“almost perfect...ALMOST” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Avenue Inn & Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Avenue Inn & Spa
You added Avenue Inn & Spa to your Saves list
33 Wilmington Avenue, Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971   |
Ranked #1 of 29 Hotels in Rehoboth Beach
everywhere
“almost perfect...ALMOST”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

I'll start right off by saying this is a GREAT place to stay, in fact if 4.5 stars was possible, I'd do that. My purpose isn't to blindly just say what was great though but also point out some shortcomings so visitors can make an informed choice.

Pros: great location- literally one block away from the beach and near the main strip of touristy stores on Rehoboth ave. Near great eating places. Lots of complimentary service: warm cookies at night, wine and cheese in the afternoon, great breakfast in the morning, shuttle to/from the beach. Service was personable. Rooms were decent, clean and comfortable. The fridge and microwave are perfect for a family!

As a parent with young kids (1 and 3 years old) I have to RAVE about the suite setups. I've stayed at 5 star resorts that didn't have the rooms set up so well! The extra suite room (living room) is opposite from the room frontdoor with a sliding door separating the two rooms. So we put our 1 year old in there with his crib and the rest of us could go in and out and use the bathroom without disturbing him! Other, fancier hotels have the extra room as a foyer area and the bedroom in the back so you have to walk through the extra room to get to the bedroom or bathroom, thus waking up whoever is in there. I couldn't have asked for a more perfect setup!

Now on to the not-so-good (Cons): The biggest complaint was that our air conditioning unit was very loud, not quite as loud as the noise inside an airplane but close. When it turned on and off it would occasionally wake both us and our kids up, to the point where we turned it off because it interrupted our sleep. I'm not sure if it was just our room or all the rooms are like that. In all fairness, because we were staying just two night and the temperature at night wasn't so bad as to need the air-con we didn't mention it to the management, perhaps it was just a fluke. But in the interest of an accurate review, I'll mention it. Also I have to say that some of the perks that are mentioned on the website and brochures, aren't mentioned in the check in booklet (free towels, shuttle service to beach, free beach chairs) nor at check in, so some research ahead of time is needed to take full advantage- I'd recommend to the management to update the guest information books in the room to mention all these perks for people who have bad memories or didn't read the brochures completely. Like I said in the 'pros' sections the rooms are clean and comfortable but certainly not at the level of a 5 star hotel, the decor is a bit dated as is the furniture- but this is not so much a negative as just something to know when deciding on where to stay depending on your preferences. The mattress is firm and not a luxurious pillow top, the linens are adaquate and nothing fancy. This certainly has the feel of a very personal mom-and-pop place so the upside is very friendly personal service, but the downside is that when things are busy the front desk (at most manned by 2 people but more often 1 person) can be under-staffed.

In conclusion I'd highly recommend this place, loved staying here and would come back. The suite setup is perfect for families and there are plenty of freebies and its a great location. At the same time this is definitely an "Inn" (maybe more accurately a really, really nice motel) and not a 5 star hotel, so as long as you are not expecting 300 thread count linens, stylish furnishings and a front desk with 5 people answering phones- you're in for a real treat. I'd be curious what the management will say about the air-con noise (they do answer these posts very often), if you are going in the peak of summer and are a really light sleeper you may want to inquire about it. Also research all the perks because some of them seem a bit hidden and not advertised as clearly as they should,

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
SEABOARDHOTELS, Owner at Avenue Inn & Spa, responded to this review, July 21, 2010
Perfect! would have been a better heading but we let you down so we will have to accept almost perfect. :) You gave a thorough review and I am extremely grateful for your time in placing it to let others know about your experience.
First, and I say this to any potential guest reading this as well, PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! let our staff know if there is anything that is not working properly or that needs attention in your room. This is a classic example of "if we don't know about it we can't fix it". Everyone that works in the hotel is there to serve you the guest. We have two maintenace techs on during the day and one during the evening to work to fix any problem that may arise. By not letting us know about the problem during your stay we have no opportunity to make it right.
Our suite rooms are by far the most popular in season for exactly the reasons you describe, great to hear how well it worked for you. We will work on a guest information booklet that will better explain all of our ever expanding services and amenities, great idea, sorry we did not offer better info during your stay. Finally, we do in fact only order 300 count thread sheets now though there may be a few 250 counts still in the rotation, hopefully you will notice the change during your next stay. Thank you agin for the great review and for choosing the Avenue. We hope to make it perfect for you next time!
Seaboard Hotels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

