“Started off iffy-got better as the meal went on” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Dos Locos is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 235 Restaurants in Rehoboth Beach
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar scene
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Rehoboth Ave and 2nd Street
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA
“Started off iffy-got better as the meal went on”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

We hadn't been to Dos Locos for several visits to the beach. But we had a group of 8 celebrating our civil union on the day we went- as not everyone in the group likes seafood and we knew that Dos Locos has a nice mix of seafood and steaks, etc.
The Host was very friendly, I believe it may have been one of the owners. The waiter was friendly and trying his best, but English was not his first language and he had trouble understanding us and we him. He had to come back to the table a few times to ask about something he had forgotten to ask us or to clarify something about our order. But like I said he was nice and trying very hard. I think he was a little overwhelmed with a table of 8 and was maybe new or should maybe have had help with the table.
I had asked for a ketel one martini, I got a nice size martini, but he was not made with ketel one, thankfully my dad had ordered iced tea and I used his lemon to doctor up the martini made with lower grade vodka. My mom had to send back her mojito cause of a really brown mint leaf. The waiter didn't even flinch when asked to return her drink and took care of a new drink immediately.
We got a bottle of wine for the table to celebrate the civil union with a toast, We got a Malbec, which was very good, and served properly.
Once the food arrived, most of us had gotten stonegrill, others regular platters, things really started to improve. I had the Mahi stonegril, the fish was fresh and super tender. I had honestly never had Mahi that tender and juicy before. Our friends had Ahi tuna and what was called the baseball steak, both stonegrill and they both had great things to say about their food. My partner had a regular enchilada platter and said it was also very very good. Both my parents and my in-laws had wonderful meals as well. Once the stonegrills arrived at the table, the host/owner(?) once again came to our table to helped explain to those in our group who hadn't used stonegrills before how to best cook the dish to their own liking. He was cordial and very friendly once again.
Bottom Line, I was honestly worried at the start of the meal that the restaurant wouldn't live up to the occasion we were there to celebrate, my and my partner's civil union, but but the time we left it had turned into a wonderful dinner to all 8 of us and we really had great food and great time as a group.
I do agree about the interior however, in the summer its great when the restaurant is fully open to the sidewalk, but off season its a little dark. Modern, clean and well designed, but dark in the dining room, especially toward the back.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Jarrettsville
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

The food has gone downhill and the server was hard to understand and not very helpful. Probably won't go back.

Visited September 2012
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, United States
“We stop every trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

The hand shaken with lime juice is fabulous. The food is terrific, try a lobster burrito --- fantastic. If you like things hot and spicy be sure to ask for a side of “melt your face".

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Delaware
“Enjoyable meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

My BIL raved about the crab enchiladas so we all went out for dinner and three of the four of us ordered those. Awesome. Absolutely delicious. Lumps of crab meat swimming in a cheesy sauce with some corn tortillas in it all somewhere-- what's not to like? It was so rich, and I really should have taken half home, but once I started I couldn't stop. Yum!

DH ordered the chicken mole and we were both disappointed in that choice. The chicken was tender, but the mole sauce tasted like a dessert. WAY too much chocolate. A mole should have a primary taste of chili pepper, with an aftertaste of smooth chocolate. Agave, in Lewes, has a very good mole-- much better than Dos Locos.

The margaritas, with which we washed down our meals, were also quite good.

The service was quick and attentive, and all things taken into account we will return (but not order the mole!).

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Surprised”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

The complimentary salsa & chips tasted lt came from a can. The made to order food was surprisingly good. The appearance of the restaurant could use a face lift but the food was good.

Visited September 2012