“You get what you pay for.” 2 of 5 stars

Sandcastle Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   123 Second Street, Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971   |
Ranked #21 of 29 hotels in Rehoboth Beach
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“You get what you pay for.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

It's cheap, has a great location, covered parking and a friendly staff. Now the bad: the rooms look like you stepped back to 1982. The elevator has a mind of it's own and the framing is rusted out. The indoor pool area is gross with mold growing in the pool and old wood on the walls that needs to be replaced. NOISY when the fire dept. alarm goes off next door or when the dumpsters are emptied. I stayed a Friday nite, Saturday night and Sunday night, OFF SEASON for about $205 total for one person.Rooms have no real view, but the front public terrace off of the pool is fun for people watching on Rehoboth Av.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the EAST side of the building, it HAS to be quieter!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

93 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
New Castle, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

good morning .
i want to say i search for hotel in area because i did not not want to be driving during jazz fest envents. i luck up found sandcastle motel right in heart of the rehoboth and also right next to convention center when i call i told that what my plans was and the lady that ook my order told me that convention center right next to hotle ( hooray) i was so happy ... and why first it was time to renew my drv lic right and for some reason i could not see the letter in that dam box.. so any way my lic wass taken that day but i had paid for the room and ticket it was my birthday best show in town coming i took my time and made it park my car ... i walk to beach check out all store i have a wonderful time at ( parrott bay ) i musta drank about 5 mojito it jumping i enjoyed it .. it felt so good to go some were by myself and have a ball it was the best birthday ever ( let me stop bragging ) back to hotel my room 108 street view and lovely view the young lady there she was african amercian young lady nice repect ful pleasant when i got there arrive little early it was no problem gave my key i was history until check out .... i under stand about some thing that people complain about but all over it had a clean room bed slept good it was quiet i park my suv nothing happen to it my bill 91.00 dollar a ngt not bad comapred to other 120-200 a ngt so before you complain this is not ur house it a get away for what ever reason u r there for enjoy and make the best out it you are going home .... sometine we look for worse and that how you miss enjoying yourself .. no flooding no bad smell no bugs ... be thankful ........ rhae ross new castle de .

Room Tip: my room was 108 it had small balconey i enjoyed that i could sit out and smoke so ask for my roo...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Buffalo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

We just returned from a 5 day stay at this motel, 3 people for under $300. Can't beat the price and we walked to the boardwalk and beach without paying the hefty price for on the boardwalk motels/hotels. The rooms were always kept very clean. Staff was friendly and told us where to go for breakfast.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

We recently stayed at the Sandcastle for 3 nights, 9/22-2/25, We chose this property because of its great rates for the time we were going. The 3 night stay in a standard (two double beds) was a total of around $270 for the 3 nights, taxes and all. It was by far the best rate I found for a property right in the heart of the downtown.
We checked in early, around 12:30pm and were greeted in a very friendly and upbeat manner. Our room was ready (106) and we checked right in. The Motel does have off street private parking, which was very nice (though the parking garage was a bit tight).
We took an elevator up to the 1st floor from the office, and were a little worried about what we saw. The hallway was a bit dreary, and tired looking. It def needed more lights. But after that first 30 seconds, we opened the door to our room, and all worries disappeared. The room was bright, clean, and cool. The air was on (was very warm that weekend) and the room was nice and cool. The room had a mini-fridge, table with 2 chairs, 2 double beds, nice size bathroom and a TV. Everything worked well. The TV was on the older side, like 25+ years old, but worked, The mattresses looked new, the linens were fine.
The bathroom was clean, and had good water pressure.
To be fair, the carpet in the room had seen better days, why anyone would carpet a beach motel is beyond me, but thats about the only thing that needed work.
The staff was very friendly each time I popped down for a question, and on check in/out.
And the location was great. 2-3 blocks from the beach on the main drag. Couldn't beat it.
Combine the price, and taking in the whole experience, this stay was well worth the money.
My only "complaint" was the hallway and the TV. But those are small compared to the great value

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

I stayed here two nights. I booked after Labor Day, and I benefited from the motel's Fall Rates. The location is the best feature of the Sandcastle Motel. It is located on the main street with shops and services very handy. The staff were friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: My window and balcony on the second floor faced ENE, and it was possible to see a tiny bit of the At...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

My sigificant other, Kathy and myself stayed here. It's just steps to the boardwalk and in the center of everything. Very clean and the staff - all of them were very friendly and accomidating. It feels like you are staying with family and not just a renter in a large hotel. We enjoyed people watching from our balcony. There is a refrigerator in the roo and a small bar sink. No coffee in the room, but pots by the front desk. They have an indoor pool and sundeck for the days that you don't want to go to the beach. We would recommend this to Hotel to anyone & everyone.

Room Tip: A Wonderful Trip - A Wonderful Place to Stay
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Gaithersburg, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

Our family booked two rooms for a three night stay. The mixed reviews on tripadvisor concerned us a little, but thought we would give it a try anyway. We found the negative reviews to be greatly exaggerated. Yes, the hallways were dimly lit, but the walls and carpets were clean. Extra wattage was not needed. It was certainly safe. And yes, the garage was a tight squeeze, especially for those bringing their SUVs, but having a free parking spot in Rehoboth was worth it. (Just make sure you drive in and out very slowly.) The lighting was more than adequate. Once we parked our car, everywhere we wanted to go was within easy walking distance. Our rooms were on the back side of the motel. Although we didn't have an ocean view, we certainly enjoyed the quiet. It may have been quiet on the other side as well. Generally, the crowds in Rehoboth Beach are not too rowdy. We all found our beds to be comfortable. Our bathrooms were sparkling clean. The separate wet bar and small refrigerator were handy and gave us a little room to prepare snacks and drinks away from the bathroom. Our maid was polite, friendly, and helpful. It was the same with the front desk clerk who had to deal with numerous phone calls about the impending hurricane. She answered everyone in a friendly and professional manner. She was a very nice person who made everyone feel at home. The coffee was fine. The test? Our oldest daughter can be particular about her coffee and she had no problems with it. She even went back for refills. The outside stairs were an airy, easy climb with ample lighting in the evenings. The pool is green in color, but not because of dirt or algae or anything like that. That is its color by design. It was clean and refreshing with good circulation coming from the outdoor rooftop patio. We enjoyed walking to the beach by way of Baltimore Avenue so we could check out the many restaurants and shops we wanted to visit later. The Sandcastle Motel was perfect for our family gathering at the beach and we hope to get the opportunity to stay there again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Sandcastle Motel? Share your experiences!