“Gross” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 29 hotels in Rehoboth Beach
Tampa, Florida
“Gross”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2009

Reviews seemed ok so I booked the room through Expedia.com and got a great price for the Columbus Day weekend.
Pulled into the very narrow parking garage, but I had a small car (I do not know how the SUVs make it). Check in was fast and easy and then up to my room. I was on the first floor (which is the 3rd floor because the 1st two floors are the parking garage and lobby). So I took the elevator to my floor. First impression of the hallway was something from a scary movie in the 80s. Dark and dingy hallway! I opened my door and I could not stop laughing. The room was so in need for major renovations. I was surprised that the TV was working because it was so old (I think it was from the 70s). My friend arrived later and could not believe I booked this room. I was like the reviews were not that bad. At least we had a refrigerator and two beds. Well I kept my socks on while walking around the room and they were pretty dirty. The bed was not very comfortable either. I tossed and turned all night long. I needed to get a good night sleep since I had to be up and out of the motel by 7 a.m. At least they had free internet! The free internet helped me find a better room. We booked across the street at the Atlantic Inn.
The motel is close to the main shopping area in Rehoboth Beach. I would not recommend this motel to anyone. I felt dirty the one night there. Pay the extra money and stay some place else.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends

83 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Middletown, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

Have to concur with some of the previous reviews: the parking (on 2 levels) is tight as are the entry/exit ramps; the place has a "faded" feeling (especially the hallways at night); the location is fantastic for shopping/dining but it is 2 long blocks to the beach (get a cart for big loads and/or kids). However, we found the (king-size) bed to be just fine as is, and the pool/sun deck location very nice - the sun deck has a 2nd story view of most of Rehoboth Avenue and the indoor, unheated pool was great for cooling off. Price we paid (w/AARP discount) did not seem cheap, especially when we compared other motels' price schedules, but the Sandcastle was one of the few places available 2-months in advance. Staff was very friendly (but no vacuuming during our stay either). Our room had a dorm-sized refrigerator and small sink in the room (no microwave but one is in the office).

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
las vegas, nv
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

My family and a friend stayed at Sandcastle and found it most accommodating for the money and location. When I first saw some of the reviews, I was hesitated but our room (308) was great. Quite clean and good condition. It was adequate for us. It was far from the reviews I read before. The staff, especially Al and the lady that worked the late shift, were just great! Honestly, I think a lot of people think accommodations they get away from home should be "like home". Anyway, we would stay there again especially with free parking which is a good deal!

• Stayed August 2009
PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

We needed an inexpensive hotel to host a Girl Scout weekend and this pace worked out just fine. It was hard to get a reservation anywhere for a reasonable price or 1 night stay since it was Greyhound Weekend. The rooms were a decent size and clean. The price was so good at the Sandcastle that we were able to dine at the Cultured Pearl.

• Stayed November 2008
Rockville, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2009

My wife and 2 young children (2 yrs. and 7 mos.) stayed for 3 nights. We found the rooms at the Sandcastle to be acceptable - ALMOST what you might expect from your average chain hotel. Though we had a good stay, the place is a bit outdated, a bit dingy, and very basic. The price (around 2/3 of what other hotels in similar location were charging) is the primary reason we may decide to return.

THE GOOD:
-The location is great - on Rehoboth Ave. and near the nightlife (and alternative nightlife) on Baltimore St. Only two blocks from the beach (It was a long walk with two little kids and a cooler, though!).
-The desk staff was very friendly, and happy to assist when needed.
-The rooms were clean upon arrival - looked exactly as pictured on the hotel website.
-Everything was walking distance - we parked the car and didn't use it. (the info in some reviews saying that SUV's don't fit inthe garage is false. We were parked next to a Chevy Suburban, and saw Ford Explorers, Jeep Grand Cherokees, and Nissan Armadas, among others in garage - see my pictures)
-Street noise did not bleed into the room. Despite loud dance music being played at the man-friendly Aqua Grill across the street, the sound did not come into the room.
-Wi-Fi and Cable TV worked fine.

THE BAD:
-The housekeeping service did not vacuum during our visit. Everything else was ok - beds were made, towels replaced, trash emptied - but sand was constantly on the floor after day one.
-The hotel is older and has corridors open to the elements, giving the place a kind of run-down feeling. Your most basic chain hotel almost certainly has newer paint/carpet/furniture/linens. The parking garage houses a lot of garbage and feels a bit sketchy.
-The beds are made with a plastic mattress cover. They made the beds extremely loud and uncomfortable. We took them off after the first night and the beds were rendered fine.
-The pool, while clean, was pretty small - not really suitable for my 2 yr. old.
-The lobby coffee is on a burner all day and night and undrinkable - should be considered a hazard, not an amenity.

THE LOWDOWN:
If you are not looking for any luxury, the Sandcastle will likely suit you. It is clean and convenient. If you are looking for more than basic, you may want to try someplace more expensive.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2009

We found this motel to be great for what we needed. It is located 2 blocks from the boardwalk, clean and has a very friendly staff. While it may be a little outdated, our family just wanted a place to sleep because we spent the majority of our time at the boardwalk or beach. The Sandcastle Motel was perfect for what we wanted... it is cheap, clean and has a great location!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Fairfax, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

This Motel is in a great location! right on Rehoboth avenue... steos away from the restaurants and shops and only 3 blocks from the beach. The motel is definitely for the traveler on a budget who is not looking for a fancy, modern place to stay. This motel is definitely outdated... but who goes to the beach to stay in the room? My friend and I stayed here for 2 nights in July. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. The front desk staff were very frendly and helpful. There is also an indoor pool and sun deck here (but we didn't take advantage of either). The free parking was also a plus. Some negatives are that you have to pay 1$ for ice and and that the hotel is right next to the fire station (the horribly loud siren startled us a few times). Overall, the Sandcastle Motel is a nice, clean place to stay with freindly staff, in a great location.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Sandcastle Motel? Share your experiences!