“Expectations are everything” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 29 hotels in Rehoboth Beach
Cleveland, Ohio
“Expectations are everything”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

This place is more like an old guest house or hostel than a standard motel. I can see how that would turn some people off but others won't care. In short-

PROS:
+ Cheapest place to stay close to the beach. If you are not too picky and not expecting to spend too much time in the room, this is a decent place for you.
+ Nice deck to sit outside at night and relax.
+ Mini fridge and microwave were handy.
+ Shower worked fine and looked clean.

CONS:
- Parking. Be prepared to be parked in or have to find on street parking somewhere (very difficult).
- Pretty sure we did not get fresh sheets or towels the few days we stayed there, or if the sheets were changed at all since the last guest. Kinda gross.
- The hallways and common areas do smell a little dank or dingy.

Other things to know that may bother you, but weren't a big deal to us:

- Rooms are fairly small.
- I wouldn't necessarily expect prompt service or hospitality.
- Walls are very thin. Don't expect much privacy.
- The AC worked fine but was a little noisy.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

203 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Alexandria, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

I called Summer Place Hotel at the last minute on Saturday, July 21, and found they had a room available for that evening. What I was not expecting was a cozy little hotel within a block's walk of the beach at a VERY reasonable price!!! We loved our night there and would full-heartedly recommend it to anyone in need of a good night's rest. The bed was comfortable and the room VERY clean. I will go back there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012 via mobile

This "hole-in-the-wall" was absolutely disgusting, such a scam...easily the worst vacation experience of our lives. We basically walked into a closet that had an overpowering stench of mildew and dead bugs all over the place. We were afraid to put our stuff down or even take a shower since there was a spiderweb hanging from the faucet. The place didn't look like it had been cleaned since it was opened. We were also woken up all night long by the slamming of the stairwell door. And I almost forgot to mention that you had to ring the bell no less than ten times before being serviced. We got the hell out of there the next day and left early with no refund. Please don't waste your money; unfortunately it ruined our whole Rehoboth Beach experience.

• Stayed July 2012
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Our personal experience has always been pleasant in the 4 years we have stayed at Summer Place Hotel. You cant get a better place to stay this close to the beach for the price and hospitality. The parking is very easy at 5 dollars a day and your car is right outside your door. Only 1 block from beach and 1.5 blocks from rehoboth ave.

Room Tip: specify your wants in the reservation email and Dan will be happy to accomadate you. I would recomme...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

I read the reviews before we ventured out to Rehobeth and must say that it made me a bit nervous. Lesson learned- don't let one person's horrible experience determine yours. Our experience was extremely pleasant. It's not luxury, but who needs that at the beach? Rooms were clean, a bit small, but perfect for our needs. This beach house is located in the heart of the town and everything is within walking distance.. Who could ask for more. When I was getting my complimentary coffee, I had the pleasure of conversation w/ the owner.. He really is a nice guy. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2012
Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

After all the reviews I read, I was really worried about what I would find. This was a last minute trip and everything on/near the beach was booked, so I took the plunge. With such low rates, you have to go in with the expectation that you are staying at a motel, not a hotel. My king size room met this expectation. The room was clean, no stains on the bed sheets and no bugs. The size of the room was small, but it met it's purpose. Bathroom was clean, the AC unit in the room worked, tv worked, and the mini fridge worked. I came to Rehoboth Beach to spend time at the beach, not the hotel so I didn't mind staying here. If you are looking for a 5 star hotel, then don't stay here. This is a motel so don't expect anything fancy.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

It has been a while since I was at that dirty hotel and the reason why I waited so long is because I couldn't remember the name. However after looking at some reviews, I see nothing has changed. First the hotel is dirty, smelly, bug infested and the front desk keeper is not only rude, but unconerned about any thing but payment for the room. This is the worst at the beach. STAY AWAY FROM THIS ROACH MOTEL

Room Tip: The rooms are all dirty!!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Summer Place Hotel? Share your experiences!