“Loved the Avenue Inn” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Avenue Inn & Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Avenue Inn & Spa
You added Avenue Inn & Spa to your Saves list
33 Wilmington Avenue, Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971   |
Ranked #1 of 29 Hotels in Rehoboth Beach
Lake Hiawatha, New Jersey
“Loved the Avenue Inn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Avenue Inn from December 26th to 29th. We are considering Delaware as a possible retirement destination in a few years and wanted to see what the area was like in the off-season. We choose the Avenue Inn because of the reviews on Trip Advisor. Our room overlooked the main street, Rehoboth Avenue.

Room: Balcony with two rocking chairs; gas fireplace; king size bed; microwave; mini-refrigerator; smallish bathroom; 80 channel cable TV. Not all rooms are similar so check the hotel’s web site for choices.

Hotel Amenities: Indoor pool; sauna; hot tub on the outside deck off the pool area (open in winter); large elevator; spa; complimentary continental breakfast with cereal, fruit, cake, etc.; complimentary wine and cheese in the lobby from 5:00pm to 7:00pm; chocolate chip cookies at 8:00pm; coffee and tea available to 11:00pm on weekends; and onsite parking in the garage below. The hotel has access to Rehoboth Avenue and to Wilmington Avenue which is actually the entrance.

Value: The hotel was running a stay three nights, pay for two special. Can’t beat that. If you go in the winter, look for specials on their web site. Considering the location and the amenities, the summer rates are in my view significantly lower than what you would expect to pay at the Jersey Shore.

Rehoboth Beach: It is one and one-half short blocks to the boardwalk which is busy even in the winter. Many shops are open all year long on the streets running down to the beach.

Restaurants: There is no restaurant on site but even in late December there are many restaurants in the area. We highly recommend the Mariachi Restaurant which opened last summer. It is on Wilmington, a short walk in the direction of the beach. The food is Spanish – Mexican. We liked it so much we ate there twice. “Prospero Ano Nuevo” to waiters Leonardo and Ricardo and co-owner Jose.

Shopping: A short ride takes you to Route 1 and the malls. At the three Tanger Outlet Malls you can find great prices and sales you would not believe. There is no sales tax in Delaware so the prices are even better.

We will be back in the summer to investigate the area further and we'll let you know.

• Liked — All the little things the hotelprovided.
  • Disliked — The bathroom was somewhat small.
  • Tips/Secrets — Winter is a great time to visit Rehoboth Beach.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2006

My boyfriend and I just stayed there and had an outstanding time!! The room was spacious and comfortable offering full basic cable with HBO. The balcony overlooked the main street and offered two rocking chairs and a little table. The continental breakfast was tasty and offered a good assortment of quick food with the comfort of a breakfast at home. In the afternoon is a complimentary wine and cheese that can be enjoyed in their lobby. The same goes with the plate of hot chocolate chip cookies that is offered in the evening. This is not to mention the heated indoor pool, hot tub, sauna, and steam room. All areas were very clean and well kept up. The staff was very friendly and accomodating and it was evident that they cared about the guest experience. Fellow hotel guests were just as friendly to talk with and it was very easy to strike up a good conversation with a complete stranger. The atmosphere was very comfortable all around. No complaints at all!!!!!

• Liked — Great staff and comfortable room
  • Disliked — Nothing at all. I was completely satisfied with everything about it.
  • Tips/Secrets — Have a good time and enjoy what's offered!!!!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Northern Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2006

I visit Rehoboth Beach 2-3 times per year. I stay at the various hotels in the area in hopes of finding the one that fits me best. It's not the Avenue Inn (I stayed at Avenue II). Although it was clean and had many amenities, I was assigned a room (#403) that opened immediately into the vending machines area. When I asked to be relocated, I was told they were 100% booked (despite the parking lot never having more than 5 or 6 cars). I had to ask to have the hot water checked when I ran out of hot water within a couple minutes of my shower. After 20 minutes or so I was told I just needed to run the water a few extra minutes. I had already ran the water for several minutes before I notified the front office only for it to get colder but after my call, the water did get hot.....hmmmm. It advertised high-speed internet access but the only place I could access the internet was in the main lobby, not in my room. Rehoboth's hotels are outrageously over-priced for what is available and this hotel is definitely no exception. I'm sure that's at least one hotel in the area that's worth the price so I'll keep looking.

