“a staple on the boardwalk” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Takeout, Late Night
Dover, Delaware
“a staple on the boardwalk”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

My family and I moved to Delaware about four years ago. We were told to check out Thrasher's fries when at the beach. Boy, was that a mistake. Now I went some every time we come! Here's why:

Thrasher's fries their fries in peanut oil for just the right amount of time. Golden brown on the outside with a perfect taste on the inside. They are always fresh and HOT!

Their customer service is always great. They are fast! There may or may not be a long line, but it moves very quickly. If the customer at the counter is finishing up, the person manning the fries might ask what size you want. By the time you are up there handing over the the money, your bucket is waiting for you.

They provide salt and vinegar which is excellent. Thankfully, no ketchup!

So why don't we visit every time we are at the beach? You could buy a sack of potatoes for the price of one bucket. Here are the current prices:

Small $4.50
Medium $6.50
Large $9.50

People gladly pay the price for these delicious fries. They are filling. We typically enjoy sharing a bucket maybe once per season.

They do accept Visa, MasterCard and Discover. Unfortunately, they do not accept American Express. I wish they did.

If you purchase a large drink, keep the plastic cup. You can return for a $1.25 refill (it was $1.00 up until this season) even in future years.

Please have a look at the pictures I have included. The bucket you see me holding is the large. You will also see a picture of the current menu with prices for both fries and drinks. If you find the pictures or this review helpful, please let me know by clicking the button below. Thanks for reading.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

90% Recommend
“The Only Game in Town Strikes again!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

If you want shore fries this is where you go. Lines of people waiting for hot fresh French Fries smothered in Malt vinegar and salt. The lines move fast and the fries are always fresh. Just don't ask for Ketchup. And you might as well get the big bucket because you'll end up going back anyway

Visited August 2013
“Great snack on the go.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Fries were fresh, hot, and tasty. Great to grab a bucket to share as the stroll the boardwalk. One person in our party complained about the "no ketchup", but no one else seemed to mind since vinegar is the preferred topping.

Visited August 2013
Dublin, Ohio
“Classic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I have been going to Rehobeth Beach since I was a kid (I'm a boomer) and they never fail to please. A big bucket brought onto the beach for lunch is heaven. I love that they do not offer ketchup, just vinegar.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
West Grove, Pennsylvania
“Great "Boardwalk Fries"!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We know that French fries are a big thing at the beach. We were surprised at the number of competing fry places along the main shopping strip in Rehoboth. This was our first visit, btw. We parked and went up to the boardwalk to check out the beach. The aroma of French fries coming from an open counter-front stand immediately caught our attention. Thrasher's. I said to my wife that fries must be a local "thing" here in Rehoboth and that we should try some.
We approached JUST as a fresh batch was dumped and salted! I doused mine real good with the apple cider vinegar they had on hand! My wife asked for ketchup and was quite taken aback when she was told they do not have any ketchup. Again, I told her it must be a local "thing" to ONLY use vinegar. Oh well.
The fries were crispy and well browned outside, yet moist and "creamy" inside. Obviously the result of Thrasher's using 100% peanut oil, which allows frying at a much higher temperature. Delicious!
If you like fries, and never had Thrasher's, you are in for a treat! Just remember to bring your own ketchup! LOL