“Very excessive and ridiculous parking tickets” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Beaches
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: A sandy public beach that offers various organized sports activities every evening during the summer plus special designated areas for surfing and surf fishing.
Baltimore, Maryland
“Very excessive and ridiculous parking tickets”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I used to be a frequent traveler to Rehoboth beach but I have to say there is no way I will ever set foot there. One day I put all my change in the meter and wanted to extend the period so I tried ParkMobile which kept crashing on me and since I had to pick up an old relative in a wheelchair, it took me 10 extra minutes to find $30 ticket that I disputed and explained the situation and they can check ParkMobile log to validate my claim to find out that I am now due to pay $110, ya $110 for 10 minute over parking while I did my best to do the right thing. This city is not worthy of your business or mine.

Visited June 2014

everywhere
8 attraction reviews
“Great beach- some tips for families with young kids”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I won't rehash the reviews- it's an overall great beach that's still a hidden gem compared to Ocean City or the NJ Shore. We went for a week in July and it was never overly crowded, and was clean and very family friendly. So if you've already decided to go with some young kids, here are some tips- some Rehoboth specific and some not:

Parking- we went at the height of the summer season (july) and a quick trick we learned is that the parking meters on Rehoboth Ave (main road leading to boardwalk) don't start until 10am and you can prepay them. In other words you can arrive at 8am (which for those of us with young kids is called a "late start") choose a parking spot literally 50 feet from the beach, feed $4.50 into the meter ($1.50/hour with max of 3 hours) and your spot is paid for until 1pm! You've just gotten 2 free hours of parking AND a super close spot. For those tech savvy parents we did the parking app and it worked fine (you can feed the meter from your smartphone) but do be aware that there is a $0.50 extra fee PER TRANSACTION so if you are going to use it- do a lot of hours at a time or else you'll be paying a lot extra.

Umbrellas- there are umbrellas for rent- when we went it was $12/day + tip (some of the people do linger around after you paid them $12 to hint for the tip...). If you are going multiple days and have young kids (like us) You can get inexpensive beach tents off Amazon for $50 which you can use repeatedly year after year and give better protection than the umbrellas. (Even in one trip, three days of renting the umbrella is already $14-15/day x 3!)

Nearby Henlopen Park has FREE (yes FREE) bike borrowing, even has bike trailers and tandem bikes to tow your little ones in. Do get there early, when we went there was already a line at 9am when it opened and there are only 2 trailers and 2 tandem bikes. At the Nature Center- the Nature center itself is small but have some tanks of fish and a petting aquarium with 2 sad looking horseshoe crabs. (Yes I know this isn't Rehoboth Beach technically, but I don't feel like writing a whole new review for Cape Henlopen Park!).

Note there are no changing rooms or bathhouses so be aware. Come dressed for the beach! There are public restrooms but technically you are not allowed to change in them.

I would also recommend, depending on how long your vacation is- to really consider renting a house further away instead of splurging on a beachside suite hotel or nearby house- given how easy the parking is (see above) we spent CONSIDERABLY less by renting a very large house (3 bedrooms bedrooms and kitchen- 2800 sq ft!) that was "far away". Plus we saved $$ by being able to cook and store food for packed lunched as opposed to having to eat out all the time. So we chose a place that was 15 minutes drive away- got rock bottom prices but still was able to park steps away from the beach and on non-beach days could easily go to Outlets, grocery shopping and other attractions. Plus the development we stayed in had a pool!

The only reason I subtracted 1 star was that there was one rainy day and there is very little to do for the young-crowd indoors. No really fun museums, no indoor activities- a movie theatre and really that's it. The boardwalk is also, admittedly not as extensive or grand as those in NJ or Ocean City, but it is simply and fun enough for the younger crowd.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
6 attraction reviews
“A LOT has changed since my last visit in the 80s-sad”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I was stationed at Dover back in the early 80s. We would hit Rehoboth every day we had off in the summer. Back then maybe 2 blocks were of retail. So we thought we would go and revisit my old stomping grounds. Holy cow. Packed. I mean REALLY packed. Forget trying to get a parking spot. And if you do, make sure you bring a roll of quarters ( there are some machines that make change-only we didnt know that as it wasnt obvious but they are in the center islands). There are blocks and blocks of retail and eateries. The sidewalks are so packed you can barely walk especially in the evening hours. Hungry to sit down for dinner? You might want to get a snack for the 45 min-1 hr wait. They have erected a gazebo where there is some sort of nightly enterainment, which is nice except it creates a logjam to the boardwalk. The beaches are ridiculously packed. We decided to head to one of the state park beaches (Seashores instead) where we had ample parking, had elbow room with shower facilities, bathrooms and a snack bar. We also didnt have to fuss about feeding a meter all day. So..sadly I wont go back to Rehoboth Beach to eat or to beach. I guess it would be ok if you got a place ON the beach to stay but we didnt so it is what it is.

Hagerstown, Maryland
3 attraction reviews
“Very clean and friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

This is, by far, the most well-maintained beach I've been to. The sand is always very clean, and while it can get very crowded, you can always just walk a bit for a good quiet space. Life guards are usually always on-duty, and I've never once seen any occasions or mismanagement by the staff and beach caretakers.

This is a great family and couples beach to visit, though I would strongly recommend arriving earlier than later before the crowds set in. That, and you should go in the springtime when the horseshoe crab breeding season is set in place, but only if you're a fan of those.

Visited June 2014
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
3 attraction reviews
“Great boutique with very fun stuff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Josephine's Daughter is a very eclectic store. way fun and not to be missed for those who love wearable art and unusual clothing.