• Liked — Spa
  • Disliked — Room location
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away from rooms 402 and 403
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
SIMPLER HOTELS, Director Of Operations at Avenue Inn & Spa, responded to this review, November 28, 2006
This gentleman stayed in our Annex building, Avenue II which is open from May 1 through the middle of November. It is only twelve rooms of which six are closed at the first of November as we become short staffed in housekeeping. Both properties were 100% booked so there was no option to move him to another room. This also explains why there were only six cars, because there were only six room sold at the Avenue II. We installed a new hot water system that can not work with recirculating water lines so it does take a few minutes to warm up which is exactly what happened, no reason for us to not give our guests hot water, that would be bad for business! Internet acces is available exactly as it says on our web site, within the lobby, entire building acces is being installed this winter. He did have a room with a bad view, which we are working on improving, if another room was available we absolutely would have given him the option. Otherwise his complaints are without merit. We try to make every single guest pleased with their stay and we are disapponted when we fail. Thanks for reading my response.
Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2006

I recently stayed at the Avenue Inn. This was my second visit,
having stayed there 3 years prior. I have to say I was impressed with everything all over again. The lobby looked beautiful.
The staff was very efficient. Clean Clean. The elevator is huge
and well kept, a feature I look for in hotels. The room was nice, i enjoyed sitting out on a fall day over looking a quiet Wilm. Avenue, and could see the clear sky over the ocean, just beautiful for a fall day, clear and crisp. I enjoyed the hottub too very clean. The breakfast was very homey, I really liked it.

The best part was enjoying every moment there, went down for
5:00 wine and cheese, had dinner out, then returned to delicious homeade cookies and hot tea in the lobby, with the fireplace going and hearing beautiful stereo music. I felt content and loved people watching too!. Nice treat, and I love to stay at the Aveneu Inn off season. I understand why they have a strict cancelation policy, cause the money is well worth the stay,
they have such nice touches, from parking to beach chairs toamenities, everything for the discerning B& B. But above all it didnt feel stuffy or snotty, just charming and homey.

Stayed November 2006
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2006

We needed a hotel near Cape Henlopen State Park and my fiance found Avenue Inn through Trip Advisor.

The location is great - just a block off the beach and close to all of the shops and restaurants. Check in was easy and the room was nice - large and clean. We had a little balcony looking towards the ocean - unfortunately we were there for the first Nor-Easter of the season, so did not have a chance to use it.

I loved the wine and cheese in the lounge. We each enjoyed a glass of wine while reading and relaxing, watched the fire and listened to two other couples play a heated game of Scrabble at the game table.

When we returned from dinner at Eden Restaurant, we were offered homemade cookies. We had to leave fairly early the next day so I cannot comment on the breakfast, but they did have a very nice coffee station set up in the lobby - much appreciated.

• Liked — Great location, B&B feeling
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2006

My wife and two young daughters ( ages 4 and 2 ) spent 3 days and two nights in Rehoboth Beach , DE the weekend of Sept 22-25 and stayed at the Avenue Inn. We come to Rehoboth yearly, usually after labor day, and have stayed at the Boardwalk Plaza in the past for that on the boardwalk location. I chose the Avenue Inn because of the great reviews I read as well as the very reasonable room rates. The hotel is just perfect. We reserved a two-room suite that had two queen size beds and a pullout sofa. The hotel is a block from the beach and its front/lobby side is on a quiet, un-busy street. There are slightly larger rooms with balconies, but because the hotel is not on the beach, your view would most likely be other building's rooftops. Check in was a breeze; ythe staff seemed very dedicated to their roles and really take their time to make sure you have all of the hotel's information. They have complimentary breakfast ( mostly cereals, egg quiches, bagels, etc. ), a nightly wine and cheese happy hour and an evening tray of fresh baked cookies out in the lobby until they are all gone. The hotel also has a small pool facing a rooftop terrace with a hot tub that is open practically all day. We did the beach in the afternoon and pool in the evening one day ( to tire the kids out ) and it was a delightful time. My only complaint about the hotel is that the room a/c was a bit loud and for people who do like some sort of view or natural light, we just had one small window at the far end of the room for outdoor light. Othetrwise, we are already thinking of when to return for an adults-only getaway.

• Liked — Room rate and location
  • Disliked — Small window and noisy air conditioner
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
pittsburgh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2006

Cheap, dirty, and overpriced. In fact, the Op manager stated, "We don't believe in the concept that the customer is always right". The staff is VERY rude. As I stated to the help, "I wouldn't allow my dog to stay there".

• Liked — I'll never have to stay again
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Tips/Secrets — There are NICER, CHEAPER, and STAFF FRIENDLY hotels in the surrounding area.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
SIMPLER HOTELS, Director of Operations at Avenue Inn & Spa, responded to this review, November 28, 2006
The power was out due to Hurricane Ernesto from 11pm until 4am, I was personally on sight until 2:30am to assist any guests coming in late as the bars close at 1am in Delaware. This guest showed up at 3am after a night of heavy partying and was acting in a disrespectful and belligerent manner towards our night desk clerk who was assisting another guest at the time. She was offered a discount for her troubles, even though power outages are out of our control, she refused expecting a full refund. I denied her request for a full refund as the hotel was full and she deserved no special treatment. I explained to her that when someone acts as she did that evening towards one of my employees and acts as rudely and says the demeaning things she did to me while I was attempting to resolve the issue I do not care to have them as a customer. I also explained that I do not believe the customer is always right because she was in fact wrong.

Been to Avenue Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!