“A great place to stay...” 4 of 5 stars

Sandcastle Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   123 Second Street, Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971   |
Ranked #23 of 29 Hotels in Rehoboth Beach
New Jersey
“A great place to stay...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

I just came back yesterday from a long weekend at Rehoboth and stayed at the Sandcastle for the second year in a row. Unfortunately, I only spent one night last year because we were evacuated by the hurricane, so I couldn't really write a review. As with the other reviews, the Sandcastle could use some renovation, but it is far from falling apart. The rooms are adequately sized and clean. The bathroom is clean and there is plenty of hot water for the shower even at 6:30 on a Saturday night! What puts it at the top of my list is how accommodating everyone is. We got there several hours before check-in time, but our room was ready and we were able to check right in. At check-out, we were able to leave our car there for the day and use the bathroom and shower by the pool. A big shout-out to Nicole and Lorena (I'm sure I didn't get the spelling right!) who couldn't have been more helpful and friendly and nice!! The location is good - a short walk to the beach and right on Rehoboth Avenue.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I've read some previous reviews and agree that a renovation is needed but other than that it was clean, cheaper than other motels, and the location is perfect. One of the biggest perks that makes it the perfect beach motel is that on the day of check out you can leave your car parked all day and still use their pool which has a shower and bathroom to change for the trip home. That wins my business.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Marblehead, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

This was our first stay at the Sandcastle Motel, its the height of the summer season and we just wanted a night at the beach, so choice was limited. On arrival the guy at the front desk was friendly and efficient with our check in. Thats where the smiles stopped. We went to the room and on entering it smelt of Bleach (ok it was clean) but the decor was grubby, carpet was filthy and my 11 year old daughter, just looked at me! the look said it all and to be honest I felt the same way. But we were only there for 1 night and the location of the motel was ideal, a couple of blocks from the beach, had free parking and free Wifi. We didnt venture to the pool, to be honest I never used the shower, not because it wasnt clean, but it just felt unclean. Such a shame, a little attention to the paint and decor would lift this motel into the 21st century.

Room Tip: Its a lucky dip
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

This hotel would be a great candidate for the Hotel Impossible TV show. The location is awesome, and the coffee bar and front desk are great, but the awesome stops there. The hallways are scary, dimly lit with paint chips peeling. The elevator area by the parking area is in disrepair and dirty. The room was ok, with a dated bedspread, seemed pretty clean but taking a closer look there was a lot of dirt at the hair dryer. It looked like the cord hadn't been wiped in months. I used a towel to hold the dryer. The pool area looked nice and it was nice to be able to use the bathroom there to shower and freshen up before the drive home. All in all I wouldn't stay there again, since the room was nearly $200 and the overall ambiance of the hotel wasn't nice.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Warrington, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

Traveled here this weekend with my husband and daughter for a lacrosse tournament. We just needed a clean place to stay for two nights that was close enough to the tourney site while allowing us to sneak in some beach time. The Sand Castle was in the perfect location and was cheap, comparatively speaking. The decor was non-existent and the elevators and hallways down right scary. This being said, I would stay here again. The rooms are outdated with simple white walls and no real decorations to speak of. But the beds (1 King and 1 Single) were incredibly comfortable, the a/c very efficient on 94 degree + temps, and the bathroom had all the basics needed. All of this being said, it was incredibly clean and that was what was most important to us in the long run.

Would I spend a week at this hotel? Absolutely not. Would I spend another weekend here? No doubt about it.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

This was absolutely the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. The room was dirty and there was a nasty stain on the inside of the comforter on our bed. The bathroom had dirt on the floor and the carpet throughout the room was overall filthy. When it was time for us to leave, the elevator was broke so we had to carry all of our luggage down the steps. We will never stay there again!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

This hotel was part of my first experience with Rehoboth 2 years ago, during Memorial Day Weekend. I wanted to spend very little on accommodations, to allow more to be put towards libations and such; but, enough about my budgeting practices.
The Sandcastle Motel is conveniently located, just across the street from Aqua and a block from Blue Moon, you are sure to be able to find your way back after a night at the parties. The staff is friendly, when they are available, and I don't ever remember hearing the knock of a housekeeper, though they did come by. They came by to clean the rooms which are utilitarian, small, and as I have experienced on multiple occasions: somehow broken. One room had a broken sink and faucet, the other a broken screen door. The motel could do with a renovation.
The pool is not maintained very well, and would recommend not taking a dip in it. The suntanning deck however, is perfect, and a great spot to people watch the streets below.
So what is a good summary? Sandcastle Motel: When you care enough to spend the very least.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Sandcastle Motel? Share your experiences!