“Terrible” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 29 Hotels in Rehoboth Beach
delaware
“Terrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2009

Close to the beach is the only thing going for this place. We left our final day at 5am because my husband and I were up all night because the beds were the worst in the world and the air conditioner was sooo loud we didn't get any sleep. The plastic on the mattresses made noise everytime you moved, gross. You know it is bad when you walk down the hallway and your 8 year old is making comments about how old and dated it is.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Rising Sun, Md
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2009

This is ok for price/location. I would have to say that if you are pretty desperate for a 1 to 2 night stay, then this is fine. If you are looking for a comfortable/somewhat accommodating place to stay for a week or even almost a week, then keep looking. The beds are the worst in the world. Its like laying on a brick, every morning my wife and I would wake up with neck and shoulder pain, and this is even after they just updated all of their bedding. The kids even complained that they tossed and turned. While taking a shower, the water would all of a sudden change to burning hot or freezing cold, whatever it felt like, not very pleasant. The parking is Very tight and short. If you have anything bigger than a midsized Suv, then your not parking here. We have also never been to a motel/hotel that required you to pay for ice. There are only 2 ice machines in the whole place and they are both on the parking floors, not the floors that you actually stay on. Like I said, 1 to 2 nights may be ok, but any longer and it starts getting very uncomfortable. We will be looking elsewhere for next year.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Rockville, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2008

As others have said, this place is dated and pretty econo looking but what do you expect at this price when you are only 2 blocks from the beach. We spent $140 a night! You can't beat that price! The staff at the motel is very nice and accomodating and the room was clean and the sheets were clean. They let us leave our car in the lot and also let us use the pool shower and changing room and even gave us clean towels after we'd already checked out. I would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Location and Price
  • Disliked — Outdated
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2008

Just returned from a night at the Sandcastle in Rehoboth Beach. I would not stay there again. I would spend the extra money to stay elsewhere. While i cannot put my finger on any one specific complaint lets just say the place is very dated and in need of a dramatic makeover.

I stayed on the second floor, the same floor as the indoor pool and the smell of the pool permeated the entire floor. The lock on the slider to the balcony was not working and the door handle itself was broken. The door to the hallway had no secondary lock on it, however you could see where one once was by the screw holes but it had been ripped out.

The room had a feel of not being particularly clean. I am sure it had been changed but the place had look and feel that no matter what you did you would not feel it was clean. With so many locks broken you never felt completely safe either.

The good points were that they offer a parking garage, though not very well lit. The location is great, just a few blocks to the boardwalk and a great beach. The girl on duty when we checked in was pleasant, our room was ready early, and the price was good. However, even with all that I would not stay at the Sandcastle another night until they invest major $$$.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — cleanliness
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Pittsburgh, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2008

After our stay, we strongly suggest to select another motel if you can afford it. We found this motel quite disappointing and lacking in several areas. While the room was clean, it was in major need of renovations. The mattress left much to be desired and left our backs aching. To top it all off, cash went missing from our room after the maids had cleaned it. The next day, our "Do not disturb" request was violated. Also, the parking lot is tight and difficult to park in, even for average sized cars. It's true that the location is convenient, but unfortunately, we would never go back.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Service, comfort.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Columbus, OH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2008

This hotel is less expensive than other hotels and is the worth the $$$$$. It's 3 blocks from the beach and your car is kept in a garage. It may not be the classiest, however, it works for the short period of time your in the room. It is very clean, has a refrigerator and hair dryer. The staff takes their time with check in/check out and gives good directions to great eating places! I recommend the hotel to people who are on the go and just need a place to hang their hat! I'll be back....!

• Liked — Close to the beach
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dunedin, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2008

Based on previous reviews for this property in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware my husband and I booked three nights in June. Although we have been to Rehoboth many times in the past we passed by this property thinking "it looks OK from the outside but it's probably just a cheap motel". We found it to be a really convenient, clean, best bang for your buck place to stay. I do have one tip that I did not remember seeing in other reviews. The motel does not have wi-fi or even internet available. However, across the street is the Rehoboth public library with wi-fi and computers available at no cost. We would stay at this motel again in a heartbeat. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. I originally booked two nights but discovered a week before our trip that we needed to arrive a day early. The room rate (on their website) had gone up since the original booking. I called the motel and spoke with a wonderful agent who told me there was availability on that night and he would honor the same discounted rate as the other two nights. Good value.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No internet access
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Sandcastle Motel? Share your experiences!