot of amenties, but SO close to the beach that you do not care. A room for 2 people had a full bed, fridge, microwave, TV & a dresser,. & not much else but the bathroom & shower, but when you are 2 blocks from the beach & the price is right--who cares?

It would have been nice if the owner/manager were a little nicer, but if your goal is to get up early, spend the day on the beach & the boardwalk, eat at good restaurants & have somewhere to store & eat your doggie bag, this is perfectly acceptable & super cheap. I'm going to take my husband there once & see if he agrees, but for myself, it was perfect for an impromptu getaway.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

......and the ocean just a block away! I am an 82 year old grandma, handicapped, who needed some sun and sea-breeze. Summer Place was perfect for me! I had only two days to spend there and enjoyed every minute: Two blocks to sparkly main-street Rehoboth Beach! One block to the board-walk! After 5 days back home - my days are still illuminated by the memory-images of the blue water and the seagulls. Accessible! Affordable!
The place is old-timey, funky, its front adorned with a wall of sunflowers - visible from afar
so you don't get lost hobbling back.... The host, Mr. Dan (a champion biker with a wall-full of
trophies) is a modest, quiet, very helpful individual. To my plea for another refrigerator - he came instantly and said, with a gentle smile, "You had it turned off"!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Summer Place Hotel? Share your experiences!