“the location was awesome and the price...” 5 of 5 stars

You added Sandcastle Motel to your Saves list
Sandcastle Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   123 Second Street, Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971   |
Ranked #19 of 29 Hotels in Rehoboth Beach
“the location was awesome and the price...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

the location was awesome and the price wasn't bad. the rooms are extremely dated but clean. the tv had to be older then me. but who cares your going there for the beach. pay the extra 10 dollars to be on the 2nd st side if you like chillin on your balcony and people watching :)

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

Wow, I sure am glad I decided to ignore all the negative reviews about this motel. When we checked in I had a really good feeling that everything was going to be fine. The desk staff were just as sweet as could be and so helpful. When we got off the elevator the hall was not some Hitchcock nightmare but your typical tropical beach bungalow type of hallway. It was not glaringly lit, but adequately so, with deco style scones. Neither my husband, my little boy, or myself ever felt uncomfortable in the halls and we got in very late some nights. Now some of the fiercest comments were about the rooms. When we first walked in, it was a breath of fresh air. The room was sparkling clean and once again reminiscent of a tropical bungalow. There were two double beds, a nightstand with telephone and alarm clock, a round dining table with two chairs, an entertainment hutch that housed the black RCA remote controlled tv with loads of cable channels. While mentioning the tv, there is a picture of a tv in this hotel room that someone must have put up a long time ago because the tv we had, while not a flat panel, is a modern black cased tv. The hutch had two large drawers below the tv, there was a sort of bench (we used it as a computer/ drawing/games center for our son,) a wet bar with the fridge, and a nook to hang clothes and store luggage. The beds were firm but I've stayed at the Grand Hyatt Hotel in New York City many times and their beds are just as firm as these. The bathroom was shining clean as well and had the usual towels, washcloths, soap, and shampoo. It also had a built in tissue dispenser and wall mounted hair dryer. All rooms have small balconies with two chairs. Now if you want the view of Rehoboth Ave. you need to ask for it.Otherwise you get luck of the draw and that could mean you are on the back with a parking lot view. So on to the issue of the parking garage, it is just fine and dandy. There were more SUV type vehicles than anything else and my husband had no trouble parking ours. It was great to have the convenience of a garage and at no extra cost. The rooftop deck is awesome! Grab a lounge chair (just like the ones at resorts) and a cold drink and sunbathe, read, or look down at the action on Rehoboth Ave. The pool is not grand but my son and a group of other children were having a super time splashing around with beach balls and such. On a later evening visit, there were a couple of senior citizens getting in some laps. The hotel now has a new restaurant to replace Abstractions. This one is much better, I think, than some old sushi bar which is what Abstractions was. The new place is called Conch Island Key West Bar and Grill. It has a nice menu and attentive wait staff. So if you need a mint on your pillow every night or valet service, you're not at the beach anyway. The Sandcastle has a great location, great pricing, and cute, clean rooms. Plus, my seven year old said "I'm going to miss the Sandcastle." Need I say more!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
delaware
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

I stayed with my friend and our little girls and I have to say that I was not impressed at all. It looks like they have not updated their establishment since it was built years ago. The carpets are unraveling, the linoleum is coming up, the beds are uncomfortable, and the pool is awful. The t.v is very small as well. We booked because of the location and the heated indoor pool. To our dismay the pool was green and didn't appear to have any filteration. My daughter slipped on the water left on the walkway around the pool and got a huge bruise...she wasn't running her feet just came out from under her due to the slippery walkway. (We didn't allow our kids to get in due to the color and odor). The place just overall seems dirty and dingy. I was glad I was only staying one night. It is next to the fire hall so Thank Goodness the alarm didn't go off during the night like it did during the day. Clearly this place needs some renovating. When it was first built it was the place to stay but you could not pay me to stay there again. Very disappointing.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
manchester, nh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2010

I picked this motel because of its price and proximity to the Dogfish Head pub. When we went to check in, the hotel did not have my reservation on file. This is entirely Expedia's fault- not the hotel. Since it was still off season, they had no problem accommodating us.

The room was a good size and clean. Typical best western style hotel room. There was a refrigerator, no in room microwave (lobby), cable tv and a little balcony. The beach is a 3 minute walk, and just about everything is less than a 5 minute walk away. You cannot beat the location for the price.

There is a pool, but we didnt see it.

The ac worked fine, the room was cleaned, towels restocked daily.

I have no complaints about this property. The corridors were lit just fine, the parking area was a typical parking garage. Yes, the motel is dated, but who cares? I didnt book a beach motel and expect the four seasons.

I would (and probably will) stay here again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2009

I was so excited to take my son to the Sea Witch and Fiddle Fest for his 3rd Birthday. I reserved a room well in advance b/c I knew this would be a busy weekend and I have stayed here many times before. I walked into the room and there was NO safty lock on the door. As soon as I used the lower lock my son unlocked our room and was out into the hall running at full speed. When I brought this to managements attention they informed me that the safty locks have not been on the doors for over 5 years. Now, I just stayed at this hotel 1 month prior and there was a lock. They assured me that I was lying to them and this was not the case. When I asked for my money refunded to me to go to a different hotel they accused me of scaming them and threw my money at me and told me to get out. I think this was a bit over the top to accuse some one of running a scam when the issue at hand is your hotel is unsafe for my son.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2009

Reviews seemed ok so I booked the room through Expedia.com and got a great price for the Columbus Day weekend.
Pulled into the very narrow parking garage, but I had a small car (I do not know how the SUVs make it). Check in was fast and easy and then up to my room. I was on the first floor (which is the 3rd floor because the 1st two floors are the parking garage and lobby). So I took the elevator to my floor. First impression of the hallway was something from a scary movie in the 80s. Dark and dingy hallway! I opened my door and I could not stop laughing. The room was so in need for major renovations. I was surprised that the TV was working because it was so old (I think it was from the 70s). My friend arrived later and could not believe I booked this room. I was like the reviews were not that bad. At least we had a refrigerator and two beds. Well I kept my socks on while walking around the room and they were pretty dirty. The bed was not very comfortable either. I tossed and turned all night long. I needed to get a good night sleep since I had to be up and out of the motel by 7 a.m. At least they had free internet! The free internet helped me find a better room. We booked across the street at the Atlantic Inn.
The motel is close to the main shopping area in Rehoboth Beach. I would not recommend this motel to anyone. I felt dirty the one night there. Pay the extra money and stay some place else.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Middletown, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

Have to concur with some of the previous reviews: the parking (on 2 levels) is tight as are the entry/exit ramps; the place has a "faded" feeling (especially the hallways at night); the location is fantastic for shopping/dining but it is 2 long blocks to the beach (get a cart for big loads and/or kids). However, we found the (king-size) bed to be just fine as is, and the pool/sun deck location very nice - the sun deck has a 2nd story view of most of Rehoboth Avenue and the indoor, unheated pool was great for cooling off. Price we paid (w/AARP discount) did not seem cheap, especially when we compared other motels' price schedules, but the Sandcastle was one of the few places available 2-months in advance. Staff was very friendly (but no vacuuming during our stay either). Our room had a dorm-sized refrigerator and small sink in the room (no microwave but one is in the office).

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Sandcastle Motel? Share your experiences!