I have been to Rehoboth Beach many times over the years and our recent stay at the Avenue Inn was one of the best in terms of accommodations. The location is ideal; just over one block to the beach and right in the heart of Rehoboth. I considered the rate fair for a weekend in June and certainly less expensive than comparable properties.

The staff at the hotel was consistently friendly and attentive. From check-in, to assiting finding a parking spot late Saturday evening; to breakfast; to checking out loaner beach chairs; to check-out -- each encounter was positive and friendly. The breakfast is tasty and kid-friendly with choices of bagels and pastry; fruit and cereal and a couple of hot dishes. Certainly higher quality than any chain hotel breakfast spread; perhaps a notch below a B&B however.

Our room on the second floor was quiet, clean and comfortable. The pool was clean, just the right temperature and relaxing. There is also a nice sundeck. We did not have the opportunity to check out the Spa. As some have commented, this hotel caters to both families and relaxation seekers. At times, like in the pool, those two worlds may collide.

The Avenue Inn would be our first choice on our next visit.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
It is always a pleasure for me to read about how well our staff treats and relates to our guests. We focus on our motto of "Friendliness and Cleanliness" as we know that is what drives a successful property no matter what else the hotel may offer. Coupled with all of the services and amenities in addition to our great location, which you mentioned, we are confident we are the best choice when choosing a hotel in Rehoboth.
Thank you for choosing the Avenue during your last visit to town. We hope you have found a new spot that you will always feel confident will deliver the experience you expect and enjoy. Your review is well received and much appreciated.
Whiting, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

The place was clean, well taken care of, and the room I stayed in was very nice. The staff was friendly and helpful when you asked questions but otherwise they seemed busy taking care of the place. I got there at 2:30pm and was a little tired from driving but expected to have to wait till 3:00pm to check in. To my surprise they let me check in, and this was before they ask my name. I was very thankful for this.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
As a family owned and operated hotel we truly are concerned about the experience you have when staying with us. We want our housekeepers to be thorough and quick so that your room is ready as early as possible. We recognize that vacation time is important and waiting for your room to be ready is not a fun way to start your stay. That being said on heavy turn over days it is not always possible to get in prior to 3pm but we always guarantee a 3pm check-in.
Thank you for choosing the Avenue and for your time in placing a review, it is sincerrely appreciated!
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

Well I just got back from a short but leisurely stay at the Avenue Inn in Rehoboth. The entire staff is kind and welcoming. I loved the chocolate chip cookies available in the evenings and the wine and cheese in the late afternoons. This hotel had a casual ease about it that fits in perfectly with the easy attitude of Rehoboth Beach.

My only complaint was the loud kids at the pool (which closes at 11PM!). We were staying on the third floor right across from the indoor/outdoor pool, and screams can be heard all day long. I DO plan on coming back to this hotel when kids get back into school and when the pool will *hopefully* be more adult friendly.

• Stayed June 2010
SEABOARDHOTELS, Owner at Avenue Inn & Spa, responded to this review, July 6, 2010
We will be excited to have you back during the off-season aka 'Quiet Season'. We are very much a family oriented hotel during our busier summer season. Our perfect location in town is a huge plus when going to the beach, walking to dinner, or walking to Funland so we are predominately families in season. Our stainless steel indoor pool is large enough to handle quite a few kids and when they are having fun there is no denying they can be loud! Please be sure to ask for a room on the 2nd floor or on the Rehoboth Avenue side of the building when you come down next time to assure a peaceful stay. Thank you for the review, your thoughts on the pool I am sure will help others in choosing their room as some like the proximity while others enjoy the peace. We are grateful for your business and look forward to you making the Avenue your beach house in Rehoboth.
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

Booked a mini-vacation at The Avenue in early June for our first trip to Rehoboth in years...actually our FIRST time to stay in town. What a little jewel!! Friendly service, extra clean rooms (NO sand in the bathrooms and REAL water pressure at the beach!!). We had a room with a balcony on Wilmington Avenue...great for people-watching and coffee-drinking (coffee is provided all day and evening by the the way...decaf too!)
Lovely buffet breakfasts every morning with hot egg casseroles, bagels, fruit, cereal, juices...not too crowded over our weekend. Vouchers were also offered for Sammy's Restaurant breakfasts if you chose, and we did this our last morning...super offerings there as well and seven dollars each covered most of our meal!!
LOVED the wine and cheese and warm cookies in the evenings, and the very good advice about fine dining in the area. Don't miss the stainless steel pool if you have time!!
DO pay attention to the directions on the website: valuable advice there about SPEED LIMITS in the small towns on the way!! You can afford to stay an extra day on the cost of a ticket.
We will definitely be back to The Avenue, probably NOT via Route 16....
I could not see any reason to stay anywhere BUT the Avenue when we DO return!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
SEABOARDHOTELS, Owner at Avenue Inn & Spa, responded to this review, June 23, 2010
We are always confused by visitors coming to our area that choose to stay outside of town. When you visit the beach you should stay at the beach! Most likely the choice out of town is a chain hotel as people feel more comfortable choosing a chain over an unknown independent property. With travel review sites such as tripadvisor the tide has changed and now great independent hotels get the exposure they deserve. Thank you for giving us a try and for taking the time to review the Avenue. You do us a wonderful service for which I am extremely grateful. Your business is sincerely appreciated and we look forward to having you as our "in town" guest again soon!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

We had a blast at the Avenue Inn, it was the perfect location. We stayed at the Avenue II
and the room was clean and comfortable. It was large and it accomodated our family very nicely. We stayed in the room that faced Rehoboth Ave. and it was a short trip down the stairs and you were right in the action. Our trip was a combination baseball (sports at the beach)/vacation and I'm hoping we will do the same next year. There were a few other families that stayed at the Avenue Inn from the same Baseball Organization and they also loved it. It felt like home. I'm not one to write reviews good or bad, however I do read them. The Aenue Inn was that exceptional that I want people to know.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience. We sincerely appreciate your business and the kind words. We will look forward to you staying with us again.
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

We went with a large group with two young children and our stay at the Avenue Inn really made our time there a lot easier and more enjoyable. While this is not a five star hotel like Intercontinental or Mandarin Oriental it is certainly well above other hotel offerings in the area. The rooms don't have the most up to date decor but everything is new, clean and fresh. Clean and fresh are not qualities to be underestimated when traveling with children. The heated pool on the third floor was really nice because the ocean was too cold and rough for real swimming and the kids really want to swim even after splashing around at the beach. The hot tub and deck are nice for the adults. What sets this place apart, though, is the staff - everyone is so friendly and helpful. For example, one of the staff entertained my nine year old niece trading silly bands which she just thought was so cool. The breakfast is basic but kind of good - three choices of egg frittata, french toast, fruit, cereal etc. Again everything was clean and fresh and staff were always on hand helping and keeping everying moving nicely. I normally take nicer adults only vacations, so this was a bit out of my comfort zone, but I was really pleased with the hotel and would come back again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
SEABOARDHOTELS, Owner at Avenue Inn & Spa, responded to this review, June 18, 2010
After reading your review I looked at your profile and read some of your other reviews. You certainly are a seasoned traveler and you know the best places to stay. That being said it made your review even more gratifying to me. We want to portray our hotel exactly as it is to potential guests and I think your review was right on. We feel we are a tremendous value comparable to the hotels in Rehoboth and we know we can offer the best in service. As a family owned and operated property we are on site every day working hard to present a product that will make guests recognize our efforts and instill in them that we are the best choice at the beach. Thank you so very much for your time in placing a review and for choosing the Avenue.
p.s. I agre with your review on Inn at Perry Cabin, not what it used to be. :(
Seaboard Hotels

Been to Avenue Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!